Just got second DUI, what to do next?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JustE

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby JustE » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:00 pm

As someone who has been in a similar situation (not two DUIs, but close enough), I think I have some good advice.

1) As others have said, seek help. Don't do it for the law schools, do it because you need it. Damn the technicality. If you weren't close to a .08 and behind the wheel, you probably wouldn't have gotten more than a speeding ticket to start with. You need a class and you might need to change the group of friends you surround yourself with. The way you're currently living your life (unless you're just incredibly unlucky) is not normal and needs an adjustment. Seeking help will teach you that.

2) If you were applying this cycle, take some time to get your life together. You got a slap on the wrist the first time (like me) and that is probably why you didn't take it so seriously. You will spend lots of money this time ($2-$3K) for a defense that will probably land you with a large fine, jail time, and if you're lucky, probation. You should spend a year or two focusing on yourself before you head into a career that leads to a high likelihood of alcoholism.

3) Take the time to make the most of this learning experience. No matter how stressed you are or how much life sucks, it's not worth putting another life at risk. As obvious as this sounds, it's going to take time to develop the responsible habits that will keep you out of these situations. You're not going to have that time in law school where you'll either be busting your ass in a library or out for drinks with classmates.

4) If you really want to apply to law school now and don't care where you end up, apply to law school. Update every school with your pending charge and do everything by the book. Some will have a tough time letting you in, but if you are above the 75th percentile, some of them honestly won't care. It's a sad reality, but if your numbers are high enough, there are some great schools who will not give a shit. I can think of a certain President and Vice President with three or four DUI's between the two of them. If you want it, go for it.

What you should be focusing on is your health and safety. This was not a fluke. You did not get singled out. You obviously have a problem and need to spend significant time fixing it. Be thankful this DUI kept you from crashing into a tree or ending a life. You probably are not an alcoholic, but if you continue on this path, chances are you'll become one. You should not be focusing on law school. Your focus should be on your habits. Get help, fix them, and you still have a shot at an amazing legal career.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:16 pm

While drinking and driving is a very serious thing and I implore you not to do it ever again, there are people who successfully go on to law school after a DWI. Do rehab and put some time between yourself and the incident, STAY OUT OF TROUBLE, and reapply in a couple years.

FAR262

Postby FAR262 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:23 pm

northwood wrote:I take it you allready have an attorney. if not- get one asap. I would put off applying to law school until this is behind you. YOu are establishing a negative behavior pattern, and it may be in your best interests to go to counseling, even if you dont agree with it. YOu need to put some behind this incident and law school. Contact the bar in the state where you want to practice, and see how this would affect that. Depending on where you live, this could be a serious incident ( states are cracking down on dwis). Start getting another job to offset the legal fees and costs of this. You should strongly consider working for a few more years, and working on all aspects of your application to stregnthen it. best of luck.

Better yet, represent yourself in court. It'll save you a lot of money and if you manage to win, law schools might be so impressed that they're willing to overlook your indiscretions and let you in anyway.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:26 pm

FAR262 wrote:
northwood wrote:I take it you allready have an attorney. if not- get one asap. I would put off applying to law school until this is behind you. YOu are establishing a negative behavior pattern, and it may be in your best interests to go to counseling, even if you dont agree with it. YOu need to put some behind this incident and law school. Contact the bar in the state where you want to practice, and see how this would affect that. Depending on where you live, this could be a serious incident ( states are cracking down on dwis). Start getting another job to offset the legal fees and costs of this. You should strongly consider working for a few more years, and working on all aspects of your application to stregnthen it. best of luck.

Better yet, represent yourself in court. It'll save you a lot of money and if you manage to win, law schools might be so impressed that they're willing to overlook your indiscretions and let you in anyway.

I thought about doing this with an absurd street racing ticket I got a while back. I know a guy whose cousin's friend got into Georgetown that way.

tyro

Postby tyro » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:50 pm

I have a little sympathy without hearing the details. Personally I don't think this should completely ruin you in terms of admission but I'm not an adcom. This is certainly serious though. From a general perspective I feel that taking some time off would help. You need to, not necessarily weep and think endlessly about your wrongdoings, but consider a change of lifestyle. Put a year or two in between this incident and do something worthwhile with your time. Write an essay about it. Maybe you won't use it, who cares. Just writing about it and thinking about how it has affected your life might help you realize that it's not worth the risk to drink and drive. Maybe you won't learn something, but hopefully you will. Essentially, do what you can to at least make it seem like you have grown, and try to recognize that this kind of dangerous, wreckless behavior is just immature. I mean if you had 5 beers and got picked up that's one thing, but I guess we don't really know how bad it was. Really though, write about it and do some thinking by yourself. One of the biggest things I've learned from about the time I turned 20 is that going out and getting wasted is kind of pointless.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:55 pm

tyro wrote:I have a little sympathy without hearing the details. Personally I don't think this should completely ruin you in terms of admission but I'm not an adcom. This is certainly serious though. From a general perspective I feel that taking some time off would help. You need to, not necessarily weep and think endlessly about your wrongdoings, but consider a change of lifestyle. Put a year or two in between this incident and do something worthwhile with your time. Write an essay about it. Maybe you won't use it, who cares. Just writing about it and thinking about how it has affected your life might help you realize that it's not worth the risk to drink and drive. Maybe you won't learn something, but hopefully you will. Essentially, do what you can to at least make it seem like you have grown, and try to recognize that this kind of dangerous, wreckless behavior is just immature. I mean if you had 5 beers and got picked up that's one thing, but I guess we don't really know how bad it was. Really though, write about it and do some thinking by yourself. One of the biggest things I've learned from about the time I turned 20 is that going out and getting wasted is kind of pointless.

This is great if you imagine Charlie Sheen saying it

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:57 pm

tyro wrote:I have a little sympathy without hearing the details. Personally I don't think this should completely ruin you in terms of admission but I'm not an adcom. This is certainly serious though. From a general perspective I feel that taking some time off would help. You need to, not necessarily weep and think endlessly about your wrongdoings, but consider a change of lifestyle. Put a year or two in between this incident and do something worthwhile with your time. Write an essay about it. Maybe you won't use it, who cares. Just writing about it and thinking about how it has affected your life might help you realize that it's not worth the risk to drink and drive. Maybe you won't learn something, but hopefully you will. Essentially, do what you can to at least make it seem like you have grown, and try to recognize that this kind of dangerous, wreckless behavior is just immature. I mean if you had 5 beers and got picked up that's one thing, but I guess we don't really know how bad it was. Really though, write about it and do some thinking by yourself. One of the biggest things I've learned from about the time I turned 20 is that going out and getting wasted is kind of pointless.

I don't approve of drinking and driving, I have done it myself (not proud of it), but when you get caught doing something illegal, moreover that you chose to do KNOWING it is illegal, I believe you need to take your lumps and move on. Indeed, this could be what turns OP's life around, and that could be something to work to his advantage if he reapplies. Adcomms are like girls at the bar, they love a bad boy who turned his life around.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:05 am

Yea reapply after couseling. Then either drink or drive it's not a difficult concept

tyro

Postby tyro » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:19 am

kwais wrote:

Warlocks don't mess with alcohol. I bang 7.5 gram rocks and drive--read the rules on the drug label, I harness absolute focus. I'm E.T. not the song, I have lionblood, no--no I have panther mixed with lion blood. It was radical. Did I mention warlock? My ANGER?? Passion, my brain, it's--it's not from here, ok? There's nothing wrong with me, I'm a winner--stupid--epic party. droopy children?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 am

One DUI? Probably a smudge on the record, but it isn't going to ruin your LS chances.

Two DUIs? I think most adcomms will say, "What the hell is wrong with this guy? We'll pass." Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be shocked if this wasn't a huge obstacle to getting into a decent school.

Seriously, get your life in order and reapply in a few years. And stop driving drunk.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:26 am

tyro wrote:
kwais wrote:

Warlocks don't mess with alcohol. I bang 7.5 gram rocks and drive--read the rules on the drug label, I harness absolute focus. I'm E.T. not the song, I have lionblood, no--no I have panther mixed with lion blood. It was radical. Did I mention warlock? My ANGER?? Passion, my brain, it's--it's not from here, ok? There's nothing wrong with me, I'm a winner--stupid--epic party. droopy children?

I applaud your effort

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:26 am

I have a few words of advice since this is your second time. First don't drop the soap in the pen, just don't and if you do let it go. Second don't let someone take your fruit cup because if you do your gonna be someones gf.

In all seriousness look for some help and try to put your best foot forward and put this behind you and most importantly don't drink and drive anymore.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:28 am

tooswolle wrote:I have a few words of advice since this is your second time. First don't drop the soap in the pen, just don't and if you do let it go. Second don't let someone take your fruit cup because if you do your gonna be someones gf.

In all seriousness look for some help and try to put your best foot forward and put this behind you and most importantly don't drink and drive anymore.

squirlmaster? Is that you?

tyro

Postby tyro » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:44 am

alexonfyre wrote:

I don't approve of drinking and driving, I have done it myself (not proud of it), but when you get caught doing something illegal, moreover that you chose to do KNOWING it is illegal, I believe you need to take your lumps and move on. Indeed, this could be what turns OP's life around, and that could be something to work to his advantage if he reapplies. Adcomms are like girls at the bar, they love a bad boy who turned his life around.

This is a little bit troubling, but true from what I've heard. Adcomms get bored after reading a dozen essays from mature smart people. If the OP puts in some effort and ditches his braindead friends who he probably met at a party or at a bar, practices some kind of introspection, and somehow can resist his irrepressible craving to pretend he's in Need for Speed, I think he could put together a pretty touching story.

Also thank you for appreciating my efforts my fish friend.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 am

Stonewall wrote:
tooswolle wrote:I have a few words of advice since this is your second time. First don't drop the soap in the pen, just don't and if you do let it go. Second don't let someone take your fruit cup because if you do your gonna be someones gf.

squirlmaster? Is that you?

Nah dude it's Nasty Nate lol glad you got my joke. Still to the op my advice is solid if he goes to the pen and wants to come back the same......because male rape isn't a joke in the pen lol.

zonto

Postby zonto » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:21 am

Drake014 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Seriously, you don't belong in law school. You seem like a rich kid who got bailed out once for drinking and driving and you are that asshole who didn't learn from it and did it again.

If he is a rich kid, then yeah. If he's someone whose had a really shitty life then he has my sympathy and I strongly encourage he seek help.

I had a tough upbringing too. I don't do stupid shit. No sympathy from me.

What if he was a survivor of an African genocide and he needed alcohol just to block out the horrors of watching his entire village massacred?

Then he should write a successful book like so many others that went through the same scenario did. Again, something productive instead of wasting their life away with alcohol.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:28 am

Here's a thought. Even if you get into LS, you still have to pass the bar in 3 years.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:42 am

FAR262 wrote:Better yet, represent yourself in court. It'll save you a lot of money and if you manage to win, law schools might be so impressed that they're willing to overlook your indiscretions and let you in anyway.

This is horrible advice. Just because you're applying to LS doesn't mean you have the capacity to represent yourself. Especially for a DUI....I hope this is a joke.

Also, a DUI is a serious offense that many people do not take lightly. Most likely adcomms will not take it lightly, so you should do everything possible to prove you are working on this situation. Please get help. Also, public transportation is a great idea, and will allow you to stay out of trouble.

tyro

Postby tyro » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:51 am

DeeCee wrote:
FAR262 wrote:Better yet, represent yourself in court. It'll save you a lot of money and if you manage to win, law schools might be so impressed that they're willing to overlook your indiscretions and let you in anyway.

This is horrible advice. Just because you're applying to LS doesn't mean you have the capacity to represent yourself. Especially for a DUI....I hope this is a joke.

Also, a DUI is a serious offense that many people do not take lightly. Most likely adcomms will not take it lightly, so you should do everything possible to prove you are working on this situation. Please get help. Also, public transportation is a great idea, and will allow you to stay out of trouble.

I'm hoping it was a joke but I don't think it was. +1 DeeCee.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:52 am

Learn to use cruise control.

...or self-control.

Whichever.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:58 am

In all seriousness, and without any judgment: get your life in order.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:02 am

tyro wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

I'm hoping it was a joke but I don't think it was. +1 DeeCee.

On TLS, if you think it is a troll, then it is a troll. And if it wasn't a troll, OP will insist it was a troll all along anyway.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:47 am

Sell your car and take public transit. That's what I did, and I live in Los Angeles.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:37 am

Multiple DUI offender? This could bite you in the ass.

First thing to do is stop drinking and driving.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:38 am

get drunk and celebrate?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”