Just got second DUI, what to do next?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
boozehound
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby boozehound » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Boggs wrote:
boozehound wrote:Just to point out....the OP only has one post. Likely a flame regular poster who wanted to distance themselves from the question.


Fixed

My advice echos what's already been said... knock it off.

Ahh...Good point.
In that case: Dear OP, You're fucked. You can't stop drinkin' even if you wanted to. You're a boozehound just like me. Better get your ass to AA and beg for help.

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby alexonfyre » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:30 pm

This thread is insanity. Lock down is imminent.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby Renzo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:47 pm

alexonfyre wrote:This thread is insanity. Lock down is imminent.

You must be new here. This is as civil as a thread can possibly be expected to be once it hits 4 pages.

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby Total Litigator » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:59 pm

The obvious answer here, on a personal, logical, and career minded perspective is to take the year off, distance yourself from this double header, and for God's sake don't make it a hat trick. Without getting to metaphysical: Take a year to examine and get a hold of your life; e.g. AA, hiking in the Hymalayas, or embracing your alcoholism and becoming the next Bukowski/Hemingway.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby geoduck » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Total Litigator wrote:The obvious answer here, on a personal, logical, and career minded perspective is to take the year off, distance yourself from this double header, and for God's sake don't make it a hat trick. Without getting to metaphysical: Take a year to examine and get a hold of your life; e.g. AA, hiking in the Hymalayas, or embracing your alcoholism and becoming the next Bukowski/Hemingway.


TITCR

When in doubt, Bukowski.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby flcath » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:57 pm

lisjjen wrote:
flcath wrote:What is surprising is how intransigent they can be with the "F" portion of C&F: perfectly innocent people with legitimate illnesses (granted, serious illnesses) are refused bar admission fairly regularly.


If this is a dumb question, flame away. Does obesity count as an illness, or otherwise a lack of fitness?

Well think about it: how many 400+ pound lawyers have you seen?

Not many, right? It's b/c they all got C&F pwned.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:47 pm

flcath wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
flcath wrote:What is surprising is how intransigent they can be with the "F" portion of C&F: perfectly innocent people with legitimate illnesses (granted, serious illnesses) are refused bar admission fairly regularly.


If this is a dumb question, flame away. Does obesity count as an illness, or otherwise a lack of fitness?

Well think about it: how many 400+ pound lawyers have you seen?

Not many, right? It's b/c they all got C&F pwned.


You don't have to be 400+ pounds to be considered obese.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby flcath » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:00 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
flcath wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
flcath wrote:What is surprising is how intransigent they can be with the "F" portion of C&F: perfectly innocent people with legitimate illnesses (granted, serious illnesses) are refused bar admission fairly regularly.


If this is a dumb question, flame away. Does obesity count as an illness, or otherwise a lack of fitness?

Well think about it: how many 400+ pound lawyers have you seen?

Not many, right? It's b/c they all got C&F pwned.


You don't have to be 400+ pounds to be considered obese.

???

It was a non-serious reply to what I hope was a non-serious question. The type of "serious illnesses" that get you C&F pwned are mental illnesses, obviously...

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby gothamm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:16 pm

Renzo wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:This thread is insanity. Lock down is imminent.

You must be new here. This is as civil as a thread can possibly be expected to be once it hits 4 pages.


win

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby alexonfyre » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:51 pm

gothamm wrote:
Renzo wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:This thread is insanity. Lock down is imminent.

You must be new here. This is as civil as a thread can possibly be expected to be once it hits 4 pages.


win


Fair, I usually stop reading threads past page 3.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby ahduth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:02 pm

flcath wrote:It was a non-serious reply to what I hope was a non-serious question. The type of "serious illnesses" that get you C&F pwned are mental illnesses, obviously...


Why are you saying I'm crazy? I'm not crazy.

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby Stonewall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:08 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
gothamm wrote:
Renzo wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:This thread is insanity. Lock down is imminent.

You must be new here. This is as civil as a thread can possibly be expected to be once it hits 4 pages.


win


Fair, I usually stop reading threads past page 3.


the first three pages are just the warmup... Once they are hijacked or seriously off on a tangent is when they peak

User avatar
ArthurDigbySellers
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:15 pm

flcath wrote:mental illnesses, obviously...


I mean, to be fair, it sort of is the responsibility of State Bars to vet prospective lawyers, and ability to adequately serve one's clients should take into account severity of mental illness and how well one copes with it.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby ahduth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:26 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
flcath wrote:mental illnesses, obviously...


I mean, to be fair, it sort of is the responsibility of State Bars to vet prospective lawyers, and ability to adequately serve one's clients should take into account severity of mental illness and how well one copes with it.


What's your point.

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby alexonfyre » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:02 am

At this point, people are just kind of arguing without having any idea what they are arguing about. And then get upset when someone...disagrees...with their...non-argument?
This is fun. Carry on.
*popcorn*

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby flcath » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:22 am

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
flcath wrote:mental illnesses, obviously...


I mean, to be fair, it sort of is the responsibility of State Bars to vet prospective lawyers, and ability to adequately serve one's clients should take into account severity of mental illness and how well one copes with it.

I'm fine with that. They should pay their LS loans back for them, and apologize for not instituting a proper screening mechanism upstream (i.e., at the LS admissions stage) to prevent them from wasting 3 years of their lives.

User avatar
Warren Harding
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby Warren Harding » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:36 pm

what sort of mental illness would be severe enough?

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:37 pm

Warren Harding wrote:what sort of mental illness would be severe enough?


ADHD

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby ahduth » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:59 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
Warren Harding wrote:what sort of mental illness would be severe enough?


ADHD


What?

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:18 am

flcath wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
flcath wrote:mental illnesses, obviously...


I mean, to be fair, it sort of is the responsibility of State Bars to vet prospective lawyers, and ability to adequately serve one's clients should take into account severity of mental illness and how well one copes with it.

I'm fine with that. They should pay their LS loans back for them, and apologize for not instituting a proper screening mechanism upstream (i.e., at the LS admissions stage) to prevent them from wasting 3 years of their lives.


Every state has their own bar. To make any school screen students vs 50 state bars + various federal and special court bars is ridiculous.

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:45 am

ahduth wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:
Warren Harding wrote:what sort of mental illness would be severe enough?


ADHD


What?


More likely Schizophrenia, Paranoia, or Bipolar, but what I was getting at was that the C&F board can find you unfit for just about any reason they want.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:50 am

alexonfyre wrote:
ahduth wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:
Warren Harding wrote:what sort of mental illness would be severe enough?


ADHD


What?


More likely Schizophrenia, Paranoia, or Bipolar, but what I was getting at was that the C&F board can find you unfit for just about any reason they want.


This is my answer to them:
Image

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:54 pm

boozehound wrote:
Boggs wrote:
boozehound wrote:Just to point out....the OP only has one post. Likely a flame regular poster who wanted to distance themselves from the question.


Fixed

My advice echos what's already been said... knock it off.

Ahh...Good point.
In that case: Dear OP, You're fucked. You can't stop drinkin' even if you wanted to. You're a boozehound just like me. Better get your ass to AA and beg for help.


Or you can get some tiger blood.

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby CMDantes » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:45 pm

zonto wrote:Stop drinking and driving.


/thread

too old for this sh*
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Postby too old for this sh* » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:57 am

ahduth wrote:
RCRARollin wrote:To answer your question, this should not affect your chances of being admitted to law school to any large extent. What I would worry about would be gaining admission to your state bar after you graduate. Many are very stern with substance abuse and honesty. Thus, you definitely should let the schools you are applying to know about the DUIs (so it will be in your file that the bar looks at to see you didnt lie). Secondly, contact your state bar and ask them if this will be an issue.

Many of these posters are over-dramatising the situation in regards to your future as an attorney. Get your drinking sorted out and good luck pursuing your legal career.


lulz. You're saying adcomm is going to look at this guy and say, "well, he wasn't able to figure out that committing a felony is a TERRIBLE idea the first time - maybe this second time will have learned him real good." Never mind the fact that he's either completely immature or completely callous for doing this kind of stuff in the first place. Why would they take him over hundreds of other qualified candidates? As an adcomm I'd send him to Ave Maria. Maybe he can find Jesus there, and Jesus can help him sort out his life.


Not that it excuses the conduct, but garden-variety DUI/DWI/DUID (ie. no kid in the vehicle, no injury to another via accident) is not always a felony. Hell, in Texas, you get two practice attempts at the misdemeanor level before you graduate to the felony rodeo. And that presumes that you did not get one of the first two reduced to something less innocuous such as obstructing a roadway or reckless conduct (or in the case of one client that I worked with recently, a B-misd DWI that was actually pled UP to an A-misd Deadly Conduct since they could get a deferred on that offense and not the DWI).

That being said, I have seen more than one instance where the issues were not getting into LS but rather getting past the extra hurdles put out by the Bar. Two DWI arrests in a short period of time at what is likely a young age (ie. under 30) does not set a good trend going forward.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest