Cooley or Hamline? RESULTS IN (Bottom Page 3)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fakemoney

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby fakemoney » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Verity wrote:
fakemoney wrote:Why does your friend want to go to law school?

I don't know exactly. She seems to think she'd make a good lawyer, and thinks they all become millionaires, despite my advice to the contrary. Sometimes I think she's just trying to copy me or something. Her undergrad major was communications, and this whole law school obsession just crept up within the past year or so.

That's what I was afraid of. If she had actual specific goals or aspirations in the legal field, she might be a little bit easier to reason with. You could point out how neither of those schools would serve fulfilling whatever aims she has particularly well, and that if she's serious about achieving them, she has to retake the LSAT.

To be honest, I think she might get dinged at both schools with those numbers. If by some chance she gets in and decides to embark on a bad idea, I don't think you can do anything beyond giving a few words of wisdom (emphasizing Cooley's infamy) but ultimately letting her make her own bad decision.

sighsigh

Postby sighsigh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Flame. I don't care if the OP claims otherwise.

And for all those interested, last cycle Cooley's median was 2.99/146 and Hamline's was 3.39/153. Medians at both will probably be significantly lower this cycle due to drop in # of LSAT takers, but still, ding at both.

Weird, I've sometimes seen people saying that Cooley has open-door admissions. I guess that isn't true?

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:18 pm

go with cooley, larger alumni base, better known in the US

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Cooley if she wants to explore business applications to the law and wind up in Biglaw, Hamline if she's looking for a better LRAP and more traditional academic training.

javancho

Postby javancho » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Definitively Cooley. After all, the school ranks #2 right after Harvard. Considering those stats, the 60K/year investment is totally worth it.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:33 pm

yale or cooley? can one really objectively claim that there is a discernible difference between #1 and #2? I think in this case it comes down to whichever school has the better weather.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Verity wrote:I'm gonna attempt to keep this thread as down-to-business as possible, due to the prevalence of anti-TTT (especially Cooley) trolling.

A friend of mine is seriously considering attending either Cooley or Hamline. She's got it in her head that actually going to one of these schools and paying full-price (and no, she's not getting any scholarships with a 2.6/138) is a good investment. I've tried time and time again to dissuade her from wasting her time and money (I'm actually starting to worry about my advocacy skills, BTW). What the heck should I tell her?

Maybe I should just shrug it off? Nah, she's been a friend for a long time, and I'm really worried because I just don't think she knows what she's getting into. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble convincing her this would be unwise.

Or am I wrong?

I now work with a kid who is 27. He took out 35000 in loans to attend a shit TTT in Ohio. He lasted 1 year and dropped out. I am 23 and not only am I his boss, but he is spending the majority of the evening typing out a mailing list in Microsoft Word. Does your friend want the same?

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:40 pm

SrLaw wrote:
Verity wrote:I'm gonna attempt to keep this thread as down-to-business as possible, due to the prevalence of anti-TTT (especially Cooley) trolling.

A friend of mine is seriously considering attending either Cooley or Hamline. She's got it in her head that actually going to one of these schools and paying full-price (and no, she's not getting any scholarships with a 2.6/138) is a good investment. I've tried time and time again to dissuade her from wasting her time and money (I'm actually starting to worry about my advocacy skills, BTW). What the heck should I tell her?

Maybe I should just shrug it off? Nah, she's been a friend for a long time, and I'm really worried because I just don't think she knows what she's getting into. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble convincing her this would be unwise.

Or am I wrong?

I now work with a kid who is 27. He took out 35000 in loans to attend a shit TTT in Ohio. He lasted 1 year and dropped out. I am 23 and not only am I his boss, but he is spending the majority of the evening typing out a mailing list in Microsoft Word. Does your friend want the same?

point noted, but that is a terrible example.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:43 pm

the best thing you can do is point your friend towards TLS and inform themof the help it has as a successful law student ( or canidate). Once you do this, you are all set. If you friend wants to go there after posting and lurking on TLS- then there is no stopping her/him, and theres nothing you can do about it.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:45 pm

gothamm wrote:
SrLaw wrote:

Or am I wrong?

Explain? Because to me it could not be more dead on. Any school out of the top 50 (and that is a stretch) is financial suicide.

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:16 pm

SrLaw wrote:Explain? Because to me it could not be more dead on. Any school out of the top 50 (and that is a stretch) is financial suicide.

It's a terrible (i.e., sad, pitiful, depressing, etc.) story - I think that's what was meant.

StickyIcky

Postby StickyIcky » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:28 am

MattThiessen wrote:
fatduck wrote:giving her law school advice is not going to get you in her pants, btw

Verity's Profile wrote:Gender: Female

heteronormativity much?

Wactawshus

Postby Wactawshus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:46 am

SrLaw wrote:
gothamm wrote:
SrLaw wrote:

Or am I wrong?

Explain? Because to me it could not be more dead on. Any school out of the top 50 (and that is a stretch) is financial suicide.

Have you gone outside today? It's pretty cool to see the sky falling first hand.

Way to take the complete opposite side of an already drastic scenario!

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:02 am

The roommate of my good friend took the LSAT after graduating. A few months later, I ask my friend what school this guy got into. He tells me Michigan. This surprised me because the roommate never really struck me as the type who would break the T14. I see the guy a little while later and congratulate him on getting into Michigan. Apparently my friend mixed up Michigan with "a school in Michigan". The guy is attending Cooley. Suffice to say, it was awkward.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 am

The solution is to either avoid being friends with utterly irrational individuals or realize that their life isn't your own and act accordingly.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:23 am

I have the opposite problem... my 29yo best friend, who is quite intelligent, is attending CC one class at a time to eventually--at this rate in about ten years--go to chiropractic school. She's currently taking the level of math I took in 8th grade. I'd love to be able to get her to aim HIGHER (quit her shitty PT retail job, take out some loans and go full-time to a real UG for a real major), but for some reason the whole 4-year-college thing never took root in her brain when she was younger. I blame her parents, who are paying for her wedding this fall and are solidly middle-class but didn't send her to college??? WTF.

Sorry for the tangent, but it makes me *facepalm* in kinda the same way as OP's friend's irrationality does.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:30 am

StickyIcky wrote:
MattThiessen wrote:
fatduck wrote:giving her law school advice is not going to get you in her pants, btw

Verity's Profile wrote:Gender: Female

heteronormativity much?

YEAH YOU AWFUL BIGOT HOW DARE YOU IMPLY THAT THE MAJORITY OF WOMEN ARE HETEROSEXUAL SIMPLY BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF WOMEN ARE HETEROSEXUAL!!

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:45 pm

minnesotasam wrote:YEAH YOU AWFUL BIGOT HOW DARE YOU IMPLY THAT THE MAJORITY OF WOMEN ARE HETEROSEXUAL SIMPLY BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF WOMEN ARE HETEROSEXUAL!!

:roll: I think it's pretty clear that the post wasn't meant to discredit notion that the majority of women are heterosexual. It simply attacked the implied idea that it'd be nonsensical to suggest OP was interested in women because she's a woman herself.

Don't capslock the strawman, it's bad practice.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:55 pm

dresden doll wrote:implied idea that it'd be nonsensical

dresden doll wrote:the strawman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2ayWcJfxo

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:19 pm

minnesotasam wrote:YEAH YOU AWFUL BIGOT HOW DARE YOU IMPLY THAT THE MAJORITY OF WOMEN ARE HETEROSEXUAL SIMPLY BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF WOMEN ARE HETEROSEXUAL!!

calm down, woman.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:21 pm

femininormativity much?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:22 pm

minnesotasam wrote:femininormativity much?

well the majority of people are women, so i just assumed.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:26 pm

See? At least someone has fun posting!

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:29 pm

fatduck wrote:
minnesotasam wrote:femininormativity much?

well the majority of people are women, so i just assumed.
C'mon, fatduck. You know there are no women on the internet.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:37 pm

dresden doll wrote:

:roll: I think it's pretty clear that the post wasn't meant to discredit notion that the majority of women are heterosexual. It simply attacked the implied idea that it'd be nonsensical to suggest OP was interested in women because she's a woman herself.

Don't capslock the strawman, it's bad practice.

TITCR.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”