Legal Career as a Military Spouse?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CmonSD

Legal Career as a Military Spouse?

Postby CmonSD » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:46 pm

My fiancé is active duty Navy and the school I want to attend is 5 hours away. While the distance isn't ideal, I am more concerned with my career after law school and worried that moving around every 4-6 years (potentially to different parts of the country) may make establishing a legal career next to impossible. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

CmonSD

Re: Legal Career as a Military Spouse?

Postby CmonSD » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:54 pm

No one :?

Paichka

Re: Legal Career as a Military Spouse?

Postby Paichka » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:13 pm

Best thing to do, probably, would be to try to work with the military as a civilian legal contractor. I know a lot of spouses generally get jobs on post -- a friend of mine works in the Department of Public Works as a civil engineer, so she can move around as her husband is reassigned.

I don't know about the Navy, but I know that the Army contracts out a lot of legal functions -- at the office I worked at this summer, civilians made up the bulk of the Tort Claims, Administrative Law, Environmental Law, and Legal Assistance functions. I know that there is a significant civilian presence in government contracting as well. I have no idea how competitive those jobs are (I'd imagine fairly competitive, particularly in this economy) but that would be one potential avenue open to you.

Alternatively, you could try to work for some massive firm that has offices everywhere, and hopefully your husband could only get assigned to large bases near large cities that would (hopefully) have one of your firm's satellite offices (ie, San Diego).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”