To Defer or not to Defer?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheSteelKid

To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby TheSteelKid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi guys and girls,

So being that the 2011-12 school year is right around the corner, I'm pretty stressed out about my law school decisions! I have a 3.25 and a 170 on the Dec. LSAT. I also have a highly ascending GPA.

I am torn bc I want to start law school this fall, but have only gotten into Wash U (90k), Illinois (90k), and GW (0 money). I've been waitlisted at Vanderbilt, Michigan, Northwestern, Virginia, Fordham, UCLA and BU. Am still waiting on Cornell, Georgetown and USC.

Being that I really want to go to school with better NLJ 250 numbers than WUSTL or Illinois in order to secure better employment, do you think it would be wise to defer? If so should I retake the LSAT in June as well? I'm thinking that if I don't start school this fall I will retake in June, and reapply as early as possible for next admissions cycle. Also if I defer I will aim to teach English overseas for the year. What do you guys think? Will waiting significantly increase my acceptance chances at better schools?

Thanks.

fatduck

Re: To Defer or not to Defer?

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:20 pm

defer

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:24 pm

Not funny fat duck...what do other folks say?

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:45 pm

?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:47 pm

Defer, retake and reapply.

Also why is it that every failure goes to teach english in a foreign country. Why don't you find a real job.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:49 pm

Retake and Reapply. Defer only if you can get a non-binding deferral.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Defer, retake and reapply.

Also why is it that every failure goes to teach english in a foreign country. Why don't you find a real job.

buckilaw wrote:Retake and Reapply. Defer only if you can get a non-binding deferral.

In reference to both of these, I feel that taking some time to go abroad in teach would be extremely rewarding and would increase my attractiveness as a law school applicant.

Also, I've already taken the LSAT 3 times, cancelled, then 165 and 170. I feel comfortable taking it again but just would absolutely NEED to improve my score or it could hurt me right?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:12 pm

TheSteelKid wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Defer, retake and reapply.

buckilaw wrote:Retake and Reapply. Defer only if you can get a non-binding deferral.

In reference to both of these, I feel that taking some time to go abroad in teach would be extremely rewarding and would increase my attractiveness as a law school applicant.

Also, I've already taken the LSAT 3 times, cancelled, then 165 and 170. I feel comfortable taking it again but just would absolutely NEED to improve my score or it could hurt me right?

Teaching english in some fishing community in Korea isn't prestigious. It's what people do to escape their student loan debt.

Why haven't you done better than 170 on your three tries?

You might be better off just applying early decision to UVA, NU, or Michigan. With a 3.25 you are never going to get a scholarship at the top 18 or so schools. And you've already maxed out your scholarships at WUSTL and Illinois.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Probably this. However, I don't think that you can defer scholarships so you should keep that in mind when making your decision as well.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:40 pm

Last edited by descartesb4thehorse on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:03 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
TheSteelKid wrote:In reference to both of these, I feel that taking some time to go abroad in teach would be extremely rewarding and would increase my attractiveness as a law school applicant.

Yes.

When did you apply to these places? I got WLs at a lot of them and plan on redoing my cycle to get my apps in 4 months earlier (yes, I thought splitter numbers would get me into a T14 with January apps... oh, life before TLS).

It's obviously impossible to tell with the LSAT, but you should probably be comfortably testing 173+ before retaking. Your 4th LSAT and 3rd score better be showing an improvement.

I vote defer, but not necessarily retake. A year abroad could be interesting for you and help you get your stuff together. If you're dead set on the T14, it looks like an ED may be necessary for you. Choose wisely. I'd vote Michigan since they still offer some money to ED applicants. Good luck!

(Edited like 5 times because I suck at HTML.)

I completed my applications in November and December but all of my information wasn't in until January 6th when my December LSAT score came in...at that point I received some confirmations immediately that my applications were complete, but some took much longer. I think that theres very little question that applying earlier would help me with atleast SOME of the schools in the T18 and Fordham, BC/BU.

The other issue is that I have taken every released LSAT already so there is a lot of repetition involved and my scores will be inflated! GRRRR.....

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Last edited by descartesb4thehorse on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:00 pm

This wouldn't be deferring. This would be withdrawing and reapplying...

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Yes. It would be a deferral to Wash U and Illinois and a reapply to everywhere else

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”