Just got second DUI, what to do next? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ysustu

New

Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Post by ysustu » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:22 pm

I've applied to various law schools in Ohio as well as a few in Chicago and Pittsburgh.

The problem is I was charged with a DUI about three years ago and it was dropped to Physical Control. I was recently charged with a second DUI, technically a first offense being that the previous charge was reduced. I am in the process of sending the notifications to the schools to which I applied and am aware that this will have an effect on my admission. My question is how much of an effect will this have on my potential admission to law school and future admission to the bar.

Also, I plan on have an evaluation done at a drug and alcohol treatment center and am wondering if there is anything further I should be doing, and would it be at all helpful to mention that I will be undergoing the evaluation when updating the schools to which I applied about the incident?

gothamm

Silver

Re: Just got second DUI, what to do next?

Post by gothamm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:15 pm

DUI is kind of a big deal. You'd better communicate that it will never, ever happen again and you'd better enroll in a class or two to give them objective reasons.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Stop drinking and driving.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:18 pm

zonto wrote:Stop drinking and driving.

"hahaha"

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:22 pm

Invent a time machine

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:23 pm

apply for shift manager at McDonald's

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:25 pm

ysustu wrote:I've applied to various law schools in Ohio as well as a few in Chicago and Pittsburgh.

The problem is I was charged with a DUI about three years ago and it was dropped to Physical Control. I was recently charged with a second DUI, technically a first offense being that the previous charge was reduced. I am in the process of sending the notifications to the schools to which I applied and am aware that this will have an effect on my admission. My question is how much of an effect will this have on my potential admission to law school and future admission to the bar.

Also, I plan on have an evaluation done at a drug and alcohol treatment center and am wondering if there is anything further I should be doing, and would it be at all helpful to mention that I will be undergoing the evaluation when updating the schools to which I applied about the incident?
Depending on your state, even if the first DUI was dropped to a lesser offense, the second offense may still be considered a second DUI. What should you do? I'd recommend a 12 step program.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:27 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:apply for assistant shift manager at McDonald's
fixed

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:28 pm

Either 12 step it, or move somewhere with good public transit. Hard to DUI a third time if you don't D.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Cavalier wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:apply for assistant to the shift manager at McDonald's
fixed
Fix'd

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Lol, beat me to it. What do you do? Something other than driving under the influence. That would be a start.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Seriously, you don't belong in law school. You seem like a rich kid who got bailed out once for drinking and driving and you are that asshole who didn't learn from it and did it again.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:43 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Seriously, you don't belong in law school. You seem like a rich kid who got bailed out once for drinking and driving and you are that asshole who didn't learn from it and did it again.
If he is a rich kid, then yeah. If he's someone whose had a really shitty life then he has my sympathy and I strongly encourage he seek help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Drake014 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Seriously, you don't belong in law school. You seem like a rich kid who got bailed out once for drinking and driving and you are that asshole who didn't learn from it and did it again.
If he is a rich kid, then yeah. If he's someone whose had a really shitty life then he has my sympathy and I strongly encourage he seek help.
I had a tough upbringing too. I don't do stupid shit. No sympathy from me.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:49 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
What if he was a survivor of an African genocide and he needed alcohol just to block out the horrors of watching his entire village massacred?

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:00 pm

Drake014 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
What if he was a survivor of an African genocide and he needed alcohol just to block out the horrors of watching his entire village massacred?
Okay, then he gets the benefit of the doubt.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Drake014 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
Well shit. Now the bar's pretty damn high.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Drake014 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
in that case, I would suggest public transportation instead of driving

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:39 pm

Drake014 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

Also, with that kind of PS, I think you could probably get into Yale regardless of criminal history, assuming no felonies. Seems like one of those "Nobel Prize" "Olympic gold medal" type of softs.

cern

New

Post by cern » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:44 pm

I guess, go for the hat-trick.

Mase

New

Post by Mase » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:54 pm

Find a new career. Live and learn. Not much else to say. You should now be worried about getting any job, rather then worrying about law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:55 pm

I take it you allready have an attorney. if not- get one asap. I would put off applying to law school until this is behind you. YOu are establishing a negative behavior pattern, and it may be in your best interests to go to counseling, even if you dont agree with it. YOu need to put some behind this incident and law school. Contact the bar in the state where you want to practice, and see how this would affect that. Depending on where you live, this could be a serious incident ( states are cracking down on dwis). Start getting another job to offset the legal fees and costs of this. You should strongly consider working for a few more years, and working on all aspects of your application to stregnthen it. best of luck.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:13 pm

ysustu wrote:I've applied to various law schools in Ohio as well as a few in Chicago and Pittsburgh.

If it happened after you began applying, or anytime this year for that matter, it's going to hurt you. Adcoms want to gage how good a student's judgment is. I would not plan on having great results. That doesn't mean you won't get in; your recent charge will likely turn off some schools, though.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:21 pm

+1 as a person whose mother is disabled for the rest of her life, because a person wanted to drink and get behind the wheel. You should concentrate on getting help. Not just because it will look good to law schools but because you don't want to ruin somebodies life like the drunk driver who destroyed my family.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Drake014 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
Even so that doesn't give a person the right to hurt others. Yes that's terrible and the person should get counselling but the truth is there is no excuse for continually putting peoples life in danger.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”