Cooley or Hamline? RESULTS IN (Bottom Page 3)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby law4vus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:47 pm

The other day I was at the grocery store and saw a guy with a "Thomas M. Cooley Alumni" shirt. He was using food stamps.

Tell your friend she's a bloody fool and to do something else with her life if she's not willing to retake.

PiersonVee
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby PiersonVee » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:52 pm

Cooley is okay if you plan on starting your own practice. Seriously, I know someone that graduated summa from Cooley, and she could not find a job.

User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby zanda » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:57 pm

Verity wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
minnesotasam wrote:YEAH YOU AWFUL BIGOT HOW DARE YOU IMPLY THAT THE MAJORITY OF WOMEN ARE HETEROSEXUAL SIMPLY BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF WOMEN ARE HETEROSEXUAL!!


:roll: I think it's pretty clear that the post wasn't meant to discredit notion that the majority of women are heterosexual. It simply attacked the implied idea that it'd be nonsensical to suggest OP was interested in women because she's a woman herself.

Don't capslock the strawman, it's bad practice.



TITCR.

wow. kid got worked.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:59 pm

law4vus wrote:The other day I was at the grocery store and saw a guy with a "Thomas M. Cooley Alumni" shirt. He was using food stamps.

Tell your friend she's a bloody fool and to do something else with her life if she's not willing to retake.


This is stupid. Do you have any idea how many chicks he must get rocking a TC alumn shirt?

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby law4vus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:02 pm

gothamm wrote:
law4vus wrote:The other day I was at the grocery store and saw a guy with a "Thomas M. Cooley Alumni" shirt. He was using food stamps.

Tell your friend she's a bloody fool and to do something else with her life if she's not willing to retake.


This is stupid. Do you have any idea how many chicks he must get rocking a TC alumn shirt?


You know, I never thought of that. He was probably modest though and told them it was only ranked 5 in the country. Chicks did modesty.

User avatar
Andrzej
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby Andrzej » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:05 pm

if it ranked #5 in all of U.S.A than it is clearly a fine instititution of law. I will go.

minnesotasam
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:47 am

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby minnesotasam » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:29 pm

zanda wrote:
Verity wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
minnesotasam wrote:YEAH YOU AWFUL BIGOT HOW DARE YOU IMPLY THAT THE MAJORITY OF WOMEN ARE HETEROSEXUAL SIMPLY BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF WOMEN ARE HETEROSEXUAL!!


:roll: I think it's pretty clear that the post wasn't meant to discredit notion that the majority of women are heterosexual. It simply attacked the implied idea that it'd be nonsensical to suggest OP was interested in women because she's a woman herself.

Don't capslock the strawman, it's bad practice.



TITCR.

wow. kid got worked.

Reading: how does it work?

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby Total Litigator » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:52 pm

I would say just have your friend read this thread. But she will probably only actual absorb the following post:

Fred_McGriff wrote:Cooley if she wants to explore business applications to the law and wind up in Biglaw, Hamline if she's looking for a better LRAP and more traditional academic training.


and go hmm, interesting, now I have a decision to make.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby Verity » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Total Litigator wrote:I would say just have your friend read this thread. But she will probably only actual absorb the following post:

Fred_McGriff wrote:Cooley if she wants to explore business applications to the law and wind up in Biglaw, Hamline if she's looking for a better LRAP and more traditional academic training.


and go hmm, interesting, now I have a decision to make.



ROFL, yes, yes, TITCR!


In truth, I think she'd read this thread and be like, "Girl, whatch you think, I'm STUPID???"

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby 2014 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm confident I could pull off a 138 while blacked out drunk.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby northwood » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:20 pm

2014 wrote:I'm confident I could pull off a 138 while blacked out drunk.


only one way to prove it

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby Fred_McGriff » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Dude, you were so wasted last night, you blacked out, went to a local college, took the LSAT and got a 140.

User avatar
aspire2more
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby aspire2more » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:18 pm

I am very good friends with a Cooley Law alum. She's not successful in the sense that your friend is thinking, but she's happy. Her specialty is highly marketable right now in the non-profit/public interest realm, which she enjoys working in because it allows her to have the whole husband-baby-house package on top of her career. Is she going to rake in six-figures every year (not including her husband's salary)? Of course not. She's not in private practice or a big organization with room to move way up the ladder. But her office pays her the same as the other newer attorneys and she's definitely not on food stamps or destitute. Her baby will be in the same financial position I was when I grew up - far from the top of the so-called middle class, but still comfortably above a paycheck-to-paycheck existence.

I'm not saying that going to Cooley is a great career choice for prospective attorneys. For a lot of people, even if they do make it out of there with a degree (instead of being asked to leave early), Cooley is just not worth the debt and the three years of time they could spend studying something else, saving money, or improving their LSAT score. I'm just saying that Cooley is not going to necessarily be THE END OF THE WORLD OMGZ!!!! for your friend if she decides to go.

Instead, your friend has deeper problems, that my friend did not have:

1. Your friend bombed the LSAT. Bombed it. In fact, there is a really good chance she won't get in to these schools and this discussion will be completely irrelevant.

2. Your friend has unrealistic expectations. My friend is not a millionaire. I have other friends who have bachelor's degrees (but no advanced degrees) and they make more than she does. If she wants to become rich, she is going about it the wrong way.

3. Your friend hasn't thought this through. Does she have significant work experience? Any legal-related experience? Has she picked the brains of any actual attorneys (esp. those who graduated from her "reach" schools)? Or is she basing her decision off of Law and Order reruns?

Really, the only thing you can do as a friend is warn her. Make sure to explain how much of a difference taking time off (not a cycle, but years), scoring ~300% better on the LSAT, and determining whether or not she actually wants a J.D. can mean for her future happiness. If she doesn't listen, don't worry about it. You care about this person, sure. But she has to live her own life, just like you have to live yours. Be kind and be a friend (no matter what ultimately happens) and at the end of the day, you've done the right thing.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby Verity » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:28 pm

aspire2more wrote:I am very good friends with a Cooley Law alum. She's not successful in the sense that your friend is thinking, but she's happy. Her specialty is highly marketable right now in the non-profit/public interest realm, which she enjoys working in because it allows her to have the whole husband-baby-house package on top of her career. Is she going to rake in six-figures every year (not including her husband's salary)? Of course not. She's not in private practice or a big organization with room to move way up the ladder. But her office pays her the same as the other newer attorneys and she's definitely not on food stamps or destitute. Her baby will be in the same financial position I was when I grew up - far from the top of the so-called middle class, but still comfortably above a paycheck-to-paycheck existence.

I'm not saying that going to Cooley is a great career choice for prospective attorneys. For a lot of people, even if they do make it out of there with a degree (instead of being asked to leave early), Cooley is just not worth the debt and the three years of time they could spend studying something else, saving money, or improving their LSAT score. I'm just saying that Cooley is not going to necessarily be THE END OF THE WORLD OMGZ!!!! for your friend if she decides to go.

Instead, your friend has deeper problems, that my friend did not have:

1. Your friend bombed the LSAT. Bombed it. In fact, there is a really good chance she won't get in to these schools and this discussion will be completely irrelevant.

2. Your friend has unrealistic expectations. My friend is not a millionaire. I have other friends who have bachelor's degrees (but no advanced degrees) and they make more than she does. If she wants to become rich, she is going about it the wrong way.

3. Your friend hasn't thought this through. Does she have significant work experience? Any legal-related experience? Has she picked the brains of any actual attorneys (esp. those who graduated from her "reach" schools)? Or is she basing her decision off of Law and Order reruns?

Really, the only thing you can do as a friend is warn her. Make sure to explain how much of a difference taking time off (not a cycle, but years), scoring ~300% better on the LSAT, and determining whether or not she actually wants a J.D. can mean for her future happiness. If she doesn't listen, don't worry about it. You care about this person, sure. But she has to live her own life, just like you have to live yours. Be kind and be a friend (no matter what ultimately happens) and at the end of the day, you've done the right thing.



Thanks. I actually had a talk with her recently and she flipped out, and was like "you just think you're so much better than me," and called me a "hater" a few times. So, I'm just throwing in the towel. It will probably fizzle out, like that one time she seriously wanted to be a rapper. The only real work experience she has is working at CVS. I feel like a true shit for being this negative about her future, but she needs to grow up.

Would've liked to read some of her future briefs though...

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby stratocophic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Verity wrote:
aspire2more wrote:I am very good friends with a Cooley Law alum. She's not successful in the sense that your friend is thinking, but she's happy. Her specialty is highly marketable right now in the non-profit/public interest realm, which she enjoys working in because it allows her to have the whole husband-baby-house package on top of her career. Is she going to rake in six-figures every year (not including her husband's salary)? Of course not. She's not in private practice or a big organization with room to move way up the ladder. But her office pays her the same as the other newer attorneys and she's definitely not on food stamps or destitute. Her baby will be in the same financial position I was when I grew up - far from the top of the so-called middle class, but still comfortably above a paycheck-to-paycheck existence.

I'm not saying that going to Cooley is a great career choice for prospective attorneys. For a lot of people, even if they do make it out of there with a degree (instead of being asked to leave early), Cooley is just not worth the debt and the three years of time they could spend studying something else, saving money, or improving their LSAT score. I'm just saying that Cooley is not going to necessarily be THE END OF THE WORLD OMGZ!!!! for your friend if she decides to go.

Instead, your friend has deeper problems, that my friend did not have:

1. Your friend bombed the LSAT. Bombed it. In fact, there is a really good chance she won't get in to these schools and this discussion will be completely irrelevant.

2. Your friend has unrealistic expectations. My friend is not a millionaire. I have other friends who have bachelor's degrees (but no advanced degrees) and they make more than she does. If she wants to become rich, she is going about it the wrong way.

3. Your friend hasn't thought this through. Does she have significant work experience? Any legal-related experience? Has she picked the brains of any actual attorneys (esp. those who graduated from her "reach" schools)? Or is she basing her decision off of Law and Order reruns?

Really, the only thing you can do as a friend is warn her. Make sure to explain how much of a difference taking time off (not a cycle, but years), scoring ~300% better on the LSAT, and determining whether or not she actually wants a J.D. can mean for her future happiness. If she doesn't listen, don't worry about it. You care about this person, sure. But she has to live her own life, just like you have to live yours. Be kind and be a friend (no matter what ultimately happens) and at the end of the day, you've done the right thing.



Thanks. I actually had a talk with her recently and she flipped out, and was like "you just think you're so much better than me," and called me a "hater" a few times. So, I'm just throwing in the towel. It will probably fizzle out, like that one time she seriously wanted to be a rapper. The only real work experience she has is working at CVS. I feel like a true shit for being this negative about her future, but she needs to grow up.

Would've liked to read some of her future briefs though...
Should've requested that she direct her attention to the

Image

Also, a rapper? Hilarious

emmbar53
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby emmbar53 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:18 am

stratocophic wrote:
Verity wrote:
aspire2more wrote:I am very good friends with a Cooley Law alum. She's not successful in the sense that your friend is thinking, but she's happy. Her specialty is highly marketable right now in the non-profit/public interest realm, which she enjoys working in because it allows her to have the whole husband-baby-house package on top of her career. Is she going to rake in six-figures every year (not including her husband's salary)? Of course not. She's not in private practice or a big organization with room to move way up the ladder. But her office pays her the same as the other newer attorneys and she's definitely not on food stamps or destitute. Her baby will be in the same financial position I was when I grew up - far from the top of the so-called middle class, but still comfortably above a paycheck-to-paycheck existence.

I'm not saying that going to Cooley is a great career choice for prospective attorneys. For a lot of people, even if they do make it out of there with a degree (instead of being asked to leave early), Cooley is just not worth the debt and the three years of time they could spend studying something else, saving money, or improving their LSAT score. I'm just saying that Cooley is not going to necessarily be THE END OF THE WORLD OMGZ!!!! for your friend if she decides to go.

Instead, your friend has deeper problems, that my friend did not have:

1. Your friend bombed the LSAT. Bombed it. In fact, there is a really good chance she won't get in to these schools and this discussion will be completely irrelevant.

2. Your friend has unrealistic expectations. My friend is not a millionaire. I have other friends who have bachelor's degrees (but no advanced degrees) and they make more than she does. If she wants to become rich, she is going about it the wrong way.

3. Your friend hasn't thought this through. Does she have significant work experience? Any legal-related experience? Has she picked the brains of any actual attorneys (esp. those who graduated from her "reach" schools)? Or is she basing her decision off of Law and Order reruns?

Really, the only thing you can do as a friend is warn her. Make sure to explain how much of a difference taking time off (not a cycle, but years), scoring ~300% better on the LSAT, and determining whether or not she actually wants a J.D. can mean for her future happiness. If she doesn't listen, don't worry about it. You care about this person, sure. But she has to live her own life, just like you have to live yours. Be kind and be a friend (no matter what ultimately happens) and at the end of the day, you've done the right thing.



Thanks. I actually had a talk with her recently and she flipped out, and was like "you just think you're so much better than me," and called me a "hater" a few times. So, I'm just throwing in the towel. It will probably fizzle out, like that one time she seriously wanted to be a rapper. The only real work experience she has is working at CVS. I feel like a true shit for being this negative about her future, but she needs to grow up.

Would've liked to read some of her future briefs though...
Should've requested that she direct her attention to the

Image

Also, a rapper? Hilarious


Don't laugh. I am considering a dual degree with Michigan's JD+Lyrical Engineering Program.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby stratocophic » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:33 am

emmbar53 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Verity wrote:
aspire2more wrote:I am very good friends with a Cooley Law alum. She's not successful in the sense that your friend is thinking, but she's happy. Her specialty is highly marketable right now in the non-profit/public interest realm, which she enjoys working in because it allows her to have the whole husband-baby-house package on top of her career. Is she going to rake in six-figures every year (not including her husband's salary)? Of course not. She's not in private practice or a big organization with room to move way up the ladder. But her office pays her the same as the other newer attorneys and she's definitely not on food stamps or destitute. Her baby will be in the same financial position I was when I grew up - far from the top of the so-called middle class, but still comfortably above a paycheck-to-paycheck existence.

I'm not saying that going to Cooley is a great career choice for prospective attorneys. For a lot of people, even if they do make it out of there with a degree (instead of being asked to leave early), Cooley is just not worth the debt and the three years of time they could spend studying something else, saving money, or improving their LSAT score. I'm just saying that Cooley is not going to necessarily be THE END OF THE WORLD OMGZ!!!! for your friend if she decides to go.

Instead, your friend has deeper problems, that my friend did not have:

1. Your friend bombed the LSAT. Bombed it. In fact, there is a really good chance she won't get in to these schools and this discussion will be completely irrelevant.

2. Your friend has unrealistic expectations. My friend is not a millionaire. I have other friends who have bachelor's degrees (but no advanced degrees) and they make more than she does. If she wants to become rich, she is going about it the wrong way.

3. Your friend hasn't thought this through. Does she have significant work experience? Any legal-related experience? Has she picked the brains of any actual attorneys (esp. those who graduated from her "reach" schools)? Or is she basing her decision off of Law and Order reruns?

Really, the only thing you can do as a friend is warn her. Make sure to explain how much of a difference taking time off (not a cycle, but years), scoring ~300% better on the LSAT, and determining whether or not she actually wants a J.D. can mean for her future happiness. If she doesn't listen, don't worry about it. You care about this person, sure. But she has to live her own life, just like you have to live yours. Be kind and be a friend (no matter what ultimately happens) and at the end of the day, you've done the right thing.



Thanks. I actually had a talk with her recently and she flipped out, and was like "you just think you're so much better than me," and called me a "hater" a few times. So, I'm just throwing in the towel. It will probably fizzle out, like that one time she seriously wanted to be a rapper. The only real work experience she has is working at CVS. I feel like a true shit for being this negative about her future, but she needs to grow up.

Would've liked to read some of her future briefs though...
Should've requested that she direct her attention to the

Image

Also, a rapper? Hilarious


Don't laugh. I am considering a dual degree with Michigan's JD+Lyrical Engineering Program.
See now that's different, dropping a rhyme in oral argument and taking your opponent's position apart in rhythm is a completely different kettle of fish from the undiscovered --> international superstar dream

Eponymous
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby Eponymous » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:25 am

Thanks. I actually had a talk with her recently and she flipped out, and was like "you just think you're so much better than me," and called me a "hater" a few times. Would've liked to read some of her future briefs though...[/quote]

"Hater" is a relatively new iteration of a perfectly good word. However, in its newest incarnation, "hater" is used by the lazy/unintelligent/disorganized/dysfunctional/chaotic among us, and its meaning is roughly equivalent to : "annoying bearer of rational, fact-based analysis who is trying to pull me out of my warm bath of happy delusion and baseless self-esteem"

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby alexonfyre » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:14 am

Eponymous wrote:
"Hater" is a relatively new iteration of a perfectly good word. However, in its newest incarnation, "hater" is used by the lazy/unintelligent/disorganized/dysfunctional/chaotic among us, and its meaning is roughly equivalent to : "annoying bearer of rational, fact-based analysis who is trying to pull me out of my warm bath of happy delusion and baseless self-esteem"


wtf are you talking about, and why did you bump a 4 day old thread with this?

emjay
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:59 am

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby emjay » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Definitely Hamline. Also, good luck to your "friend" OP, ;)

User avatar
Linksys
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:43 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby Linksys » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:11 am

138 what the fuck?

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5697
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby Easy-E » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Eponymous wrote:"Hater" is a relatively new iteration of a perfectly good word. However, in its newest incarnation, "hater" is used by the lazy/unintelligent/disorganized/dysfunctional/chaotic among us, and its meaning is roughly equivalent to : "annoying bearer of rational, fact-based analysis who is trying to pull me out of my warm bath of happy delusion and baseless self-esteem"



I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:BTW, your friend's logical thinking skills are probably more at fault here than your advocacy skills. You can't convince someone of anything if they aren't capable of comprehending your argument. It's like trying to explain tides to Bill O'Reilly.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby Verity » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:02 pm

Just thought I'd bump this thread to update that this girl was rejected at both.

What did she learn? Nothing. She keeps blaming me for my "negativity," and also cites her late applications as the reason why she was rejected.

She is determined to get HLS next cycle. She's toying with the idea of a retake.

Her fucking scumbag, weirdo boyfriend keeps pushing her to become a lawyer, because the idiot thinks it will make her rich, and he'll be able to freeload for life. He also wanted her to become a rapper, when that was her fad.

Her father is never home, and her mother is a space cadet with no education, ambition, or helpful advice.

She's currently working at K-Mart. She makes less than $250/week. She gets into fights with her co-workers. She's basically on K-Mart probation.

She keeps injecting inapt legalese when we're talking. "Do you like this dress?" "SUSTAINED!"

What the fuck?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:07 pm

Verity wrote:Just thought I'd bump this thread to update that this girl was rejected at both.

What did she learn? Nothing. She keeps blaming me for my "negativity," and also cites her late applications as the reason why she was rejected.

She is determined to get HLS next cycle. She's toying with the idea of a retake.

Her fucking scumbag, weirdo boyfriend keeps pushing her to become a lawyer, because the idiot thinks it will make her rich, and he'll be able to freeload for life. He also wanted her to become a rapper, when that was her fad.

Her father is never home, and her mother is a space cadet with no education, ambition, or helpful advice.

She's currently working at K-Mart. She makes less than $250/week. She gets into fights with her co-workers. She's basically on K-Mart probation.

She keeps injecting inapt legalese when we're talking. "Do you like this dress?" "SUSTAINED!"

What the fuck?

The situation is just sort of sad, but the 'SUSTAINED!' made me lol




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests