Withdrawing from a school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ChiCubs14

Withdrawing from a school

Postby ChiCubs14 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:19 am

Can someone tell me what the basic process for withdrawing from a law school...

I've been accepted to a couple schools that I'd like to withdraw from and I'm unsure about what the proper way to accomplish this is...

thank you

FeelTheHeat

Re: Withdrawing from a school

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:21 am

Search function, you can find some general e-mail withdrawal layouts. I just sent them to each school, got e-mails back from each one thanking me for doing so. Some asked what my plans were. That's all there is to it.

ChiCubs14

Postby ChiCubs14 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:26 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Search function, you can find some general e-mail withdrawal layouts. I just sent them to each school, got e-mails back from each one thanking me for doing so. Some asked what my plans were. That's all there is to it.

Thanks heat :D

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:28 am

Just wait til the deposit deadline and they'll take you off.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:36 am

Desert Fox wrote:Just wait til the deposit deadline and they'll take you off.

This. I seriously don't get why anyone would withdraw sooner and why everyone here puts so much pressure to do so. You aren't doing anyone any favors since schools don't typically decide to start pulling from the Waitlist until after the deposit deadline. You'd only be doing yourself a disservice by voluntarily removing options with no real reason to do so. Even if you think you're 100% certain you don't want to attend School X, you might receive additional money for them, or you might change your mind. I was close to wanting to withdraw from several schools since I became enamored with one school in particular and couldn't imagine myself anywhere else, and yet a few weeks later I found myself seriously reconsidering schools I once almost completely dismissed.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:52 am

I don't think you have to withdraw, but it's courteous. At the very least, you should do it when schools ask for a reply by the deposit deadline. It makes some poor office worker's life easier because it's easier to mark you off when you apply negatively than to verify that you didn't deposit. Plus, many schools ask for a response (either way) by the deposit deadline.

This reminds me of people who think that RSVP just means say if you're coming. Same principle. :-)

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:01 am

aliarrow wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just wait til the deposit deadline and they'll take you off.

This. I seriously don't get why anyone would withdraw sooner and why everyone here puts so much pressure to do so. You aren't doing anyone any favors since schools don't typically decide to start pulling from the Waitlist until after the deposit deadline. You'd only be doing yourself a disservice by voluntarily removing options with no real reason to do so. Even if you think you're 100% certain you don't want to attend School X, you might receive additional money for them, or you might change your mind. I was close to wanting to withdraw from several schools since I became enamored with one school in particular and couldn't imagine myself anywhere else, and yet a few weeks later I found myself seriously reconsidering schools I once almost completely dismissed.

I was on the verge of withdrawing from a school, when they sent me a full tuition scholarship. Good thing I waited. But I still withdrew 3 weeks later.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:19 am

I said...

Hi!

Please consider my application to your law school withdrawn.

Thanks!
ahduth

I was withdrawing from a wait list. But it still worked incredibly well, beyond my expectations.

edit: Also, go Cubs! :lol:

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:20 am

I just said:

Dear xxxxxxx,

Thank you for the offer of admission to xxxxxxx School of Law. However, I have decided to enroll in xxxxxx School of Law and would therefore like to withdraw my application. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Yankeesfan

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Yeah, as others have said, don't withdraw if there's still money out there, etc...

But if you have decided to enroll elsewhere, it's a courtesy. Get used to doing stuff like this, as it'll help with interviews and your family around Christmastime (I think my mom's still on me for Thank You cards from the 90s).

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:05 am

Withdraw from any schools that you would not go to regardless of any sort of scholarship.

For instance, I withdrew from Indiana and they gave me a full ride. I knew I wasn't going to take it. This is courteous because it gives them more time to reallocate scholarship funds and give them to people who would actually accept them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”