Asked to verify residency?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hous

Asked to verify residency?

Postby hous » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:02 pm

Is it a good sign if a school asks you to verify if you are a resident of its state (and qualify for in-state tuition)?

Or does it not mean anything? I spent some time overseas and a school is asking me for the dates I have been in Florida and what I was doing.

hous

Re: Asked to verify residency?

Postby hous » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:06 pm

This is a school that would be considered a reach for me, but I have LOR written by a graduate of their law school and I think I have pretty good softs (International experience)...

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:17 pm

hous wrote:This is a school that would be considered a reach for me, but I have LOR written by a graduate of their law school and I think I have pretty good softs (International experience)...

Could just be a standard form. I got that dumb shit when I applied too.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:26 pm

Probably the same concept behind getting a fee waiver--does not guarantee admission. They may just want to know. I can see where you are coming from though. UConn asks for the residency affidavit on the application. If they asked for it after I applied, I would wonder the same thing.

hous

Postby hous » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Its actually not a form. Infact it doesnt even give me a preferred method to answer. It just says to provide it.

hous

Postby hous » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Probably the same concept behind getting a fee waiver--does not guarantee admission. They may just want to know. I can see where you are coming from though. UConn asks for the residency affidavit on the application. If they asked for it after I applied, I would wonder the same thing.

Yeah, this school, asked on the application, but I guess because I was overseas for a year there are questions about my residency.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:30 pm

hous wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Probably the same concept behind getting a fee waiver--does not guarantee admission. They may just want to know. I can see where you are coming from though. UConn asks for the residency affidavit on the application. If they asked for it after I applied, I would wonder the same thing.

Yeah, this school, University of Florida, asked on the application, but I guess because I was overseas for a year there are questions about my residency.

Conventional wisdom would be that if they weren't going to accept you, they would not care. And that they are only asking because they are seriously considering you/are going to accept you. But adcomm's don't follow conventional wisdom so this logic cannot be used appropriately.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”