Rate my softs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
taxguy

Bronze

Re: Rate my softs

Post by taxguy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:43 am

Sorry, your softs are mediocre at best. Let me share my son's softs.

First, he is a CPA and garnered good scores for each part.
Second, he is a CFP
Third, he worked for the IRS and got an award for his work
Fourth: he worked for an accounting firm and was loved by the partners and got a very strong recommendation
Fifth: he is working on a book and has some chapters written
Sixth: He started a fraternity in college and was an officer
Seventh: He played intermural college sports and was on the Ultimate Frisbee team
Finally, despite completely bombing the GMAT he graduated valedictorian from a grad business program.

OH yes, he has a guaranteed job offer once he graduates from law school. Now in my opinion, these are GREAT soft factors.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:52 am

taxguy wrote:Sorry, your softs are mediocre at best. Let me share my son's softs.

Second, he is a CFP
Fourth: he worked for an accounting firm and was loved by the partners and got a very strong recommendation
Seventh: He played intermural college sports and was on the Ultimate Frisbee team
Finally, despite completely bombing the GMAT he graduated valedictorian from a grad business program.

OH yes, he has a guaranteed job offer once he graduates from law school. Now in my opinion, these are GREAT soft factors.

Haha... I would love to know what the book is about...

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:18 am

taxguy, whoa. I'm a cpa, trust me, that exam is not hard to pass and I seriously doubt it was considered that strong of a soft for where I was applying. Not even gonna get into how jokes the cfp cert is. I worked at a big four firm and again, for where I was applying, it wasn't that special. It was in consulting too. That said, for the schools op wants to go to, they are good softs, even if it's in the mail room. Like, he didn't say he wants to go to harvard man. Softs should be taken entirely in the context of where you're applying, but again, like I said earlier, his softs, and your sons, really are useless to know without the context of a completed last score as well. Op will get into a better school with a 172 (maybe even just a 170) and ed contract than your son will with a 167.

cool story taxguy, lol.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:21 am

taxguy wrote:Sorry, your softs are mediocre at best. Let me share my son's softs.

Second, he is a CFP

Are we going to turn this into a thread where we bag on other people's softs??
Because if we are, I'll just point out that its funny that you call OP's softs mediocre, and then you include your fifth, sixth, and seventh items.
Unless he was Captain of the intermural Ultimate Frisbee team. In that case, I'm completely incorrect.

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:22 am

There is NO WAY that a CPA is an easy test. Maybe you are some monster brain,but it isn't considered easy by any stretch of the imagination, and I am one who passed it on the first try too.

Every law school admission officer that I have talked to was impressed with it. However, the reason they liked it doesn't have anything to do with what you would think of. Passing the CPA means that the student could probably pass the bar,which is actually an easier test. Bar passing rates are VERY important to many law schools especially those not in the top tier.

Moreover, passing the CPA was just one of the items that I mentioned. It has to be put in context to the question post by the OP>

By the way, he was the captain of the team.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 am

taxguy wrote:There is NO WAY that a CPA is an easy test. Maybe you are some monster brain,but it isn't considered easy by any stretch of the imagination, and I am one who passed it on the first try too.

Every law school admission officer that I have talked to was impressed with it. However, the reason they liked it doesn't have anything to do with what you would think of. Passing the CPA means that the student could probably pass the bar,which is actually an easier test. Bar passing rates are VERY important to many law schools especially those not in the top tier.

Moreover, passing the CPA was just one of the items that I mentioned. It has to be put in context to the question post by the OP>

By the way, he was the captain of the team.
why is it you on this forum talking about your son instead of him? Why are you talking to adcomms instead of him? Someone needs to google 'cockpit parenting' and read a few articles, get enlightened and stuff.

schools always tell you softs are important. Than they get your app and flip straight to the lsat score first every single time.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:34 am

Mce252 wrote:

Second, he is a CFP

Haha... I would love to know what the book is about...
LOL intermural sports, starting a fraternity and "working" on a book. Considering those are all things a retarded chimpanzee could do, you should probably chill out with that. His work experience is certainly good but we all know that doesn't help much.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:40 am

I would like to apologize to op. I errantly assumed you had a dad like taxguy. I was wrong, lol.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:41 am

Your softs are worth three goats and a small parcel of land.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:47 am

taxguy wrote:Sorry, your softs are mediocre at best.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:55 am

taxguy wrote: By the way, he was the captain of the team.
This is awesome.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:58 am

AP-375 wrote:
taxguy wrote: By the way, he was the captain of the team.
This is awesome.
Ya, I thought your sarcasm was pretty easy to detect, guess not.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:04 pm

If taxguy is a flame, it's a job extremely well done.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:07 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:If taxguy is a flame, it's a job extremely well done.
He's been here for awhile and always posts in the low LSAT threads or softs threads . It's always about how extremely smart his son is and that he didn't do that well on the LSAT but schools will notice his W/E and take him anyways and that his son will kill law school and the LSAT is a stupid test that is non-predictive.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:14 pm

im rolling... txguy for flame of the year

Zach0901

New

Post by Zach0901 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Second, he is a CFP

First, Im glad your son has already found a line of work to support his father who trolls endlessly boasting about his sons accomplishments to reassure him that his shortcomings are negated by his sons success
Second, I have a certificate for being lifeguard of the week in high school
Third, I worked with the Ohio Investigative Unit at age 16 which is also a government agency as an extension of the NSA
Fourth, While at SSD I came "close" friends with Fred Nance, one of the finalists to be the NFL commissioner when Roger Goodell was voted in
Fifth, I once wrote a poem in high school that made it in the local newspaper
Sixth, I founded a study club and like I said I was an officer in two groups that werent dedicated to social activities or force-feeding women alcohol in hopes of get to lose my virginity
Seventh, I played on not 1 but 2 intramural teams!!!!!!!!! Soccer and basketball for what its worth
Finally, Im confident I couldve graduated valedvictorian at my community colleges business school as well considering Im enrolled in the 16th best undergrad business program in the country

I hope Ive made my point clear that I think your son has some valid accomplishments and some that dont deserve pictures on your refrigerator, and as a father I think youve failed miserably. I hope your son is successful in law school and does well at his guaranteed job at the DA's office when he graduates

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Zach0901 wrote:

Second, he is a CFP

First, Im glad your son has already found a line of work to support his father who trolls endlessly boasting about his sons accomplishments to reassure him that his shortcomings are negated by his sons success
Second, I have a certificate for being lifeguard of the week in high school
Third, I worked with the Ohio Investigative Unit at age 16 which is also a government agency as an extension of the NSA
Fourth, While at SSD I came "close" friends with Fred Nance, one of the finalists to be the NFL commissioner when Roger Goodell was voted in
Fifth, I once wrote a poem in high school that made it in the local newspaper
Sixth, I founded a study club and like I said I was an officer in two groups that werent dedicated to social activities or force-feeding women alcohol in hopes of get to lose my virginity
Seventh, I played on not 1 but 2 intramural teams!!!!!!!!! Soccer and basketball for what its worth
Finally, Im confident I couldve graduated valedvictorian at my community colleges business school as well considering Im enrolled in the 16th best undergrad business program in the country

I hope Ive made my point clear that I think your son has some valid accomplishments and some that dont deserve pictures on your refrigerator, and as a father I think youve failed miserably. I hope your son is successful in law school and does well at his guaranteed job at the DA's office when he graduates
whatever, narc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:26 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:
parsi wrote:
Zach0901 wrote: How did I get my internships?
When I was in high school I worked with the Ohio Investigative Unit as one of those people who attempts to purchase cigarettes while underage and then alcohol after I turned 18 but before I turned 21
F(@kin narc. Gtfo

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:02 pm

bartleby wrote:
predent/prelaw wrote:
parsi wrote:
When I was in high school I worked with the Ohio Investigative Unit as one of those people who attempts to purchase cigarettes while underage and then alcohol after I turned 18 but before I turned 21
F(@kin narc. Gtfo
Anyone remember a thread a long time back about a guy writing an adendum because his roomate moved in the day after the op threw a party and he reported the op because of a little pipe with weed in it?

I think we have found the roommate

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:06 pm

I remember that. What a tool.

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:27 pm

As I said in a prior post, I will note how well my son's soft factors helped in admission. I honestly don't think that they will have any affect,but I could be in error. If he doesn't get in anywhere with his lower LSAT, it should put to rest the constant posts about soft factors in admission.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chants

Bronze

Post by Chants » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:41 pm

Second, he is a CFP

This is pure gold.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Zach0901 wrote:
taxguy wrote:Seventh: He played intermural college sports and was on the Ultimate Frisbee team
Intramural basketball is like, in the Top 2 of intramural sports. UlTTTimate Frisbee is TTT.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:14 pm

parsi wrote:
Fuckin narc. Gtfo
yea, dude wtf people like you fuckin suck

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”