LSAT Scores Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mbgizmo

New

LSAT Scores

Post by mbgizmo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Has anyone been accepted with an LSAT of 147 or lower - GPA is 3.80 - any idea of my chances for acceptance - any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fatduck

Gold

Re: LSAT Scores

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:45 pm

whatever you do, do not retake the LSAT under any circumstances.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:46 pm

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com

Yes people have been accepted with low LSAT scores. However, any school that takes a 147 or lower isn't worth going to.

Assuming we are talking about you here, you should retake the LSAT.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:48 pm

bk187 wrote:http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com

Yes people have been accepted with low LSAT scores. However, any school that takes a 147 or lower isn't worth going to.

Assuming we are talking about you here, you should retake the LSAT.
<3 you twin.

BuckeyeBoy2011

New

Post by BuckeyeBoy2011 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:44 pm

Yes I know someone who got a 147 LSAT, around your GPA and got into some decent T1 schools.

He says that if you can retake it though, definitely do it and try to get high 150s.
But if not, he said to really read what each school says on the admissions portion of the website and see if they say they look at the complete application, because then a good PS, and LOR help you out. Also, he said that apparently lawyers have a lot of problems with being able to write, so make sure to show that you excel at writing through your statement.

If you have anything else, I'll ask him and see if he has anymore advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:44 pm

mbgizmo wrote:Has anyone been accepted with an LSAT of 147 or lower - GPA is 3.80 - any idea of my chances for acceptance - any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Since I assume you are applying next cycle (it's a bit late not to have heard from anywhere yet), I would say to retake the LSAT. On average people tend to improve on retakes and even breaking 150 would be very useful for you. Otherwise, you might make Tier 1, but I don't think it's likely and you will be at the very bottom and likely no $

livelovelaugh49

New

Post by livelovelaugh49 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:58 pm

mbgizmo wrote:Has anyone been accepted with an LSAT of 147 or lower - GPA is 3.80 - any idea of my chances for acceptance - any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I'm in the same boat, have you heard any more words of wisdom that you would be willing to pass on?

micwrecka45

New

Post by micwrecka45 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:26 pm

absolutely absolutely retake. i don't mean this in a rude way, and i really want to help you out. 147 is bad. there is not a single school that will admit you with a 147 that is worth going to. there is tons of advice on these forums as to how you should guide your lsat studies to maximize your score. even a couple points up to the mid or high 150's would be very helpful. at the very least, even if you end up going to the same or similar school that you would have gotten in with a 147, you would likely be able to score some scholarship money that would help defer the risk from the abysmal employment prospects of any school that admits 147s.

brownlaw56

New

Post by brownlaw56 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:57 pm

I had a less-than-amazing UGPA of 3.0, but I went on to get a MSc International Politics from the University of Glasgow. I've also scored 156 on my LSAT. The trouble in trying to make any calculations is that British universities don't give grades the same way the US does. You either earn a degree or you earn a degree with distinction. Mine is just the garden variety MSc. Does anyone have any idea of what kind of schools I can expect to get into?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:58 pm

brownlaw56 wrote:I had a less-than-amazing UGPA of 3.0, but I went on to get a MSc International Politics from the University of Glasgow. I've also scored 156 on my LSAT. The trouble in trying to make any calculations is that British universities don't give grades the same way the US does. You either earn a degree or you earn a degree with distinction. Mine is just the garden variety MSc. Does anyone have any idea of what kind of schools I can expect to get into?
Your grad GPA is irrelevant. All that matters is your UGPA and your LSAT, both of which are awful. With a 156 you aren't getting into any schools worth going to and you should retake the LSAT so you can get into schools worth going to at prices that are reasonable.

brownlaw56

New

Post by brownlaw56 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:14 pm

bk187 wrote:
brownlaw56 wrote:I had a less-than-amazing UGPA of 3.0, but I went on to get a MSc International Politics from the University of Glasgow. I've also scored 156 on my LSAT. The trouble in trying to make any calculations is that British universities don't give grades the same way the US does. You either earn a degree or you earn a degree with distinction. Mine is just the garden variety MSc. Does anyone have any idea of what kind of schools I can expect to get into?
Your grad GPA is irrelevant. All that matters is your UGPA and your LSAT, both of which are awful. With a 156 you aren't getting into any schools worth going to and you should retake the LSAT so you can get into schools worth going to at prices that are reasonable.
How much do I need to improve on the LSAT to make up for my bad GPA?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:15 pm

brownlaw56 wrote:How much do I need to improve on the LSAT to make up for my bad GPA?
170+ is ideal. Maybe 168+ could do but you really should get a 170+ to have financial options that are half decent.

brownlaw56

New

Post by brownlaw56 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:28 am

Is GPA more important than LSAT score?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:50 am

brownlaw56 wrote:Is GPA more important than LSAT score?
It depends. With a 3.0, your going to be looking at splitter friendly schools, splitter meaning LSAT > 75% range and GPA < 25% range. Of the top of my head you'll want WUSTL, UIUC, and some of the bottom t14s. For some schools, like texas, berkeley,, the t6, and other GPA obsessed schools your out unless there are some really good extenuating circumstances.

brownlaw56

New

Post by brownlaw56 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 am

chem wrote:
It depends. With a 3.0, your going to be looking at splitter friendly schools, splitter meaning LSAT > 75% range and GPA < 25% range. Of the top of my head you'll want WUSTL, UIUC, and some of the bottom t14s. For some schools, like texas, berkeley,, the t6, and other GPA obsessed schools your out unless there are some really good extenuating circumstances.
How can I find out what schools are GPA-centric?

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:26 am

brownlaw56 wrote:
chem wrote:
How can I find out what schools are GPA-centric?
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

Look at the graphs for schools you are interested in. the ones that are GPA centric you can basically draw a straight line at a certain GPA between acceptances and denies.

ie. Duke, around the 3.5 point http://duke.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:24 pm

I scored below that and was accepted to tier 2's, including scholarships....Additionally, waitlisted at Tier 1's. However, I strongly encourage a retake.

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks
I can't really think of any situation where you shouldn't retake.

The only reason you SHOULDN'T retake is if you took it 3 times already, got below 147 and you studied your ASS off each time. Then you waited 2 years, eating and breathing the LSAT everyday, retook again 3 times and still didn't get over 147. Then MAYBE you shouldn't retake. And even in that situation I'd STILL RETAKE.

Since your GPA is above the 75th percentile for most schools, at this point where you'll get accepted (and your future) is determined entirely by your LSAT score. A 10 point increase would benefit you greatly... I'd say that's a good enough reason to retake.

Study your ass off and get 160+. I find it hard to believe you won't break 160 when you have a 3.8 GPA. Obviously GPA isn't an accurate factor in determining LSAT scores but still....
Last edited by senorhosh on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”