LOR Question: How specific should i ask my professor to be?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TRex77

LOR Question: How specific should i ask my professor to be?

Postby TRex77 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:33 pm

So one area of law I am interested in is water law. Some schools have environmental programs, some don't, but it seems like most have at least some environmental classes.

One of my professors who I am getting a LOR from is a economist who specializes in water, and I aced his water economics class so was thinking of having him put something in my letter about having an interest/passion for water law/economics (we covered law in the class too).

I think this would be a plus for schools with environmental programs, but would it be a negative with schools that don't specifically have environmental programs?

Should I have him put that in my LOR, or just have him write a general one about how I am a start guy, ect.

Thanks!

YaSvoboden

Re: LOR Question: How specific should i ask my professor to be?

Postby YaSvoboden » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:53 am

I am actually interested in this as well, but for tax from the tax classes I have had. Is it better for a professor to talk about how you are as a student in general or how much interest you have in an area in an area that you are likely to focus on? Or should both of these things easily fit into a letter of rec?

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:57 am

Oddly, I can answer your question despite not understanding virtually any of your OP (WTF is water law/water economics?).

Answer: it doesn't matter. I'd say keep it general, to avert the risk that your prof goes off on a tangent that makes you sound unidimensional/weird.

LoRs aren't a particularly important part of the admissions packet, esp. from applicants without WE. Also, they're being read by an adcomm who got her JD from the the prestigious Wiedner College of Law, doesn't know or care about Water Use Law (or Maritime Law, Admiralty Law, Hydro-Law or anything else... it's all the same shit, right?), and will be irritated by an LoR that is out of the norm, but not in an interesting way.

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:58 am

Maritime Law?

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:29 am

Maritime Law?

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's maritime law that the OP is talking about because of the connection made with environmental law. In the more desert like states water rights for property are a pretty big deal and it could be along those lines? Either way that seems really specific and I wonder how one would develop an interest in it.

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:52 am

flcath wrote:I'd say keep it general, to avert the risk that your prof goes off on a tangent that makes you sound unidimensional

And even more, if that school doesn't have an environmental program, you run the risk of yield protection.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:36 am

YaSvoboden wrote:
Maritime Law?

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's maritime law that the OP is talking about because of the connection made with environmental law. In the more desert like states water rights for property are a pretty big deal and it could be along those lines? Either way that seems really specific and I wonder how one would develop an interest in it.

Riparian rights?

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:57 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
YaSvoboden wrote:
Maritime Law?

Riparian rights?

I was thinking more along these lines, but I have no clue what OP meant.

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:21 am

glewz wrote:
flcath wrote:I'd say keep it general, to avert the risk that your prof goes off on a tangent that makes you sound unidimensional

And even more, if that school doesn't have an environmental program, you run the risk of yield protection.

Even if a school doesnt have an environmental law program, they most likely will have environmental law classes though.

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:23 am

flcath wrote:Oddly, I can answer your question despite not understanding virtually any of your OP (WTF is water law/water economics?).

water economics is the economics or water. How it is distributed efficiently, ect.

Water law are the laws dealing with water.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:20 am

TRex77 wrote:
flcath wrote:Oddly, I can answer your question despite not understanding virtually any of your OP (WTF is water law/water economics?).

water economics is the economics or water. How it is distributed efficiently, ect.

Water law are the laws dealing with water.

Tyft

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:38 am

TRex77 wrote:
glewz wrote:

Even if a school doesnt have an environmental law program, they most likely will have environmental law classes though.

yp is becomes more likely if school thinks they are not your first choice. If your prof is all touting your interest/potential for env law, and the school's program isn't strong, yp

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:47 am

Why not have him talk about your interest in the subject and abilities in that class without suggesting a future in it? The schools that are looking for people with an interest in the area (i.e. schools with a program) will read into it that you're interested, and those that don't have a program will just read it as a letter about how well you did in a class on an esoteric subject?

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:48 pm

bp shinners wrote:Why not have him talk about your interest in the subject and abilities in that class without suggesting a future in it? The schools that are looking for people with an interest in the area (i.e. schools with a program) will read into it that you're interested, and those that don't have a program will just read it as a letter about how well you did in a class on an esoteric subject?

great advice, thanks a lot!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”