Declining an offer/withdrawing

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Mattfl88
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Declining an offer/withdrawing

Postby Mattfl88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:31 pm

So I have been accepted to a bunch of schools and I now have narrowed my choices down to a couple. I am looking to withdraw as to open up spots for other well deserving applicants.

I realize this probably has been discussed before but I had no luck with the search function.

Should I send them an email declining the offer or should I just let the deposit deadline pass? More specifically what should I say in the email (as I don't want to come across ungrateful or for lack of a better word douchey)?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Declining an offer/withdrawing

Postby northwood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:32 pm

pmd you

backtothebeat
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Declining an offer/withdrawing

Postby backtothebeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:So I have been accepted to a bunch of schools and I now have narrowed my choices down to a couple. I am looking to withdraw as to open up spots for other well deserving applicants.

I realize this probably has been discussed before but I had no luck with the search function.

Should I send them an email declining the offer or should I just let the deposit deadline pass? More specifically what should I say in the email (as I don't want to come across ungrateful or for lack of a better word douchey)?


+1

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Declining an offer/withdrawing

Postby Sandro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:42 pm

just take the emails schools send you when they reject you (You were very qualified, blah blah many students applied, cannot offer you a spot) and reverse it on them

Dear School,

Thank you for your interest in *Your Name*. This year *Your Name* received multiple offers of admission, and while *Your Name* was very impressed by *school's* credentials, *your name* is unable to accept your offer of admission at this time.

edit - or you can add them to your waiting list, in the event that better qualified schools close due to natural/budget disasters. Ask them to send LOCIs as well.
Last edited by Sandro on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Declining an offer/withdrawing

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Dear (admissions person, if you know their name/admissions committee):

I am grateful for your acceptance and the chance to attend (school name) this fall. However, I wish to decline because I have decided to attend another school. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

(name)
(LSAC number)

E-mail is fine.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: Declining an offer/withdrawing

Postby Heartford » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:So I have been accepted to a bunch of schools and I now have narrowed my choices down to a couple. I am looking to withdraw as to open up spots for other well deserving applicants.

I realize this probably has been discussed before but I had no luck with the search function.

Should I send them an email declining the offer or should I just let the deposit deadline pass? More specifically what should I say in the email (as I don't want to come across ungrateful or for lack of a better word douchey)?


Send them an email. Say something along the lines of, "I really appreciate your generous offer, but I have decided not to attend [LAW SCHOOL]. Thank you very much for your consideration. Sincerely, [YOU]."

Short and sweet. They won't be offended that you decline, but it's polite to let them know now so they can cross you off the list and offer a spot to someone else. Don't be surprised if you receive genuinely appreciative responses for your taking the time to let them know. A couple of schools thanked me for doing so, which suggested to me that most people just leave them hanging.

EDIT: didn't see van winkle's when I wrote mine. His is better.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Declining an offer/withdrawing

Postby kapital98 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Sandro wrote: edit - or you can add them to your waiting list, in the event that better qualified schools close due to natural/budget disasters. Ask them to send LOCIs as well.


ROFL :lol:

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: Declining an offer/withdrawing

Postby bergg007 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Sandro wrote:just take the emails schools send you when they reject you (You were very qualified, blah blah many students applied, cannot offer you a spot) and reverse it on them

Dear School,

Thank you for your interest in *Your Name*. This year *Your Name* received multiple offers of admission, and while *Your Name* was very impressed by *school's* credentials, *your name* is unable to accept your offer of admission at this time.

edit - or you can add them to your waiting list, in the event that better qualified schools close due to natural/budget disasters. Ask them to send LOCIs as well.



I bet they'd get a good laugh out of this honestly

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Declining an offer/withdrawing

Postby Sandro » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:49 pm

WUSTL's ding email can be a good template:
Dear XXXX,

We appreciate your interest in attending Washington University School of Law. This year, a record number of outstanding candidates applied to Washington University. The decision making process was particularly difficult, and there were many strong candidates that could not be offered admission. Although we are unable to offer you a seat in this year's class, the Admissions Committee was highly impressed with your credentials.

Thank you again for your interest in the School of Law and for your patience with our process. We wish you much success with your future plans.

Sincerely,

CrimLaw300
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Declining an offer/withdrawing

Postby CrimLaw300 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:54 pm

Sandro wrote:just take the emails schools send you when they reject you (You were very qualified, blah blah many students applied, cannot offer you a spot) and reverse it on them

Dear School,

Thank you for your interest in *Your Name*. This year *Your Name* received multiple offers of admission, and while *Your Name* was very impressed by *school's* credentials, *your name* is unable to accept your offer of admission at this time.

edit - or you can add them to your waiting list, in the event that better qualified schools close due to natural/budget disasters. Ask them to send LOCIs as well.


I lol'd. Very clever. Someone please do this and let us know how the school responds.

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Declining an offer/withdrawing

Postby mpj_3050 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Tell them where you are going/undecided because they will probably ask.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests