Cooley or Hamline? RESULTS IN (Bottom Page 3)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Cooley or Hamline? RESULTS IN (Bottom Page 3)

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:03 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
amg414 wrote:Their application is actually pretty intense (one question asks for a brief autobiography of your political and social life) and they require an interview by a tribunal of their admissions staff. They are also pretty upfront about how applicants should not expect to make high incomes, and that they want students who are ready to serve the underprivileged in the community. I think it would be hasty to write this school off as another degree mill.

Indeed, they are very frank, but unfortunately they are not accredited, only licensed

The current (maybe former) mayor of LA went there and failed the bar like 5 times. In CA, they have to take the baby bar after 1L which a very small percentage even pass. So, most (>80% IRCC) don't even make it to 2L year.

In the last exam, they had a 0% pass rate (10 takers): http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Ak8V3Z4Q3YA%3d&tabid=2269. The one before had a 21% pass rate. http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=zejPYLw3BPE%3d&tabid=2269.

They also had a 0% pass rate for the actual bar in both 2010 exams.

amg414

Postby amg414 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:06 pm

blowhard wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
amg414 wrote:Their application is actually pretty intense (one question asks for a brief autobiography of your political and social life) and they require an interview by a tribunal of their admissions staff. They are also pretty upfront about how applicants should not expect to make high incomes, and that they want students who are ready to serve the underprivileged in the community. I think it would be hasty to write this school off as another degree mill.

Indeed, they are very frank, but unfortunately they are not accredited, only licensed

The current (maybe former) mayor of LA went there and failed the bar like 5 times. In CA, they have to take the baby bar after 1L which a very small percentage even pass. So, most (>80% IRCC) don't even make it to 2L year.

In the last exam, they had a 0% pass rate (10 takers): [url]http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/LinkClick.aspx?

fileticket=Ak8V3Z4Q3YA%3d&tabid=2269[/url]. The one before had a 21% pass rate. [url]http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/LinkClick.aspx?
fileticket=zejPYLw3BPE%3d&tabid=2269[/url].

They also had a 0% pass rate for the actual bar in both 2010 exams.

Hey, I never said they were any good, I just wanted to point out they appeared to have standards one might not expect and motives other than profit.

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Bumped to update her job search.

SO,

The small PI firm didn't work out. She showed up on the wrong day for her interview, and got into a spat with the receptionist that was so loud a partner came out of his office to see what was going on. Graciously, he allowed her to fill out the application and sat and talked with her.

How did she fuck this one up? I'm pretty sure she flirted with him, after referring to this dude as a "sexy gringito." She has no sense of professionalism, which is evident the minute she walks into an interview wearing the tightest jeans imaginable. She has that wet, curly hairdo and wears provocative shirts that say "I know I'm fly, I'm [insert Puerto Rican flag]," and all that shit. But I guess it's kind of my fault, since I didn't mention attire when we were going over her resume. Should have known.

BUT,

She now has a job. Waitress at Joe's Crab Shack. Her temper with customers has already caused her trouble. Let's begin the countdown.

Will update about her LS quest, which she is by no means letting go of.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:23 pm

If this person is real, I've lost any respect I had for you for being friends with her.

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:If this person is real, I've lost any respect I had for you for being friends with her.

Very nice.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:This is fake as hell, but still a solid effort.If this person is real, I've lost any respect I had for you for being friends with her.

Fixt.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:54 pm

psh, obvious flame fulfills its essence.

WhoIsDonDraper

Re: Cooley or Hamline? (No trolling)

Postby WhoIsDonDraper » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote: It's like trying to explain tides to Bill O'Reilly.

I think Im a little late to the party on this quote but it's too hilarious to pass up.

"The tides! They go up, they go down, then they go back up again. That means God exists. Quot Erat Demonstrandum"
-Bill O'Reilly

androstan

Postby androstan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:25 am

Verity wrote:Bumped to update her job search.

SO,

The small PI firm didn't work out. She showed up on the wrong day for her interview, and got into a spat with the receptionist that was so loud a partner came out of his office to see what was going on. Graciously, he allowed her to fill out the application and sat and talked with her.

How did she fuck this one up? I'm pretty sure she flirted with him, after referring to this dude as a "sexy gringito." She has no sense of professionalism, which is evident the minute she walks into an interview wearing the tightest jeans imaginable. She has that wet, curly hairdo and wears provocative shirts that say "I know I'm fly, I'm [insert Puerto Rican flag]," and all that shit. But I guess it's kind of my fault, since I didn't mention attire when we were going over her resume. Should have known.

BUT,

She now has a job. Waitress at Joe's Crab Shack. Her temper with customers has already caused her trouble. Let's begin the countdown.

Will update about her LS quest, which she is by no means letting go of.

<3 you Verity for sharing your friend's journey with us. Please keep us updated, I need to know how this young, wandering soul turns out.

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:54 pm

I love her ironic coupling of words, like "that's unprofessional, bitch," or "with all due fucking respect."

By the way, Rico, her man, got arrested last week, and is out on bail (which she paid for). She is dying to represent him in court, since he'd be going pro se anyway.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:15 pm

Dude how do you put up with this girl's foolishness. I hope you're at least bangin this broad.

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:48 pm

dr123 wrote:Dude how do you put up with this girl's foolishness. I hope you're at least bangin this broad.

1. Click "profile."
2. View "gender."
3. Say, "my bad."

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Verity wrote:
dr123 wrote:Dude how do you put up with this girl's foolishness. I hope you're at least bangin this broad.

1. Click "profile."
2. View "gender."
3. Say, "my bad."

TBF, you could still be banging her...

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:55 pm

blowhard wrote:
Verity wrote:

1. Click "profile."
2. View "gender."
3. Say, "my bad."

TBF, you could still be banging her...

Disgustingly true.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:56 pm

I appreciate this thread. Keep up the good work.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:42 pm

Still my favorite thread on TLS. Thanks Verity!

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 pm

She's been all about Rico's case this week. He got into a fight outside a liquor store, busted some guy's nose, and now he's carping about the "system" being against the "La Raza."

So, we'll be picking out "courtroom attire" tomorrow at TJ Max. I figure this is a good opportunity to try and coach her a little. I'm definitely going to let her go to court with him. It might be an overdue wake up call.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:41 am

trol obvio es obvio

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:05 am

wiseowl wrote:trol obvio es obvio

Si.

What makes it obvious (aside from the increasingly outrageous storylines) is that there is no way anyone in veritys position would want to be friends with someone like this.

Verity

Postby Verity » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Si.

What makes it obvious (aside from the increasingly outrageous storylines) is that there is no way anyone in veritys position would want to be friends with someone like this.

You elitist cockboy! I've been her friend since I was like 7 years old. True, I can't help but laughing at some of the inane crap she gets into, but I'm not that arrogant to just dump/avoid her.

All of you, by the way, probably live pretty sheltered lives. Her situation, generally speaking, is not so unusual where we're from. Her mother is a recovering alcoholic, her father is who knows what/where, and she's neither had the education or luxuries that you all apparently have been given. I admit that this stuff is funny for us, but to just say that this can't happen or that people like this aren't worth being friends with is really snobbish.

Many of you who are planning on being lawyers need to realize that most of your clients might be just like this. Now would be a good time to start getting more down to earth.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:05 pm

Never had the education??? Really?? She has a fuckin college degree that puts her leaps and bounds ahead of your average wage earner

Eta she's also doesnt have children and is a young woman of presumably good health. All in all, she's in pretty good shape.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Where's the levity, Verity?

The_Guv

Postby The_Guv » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:00 am

Verity wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Si.

You elitist cockboy! I've been her friend since I was like 7 years old. True, I can't help but laughing at some of the inane crap she gets into, but I'm not that arrogant to just dump/avoid her.

All of you, by the way, probably live pretty sheltered lives. Her situation, generally speaking, is not so unusual where we're from. Her mother is a recovering alcoholic, her father is who knows what/where, and she's neither had the education or luxuries that you all apparently have been given. I admit that this stuff is funny for us, but to just say that this can't happen or that people like this aren't worth being friends with is really snobbish.

Many of you who are planning on being lawyers need to realize that most of your clients might be just like this. Now would be a good time to start getting more down to earth.

Given the content of this thread, you have a very odd definition of friendship.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:38 am

I get that the girl in all likelihood isn't real, but arguendo, have any of you had childhood friends that you grew up with? The privileged nature of the field is annoying as shit sometimes. This has nothing to do with Verity's real/imagined friend. There are the ones you are close to when you're young, and they are like family to you. I know there are a few friends of mine from when I was a kid that haven't turned out the greatest and I likely wouldn't care for in a vacuum, but I would never imagine leaving/stop talking to them. You guys are ridiculous.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:22 am

Verity wrote:You elitist cockboy! I've been her friend since I was like 7 years old. True, I can't help but laughing at some of the inane crap she gets into, but I'm not that arrogant to just dump/avoid her.

After 8 pages of pages, you have yet to offer up a single redeeming quality of this person you supposedly call a friend. You've done nothing but rip on your imaginary friend for TLS's amusement. My comment had nothing to do with snobbishness... I'm just going off of the picture you've painted for us, and you've painted one of a complete dipshit with no positive attributes. You're the one talking smack on this (non-existent) girl, and you're going to call me snobbish and elitist and sheltered? lolwut

Also, odds are that the vast majority of TLSers will not be representing clients like this. What a silly thing to say.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”