UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nodummy
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:20 pm

UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby nodummy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm

I have connections to South Florida and wouldn't mind staying if those were the best job opps. I'm just worried about paying sticker. That said, wouldn't it be worth it in the long run if I stayed in South Florida? (And please don't remind me that UF and FSU are in the top-50...I know.)

DC is where I am now and would prefer staying here if possible. So far I'm waitlisted at Mason, Catholic, American, and Maryland. UDC is giving me most of the tuition for at least the first year. The downside: prob the worst law school reputation in the area, if not the country. But I enjoyed the class I visited...no pretentious people.

Chicago is a long shot because I really have no interest in living there outside of law school. If I knew more about it though that could change.

Any thoughts (OTHER THAN RETAKE OR ANTI-MIAMI TROLLING) would be appreciated.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:49 pm

If you haven't maxed out your LSAT you should retake/reapply.

DePaul should be automatically out.

What is the CoA for UDC and what stipulations are on the scholly?

nodummy
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby nodummy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:53 pm

bk1 wrote:If you haven't maxed out your LSAT you should retake/reapply.

DePaul should be automatically out.

What is the CoA for UDC and what stipulations are on the scholly?


See ALL CAPS in the last line of OP...

Why, according to you, is DePaul an auto-dismiss?

No stips for UDC

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:55 pm

Just because you wrote it in all caps, I'll do the same... DO YOU HAVE A VALID REASON FOR NOT RETAKING/REAPPLYING?

You want DC or Florida, it's pretty clear that a regional school in Chicago shouldn't be up for consideration.

nodummy
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby nodummy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:56 pm

bk1 wrote:Just because you wrote it in all caps, I'll do the same... DO YOU HAVE A VALID REASON FOR NOT RETAKING/REAPPLYING?

You want DC or Florida, it's pretty clear that a regional school in Chicago shouldn't be up for consideration.


You're a moron...your opinion is officially discounted in this thread.

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby Nulli Secundus » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:26 pm

nodummy wrote:
bk1 wrote:Just because you wrote it in all caps, I'll do the same... DO YOU HAVE A VALID REASON FOR NOT RETAKING/REAPPLYING?

You want DC or Florida, it's pretty clear that a regional school in Chicago shouldn't be up for consideration.


You're a moron...your opinion is officially discounted in this thread.


Your name is misleading.

EDIT: As for your question, ITE, none of those choices are TCR. The choices available to you reaffirms my initial evaluation regarding your name. It is indeed misleading.

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby mpj_3050 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Do you have a way to cut down on living expenses at Miami? By connections do you mean family you could live with?

nodummy
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby nodummy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:43 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
nodummy wrote:
bk1 wrote:Just because you wrote it in all caps, I'll do the same... DO YOU HAVE A VALID REASON FOR NOT RETAKING/REAPPLYING?

You want DC or Florida, it's pretty clear that a regional school in Chicago shouldn't be up for consideration.


You're a moron...your opinion is officially discounted in this thread.


Your name is misleading.

EDIT: As for your question, ITE, none of those choices are TCR. The choices available to you reaffirms my initial evaluation regarding your name. It is indeed misleading.


your "initial evaluation?" does that mean reading it? folks, yet another jackass on TLS. alert the media.

nodummy
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby nodummy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:44 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:Do you have a way to cut down on living expenses at Miami? By connections do you mean family you could live with?


Yes, living expenses would be low to nil.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:46 pm

if you want to go to dc or south florida- going to depaul in chicago is a horrible idea. That degree will keep you in chicago, and the surrounding area. UDC as you stated has a horrible reputation- and im sure the stipulations on your scholly are difficult. The only choice you have left of schools to consider is Miami. However, as you know miami is super expensive, and the area is very costly as well. If you really want University of Miami- it would be in your best interests financially to retake and try again next cycle. You can also with a better score have a good shot at other DC schools. However, you dont want to hear this, so I would say your only option is Miami


Edit: just saw your post about no living expenses. Off to miami for your.

nodummy
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby nodummy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:59 pm

northwood wrote:if you want to go to dc or south florida- going to depaul in chicago is a horrible idea. That degree will keep you in chicago, and the surrounding area. UDC as you stated has a horrible reputation- and im sure the stipulations on your scholly are difficult. The only choice you have left of schools to consider is Miami. However, as you know miami is super expensive, and the area is very costly as well. If you really want University of Miami- it would be in your best interests financially to retake and try again next cycle. You can also with a better score have a good shot at other DC schools. However, you dont want to hear this, so I would say your only option is Miami


Edit: just saw your post about no living expenses. Off to miami for your.


Thanks for your opinion. While "retake" is by far the most popular suggestion it's not an option nor at the heart of what I'm asking...that said, I do appreciate the rest of your comments.

What would you say to Mason or American or even Catholic at sticker compared to Miami at sticker? As stated, I'm waitlisted at those. And I'm not against the idea of living in Chicago...just no connections so I would be paying living expenses.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Id say how bad do you want DC? IF you want DC so bad, you are willing to pay for your living expenses- then i guess it would be fine. IF not, or you think you want south florida more so- then stay at miami.

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby mpj_3050 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:16 pm

I think Miami is really the only viable option b/c saving on living expenses is huge for your school list.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:37 pm

If somebody asked whether they should overdose on ecstasy or crystal meth I would tell them neither. Sometimes the answer to the question is irrelevant because the question being asked is the wrong one.

I get that you don't want to retake, but unless you have some legitimate reason why you can't then the options you have for what you want to do pale in comparison to what retake/reapply affords you.

That being said, if you are going to make the bullheaded move of not retaking/reapplying or in fact actually have a legitimate reason why that is not possible then Miami with free CoL is obviously your best bet.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:39 pm

bk1 wrote:If somebody asked whether they should overdose on ecstasy or crystal meth I would tell them neither. Sometimes the answer to the question is irrelevant because the question being asked is the wrong one.

I get that you don't want to retake, but unless you have some legitimate reason why you can't then the options you have for what you want to do pale in comparison to what retake/reapply affords you.

That being said, if you are going to make the bullheaded move of not retaking/reapplying or in fact actually have a legitimate reason why that is not possible then Miami with free CoL is obviously your best bet.



sometimes people just want to know which school they are thinking would be the better choice. Not the best choice ( which I agree would be to sit and re take, re apply, and re assess/ evaluate).

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:40 pm

northwood wrote:sometimes people just want to know which school they are thinking would be the better choice. Not the best choice ( which I agree would be to sit and re take, re apply, and re assess/ evaluate).


As I said, sometimes people are asking the wrong question.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:42 pm

to answer your first question- i would choose xtc.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby Danteshek » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:49 pm

None of the above. If you can get into Miami, you can get into Catholic. You may have to sit out a cycle and reapply.

nodummy
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby nodummy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:07 pm

bk1 wrote:If somebody asked whether they should overdose on ecstasy or crystal meth I would tell them neither. Sometimes the answer to the question is irrelevant because the question being asked is the wrong one.

I get that you don't want to retake, but unless you have some legitimate reason why you can't then the options you have for what you want to do pale in comparison to what retake/reapply affords you.

That being said, if you are going to make the bullheaded move of not retaking/reapplying or in fact actually have a legitimate reason why that is not possible then Miami with free CoL is obviously your best bet.


Overdosing produces results far different from going to a top-100 law school. If you think going to a school outside the top14, top20, top 50, or even the top 190 is death then you're the reason lawyers have such a bad name in society. You're a pompous fool, based solely on your comments here, of course. Do yourself a favor, stop alleviating the fear of falling behind your peers by posting dipshit comments on TLS...just spend more time looking for work and/or improving your grades.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby dpk711 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:11 pm

bk1 wrote:Just because you wrote it in all caps, I'll do the same... DO YOU HAVE A VALID REASON FOR NOT RETAKING/REAPPLYING?

You want DC or Florida, it's pretty clear that a regional school in Chicago shouldn't be up for consideration.


Trust me OP, TITCR.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:18 pm

nodummy wrote:Overdosing produces results far different from going to a top-100 law school. If you think going to a school outside the top14, top20, top 50, or even the top 190 is death then you're the reason lawyers have such a bad name in society. You're a pompous fool, based solely on your comments here, of course. Do yourself a favor, stop alleviating the fear of falling behind your peers by posting dipshit comments on TLS...just spend more time looking for work and/or improving your grades.


I never said it was death. However there is a serious risk of unemployment/underemployment when one goes to a poor school or takes on a lot of debt.

For example, at 9 months after graduation over 30% of UMiami's class of 2009 was working part time, unemployed, or failed to report employment status (which is pretty safe to assume means unemployed). Paying $120k when there is a 1 in 3 chance that you are unemployed or part time seems like an awful idea.

On the other hand you can take the exceedingly marginal cost of retaking the LSAT, reapply next cycle, and either got to UMiami on a scholarship or go to a school which has much more respectable employment stats. I'm not saying you should retake/reapply because I am a prestige whore, I say it because paying $120k to go to UMiami is a horrible financial decision that has a very high chance of leaving you homeless and unable to service that debt.

nodummy
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby nodummy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:05 am

bk1 wrote:
nodummy wrote:Overdosing produces results far different from going to a top-100 law school. If you think going to a school outside the top14, top20, top 50, or even the top 190 is death then you're the reason lawyers have such a bad name in society. You're a pompous fool, based solely on your comments here, of course. Do yourself a favor, stop alleviating the fear of falling behind your peers by posting dipshit comments on TLS...just spend more time looking for work and/or improving your grades.


I never said it was death. However there is a serious risk of unemployment/underemployment when one goes to a poor school or takes on a lot of debt.

For example, at 9 months after graduation over 30% of UMiami's class of 2009 was working part time, unemployed, or failed to report employment status (which is pretty safe to assume means unemployed). Paying $120k when there is a 1 in 3 chance that you are unemployed or part time seems like an awful idea.

On the other hand you can take the exceedingly marginal cost of retaking the LSAT, reapply next cycle, and either got to UMiami on a scholarship or go to a school which has much more respectable employment stats. I'm not saying you should retake/reapply because I am a prestige whore, I say it because paying $120k to go to UMiami is a horrible financial decision that has a very high chance of leaving you homeless and unable to service that debt.


marginal cost? not that it's an option, but lets examine that for a minute...

you know nothing about my current situation, yet your confidence in the "retake, wait and see" approach is phenomenal...

say, for instance, that im between jobs or just graduating from college and still without employment...sitting out another year would add yet another year of opportunity cost to the entire situation. let alone, the stats on improving your lsat from a 165 to a 170...ridiculous. maybe like 3-7% of lsat takers are capable of this.

that said, a 33.33% shot at unemployment is a lot better then ending up in the exact same situation this time next year...IF i am set on being a lawyer.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:13 am

nodummy wrote:marginal cost? not that it's an option, but lets examine that for a minute...

you know nothing about my current situation, yet your confidence in the "retake, wait and see" approach is phenomenal...

say, for instance, that im between jobs or just graduating from college and still without employment...sitting out another year would add yet another year of opportunity cost to the entire situation. let alone, the stats on improving your lsat from a 165 to a 170...ridiculous. maybe like 3-7% of lsat takers are capable of this.

that said, a 33.33% shot at unemployment is a lot better then ending up in the exact same situation this time next year...IF i am set on being a lawyer.


You can take the LSAT in June and not even have to give up on possibly going to law school this August in the event that you don't improve. Heck you could just start practicing and if you start PT'ing consistently above 170+ you can then decide to retake reapply (plus you have 2 chances to get 170+ between June/Oct/Dec).

Half of all LSAT takers don't even go to school. Half of them get 150's and below. Basing any decision on what happens to a certain section of the LSAT taker pool seems like a bad idea considering how awful that pool is. I'd hazard that the vast majority of them don't study or don't study hard enough. Figure out whether you can improve and if you can't that's fine. However it is stupid not to try.

barry
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby barry » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:15 am

I think it's UM by alot you have connections in MIA and it is the best school and prominent in its market (UDC is not and DePaul has lots of competition).... you won't be able to get to DC but at least you'll have a better shot at getting a job

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: UDC($$) vs. Depaul($) vs. Miami(Sticker)

Postby TheFactor » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:58 am

If you can rationalize paying $120k+ to go to a school where you'll have less than a 10% chance of getting a job that pays that much, then go to Miami.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ConLaw2017, Google [Bot] and 5 guests