Just got second DUI, what to do next?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dug

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby Dug » Fri May 06, 2011 9:48 pm

There is a lot of hypocrasy in our society wth regard to duis - there is also a stigma. most people drink and drive - some to excess and others responsibility. now, the problem is that alcohol changes brain chemistry and so you may find yourself doing something risky like driving drunk. you may also have a problem whether it be learned or inherant. anyhow, this is a society where autos are a very important part of our culture AND almost imperative to ones livelihood (from a driving and reputation standpoint - a dui on a background check can be damning). people tend to blame the user and not the dealer, unlike in all other circumstances involving controlled substances, where the penalties for dealing are much greater than what the user may see. why? bc its legal of course. bars, taverns, clubs are everywhere and yet they are rarely held accountable. they know people are driving drunk and yet, rarely are they taken to task (only when someone gets seriously injured is a dram shop action presented and usually the bar has a solid arguments that it wasnt they who served the drunkard). anyway, the taproom is the greatest culprit and yet they get a pass. they make the money and the adict takes the fall. this is hypocrasy. there should be a drunk taxi funded by bars in a given area, problem solved.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 9:49 pm

Dug wrote:There is a lot of hypocrasy in our society wth regard to duis - there is also a stigma. most people drink and drive - some to excess and others responsibility. now, the problem is that alcohol changes brain chemistry and so you may find yourself doing something risky like driving drunk. you may also have a problem whether it be learned or inherant. anyhow, this is a society where autos are a very important part of our culture AND almost imperative to ones livelihood (from a driving and reputation standpoint - a dui on a background check can be damning). people tend to blame the user and not the dealer, unlike in all other circumstances involving controlled substances, where the penalties for dealing are much greater than what the user may see. why? bc its legal of course. bars, taverns, clubs are everywhere and yet they are rarely held accountable. they know people are driving drunk and yet, rarely are they taken to task (only when someone gets seriously injured is a dram shop action presented and usually the bar has a solid arguments that it wasnt they who served the drunkard). anyway, the taproom is the greatest culprit and yet they get a pass. they make the money and the adict takes the fall. this is hypocrasy. there should be a drunk taxi funded by bars in a given area, problem solved.

no

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri May 06, 2011 9:57 pm

Dug wrote:There is a lot of hypocrasy in our society wth regard to duis - there is also a stigma. most people drink and drive - some to excess and others responsibility. now, the problem is that alcohol changes brain chemistry and so you may find yourself doing something risky like driving drunk. you may also have a problem whether it be learned or inherant. anyhow, this is a society where autos are a very important part of our culture AND almost imperative to ones livelihood (from a driving and reputation standpoint - a dui on a background check can be damning). people tend to blame the user and not the dealer, unlike in all other circumstances involving controlled substances, where the penalties for dealing are much greater than what the user may see. why? bc its legal of course. bars, taverns, clubs are everywhere and yet they are rarely held accountable. they know people are driving drunk and yet, rarely are they taken to task (only when someone gets seriously injured is a dram shop action presented and usually the bar has a solid arguments that it wasnt they who served the drunkard). anyway, the taproom is the greatest culprit and yet they get a pass. they make the money and the adict takes the fall. this is hypocrasy. there should be a drunk taxi funded by bars in a given area, problem solved.

Bars do have taxis phone numbers- and if you ask them to call one for you- they will.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri May 06, 2011 10:01 pm

way to create an alt to try to justify a blanket statement that may not even be true. people i know (myself included), and i mean this in a broad sense (not just my close knit group of friends) do not drink and drive.

btw, wtf do you mean by responsible drinking and driving? if you mean under the legal limit, that's a diff story. if you mean over legal limit but the "drinker/driver" doesnt feel sloshed....no.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Sat May 07, 2011 10:18 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
btw, wtf do you mean by responsible drinking and driving? if you mean under the legal limit, that's a diff story. if you mean over legal limit but the "drinker/driver" doesnt feel sloshed....no.

There's a very fine line between being under the legal limit and getting a DUI. Unless you're one of the few people with a breathalizer, you should probably avoid drinking at all costs if your intent is to drive. Obviously that's probably not going to happen; I'm just pointing out that the "drinker/driver doesn't feel sloshed" argument works on the same premise of "knowing" that you're under the legal limit.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat May 07, 2011 11:09 am

spacepenguin wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

There's a very fine line between being under the legal limit and getting a DUI. Unless you're one of the few people with a breathalizer, you should probably avoid drinking at all costs if your intent is to drive. Obviously that's probably not going to happen; I'm just pointing out that the "drinker/driver doesn't feel sloshed" argument works on the same premise of "knowing" that you're under the legal limit.

true, i just meant in whatever hypothetical situation Dug meant by "most people drink and drive"

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat May 07, 2011 11:37 am

ysustu wrote:I've applied to various law schools in Ohio as well as a few in Chicago and Pittsburgh.

The problem is I was charged with a DUI about three years ago and it was dropped to Physical Control. I was recently charged with a second DUI, technically a first offense being that the previous charge was reduced. I am in the process of sending the notifications to the schools to which I applied and am aware that this will have an effect on my admission. My question is how much of an effect will this have on my potential admission to law school and future admission to the bar.

Also, I plan on have an evaluation done at a drug and alcohol treatment center and am wondering if there is anything further I should be doing, and would it be at all helpful to mention that I will be undergoing the evaluation when updating the schools to which I applied about the incident?

Schools in Ohio...?

Shin Soo Choo? Is that you? Don't quit and go to law school!

masochist

Postby masochist » Sat May 07, 2011 12:15 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
flcath wrote:mental illnesses, obviously...

I mean, to be fair, it sort of is the responsibility of State Bars to vet prospective lawyers, and ability to adequately serve one's clients should take into account severity of mental illness and how well one copes with it.

This is also a persistent myth on TLS and among lawyers. You will not run into C and F issues for any mental health treatment any of you are likely to receive. State bar examiners cannot get your records, and they won’t ask for them anyway. If they were to get your records (because your psychololgist/psychiatrist made a mistake and you somehow angered a bar examiner), they wouldn’t learn anything that would help. I am a psychologist, I have worked in both inpatient and outpatient settings with dozens of lawyers/law students, and none of my clients have called me about a follow-up question to C and F mental health disclosures.

I would guess that the only time mental health is used to disqualify someone on the basis of C and F would be if there were dementia or a persistent psychotic disorder. I say “guess” because none of the psychologists or psychiatrists I’ve worked with can ever remember a single case in which anyone ran into bar issues because of any mental health problem. In both of the above categories of disorders, disbarment would be a moot point since the severity of the illness would preclude functioning as a lawyer in even the most basic sense.

I am making the point (at the risk of derailing the thread) because concern over C and F could lead a law student to refuse to access needed care. Untreated depression, anxiety, bipolar disorders, and PTSD pose a far greater risk to your success than a history of therapy.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat May 07, 2011 12:17 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

no

+100000.

Drunk taxis are a great thing though, and numerous bars where I'm from work cooperatively to provide one.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:03 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

true, i just meant in whatever hypothetical situation Dug meant by "most people drink and drive"

I drink and drive regularly. At my body wieght I can have 4 drinks and pass a breathalyzer so I drink 3. Either way, unless I drink them all at once I'll be even more fine. It gets tricky trying to account for time and unknown alcohol contents of drinks but really, even above the legal limit most people that drive at a safe speed and at full attention are less of a menace that speed demons and distracted drivers.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat May 07, 2011 1:12 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

I drink and drive regularly. At my body wieght I can have 4 drinks and pass a breathalyzer so I drink 3. Either way, unless I drink them all at once I'll be even more fine. It gets tricky trying to account for time and unknown alcohol contents of drinks but really, even above the legal limit most people that drive at a safe speed and at full attention are less of a menace that speed demons and distracted drivers.

lol thats nice -- not sure why you're quoting me though. i dont think i spoke on the unbolded; the bolded, however, i may have to disagree with. not saying you're necessarily or always wrong, just that that is a really subjective and arbitrary standard.

bmore

Postby bmore » Sat May 07, 2011 1:21 pm

Before worrying about law school, worry about your fellow man and STOP DRINKING! If you have been caught twice, you likely have been drunk driving many more times. Each time you do, you are a deadly weapon. The fact that you continue to do it shows that you don't care about anyone else, you have a serious problem or both. Please get help so you don't continue to put innocent peoples' lives at risk. While some of us maybe have driven when we shouldn't have, you have proof that you have done it. Stop doing it!!! Get help.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:26 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:

lol thats nice -- not sure why you're quoting me though. i dont think i spoke on the unbolded; the bolded, however, i may have to disagree with. not saying you're necessarily or always wrong, just that that is a really subjective and arbitrary standard.

Idk why either, this thread has been dead for sometime.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”