Big numbers...yield protect?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
secretad
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Big numbers...yield protect?

Postby secretad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:24 pm

I see a lot of posts from people on here that were rejected from schools that they had better than 75th percentile numbers. This is probably explained by yp on the part of the schools. My question is if you really want to go to that school how can you get in when they will just reject you?

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Big numbers...yield protect?

Postby duckmoney » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Write a meaningful "Why X" addendum to your application or apply early decision. Let them know that you would actually attend their school. Although if you're in danger of yield protect there's a very a good chance you're better off being somewhere else anyway.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Big numbers...yield protect?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:32 pm

secretad wrote:I see a lot of posts from people on here that were rejected from schools that they had better than 75th percentile numbers. This is probably explained by yp on the part of the schools. My question is if you really want to go to that school how can you get in when they will just reject you?


It's more typical for schools who yp to WL someone rather than straight reject them. A convincing LOCI can let the school know you actually do want to attend, and they're just not a safety. Most schools really don't do this though. And I imagine if a person really, really wanted to go to that school, all he or she would have to do is let the school know that they are his or her top choice school.

User avatar
ajcollege
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Big numbers...yield protect?

Postby ajcollege » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:41 pm

duckmoney wrote:Write a meaningful "Why X" addendum to your application or apply early decision. Let them know that you would actually attend their school. Although if you're in danger of yield protect there's a very a good chance you're better off being somewhere else anyway.


TINTCR. If you're 75%+ on both and you really want to go to a school, use "Why X" addenda and LOCI to possibly get $$$. Don't destroy possible leverage applying ED.

(Duckmoney did allude to this, but I am reiterating with force.)

secretad
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Big numbers...yield protect?

Postby secretad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Would doing early decision at such a school ruin scholarship opportunities even though I am above 75th percentiles. I have never understood why ed people have to worry about being screwed out of legitimate scholarships just because they did ed.

Sam Seaborn
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Big numbers...yield protect?

Postby Sam Seaborn » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:03 pm

secretad wrote:Would doing early decision at such a school ruin scholarship opportunities even though I am above 75th percentiles. I have never understood why ed people have to worry about being screwed out of legitimate scholarships just because they did ed.


Why would they give you a scholly if you are forced to attend upon acceptance? To the school you're a fish that has already been caught, why waste bait that could land another fish?

User avatar
fastforward
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Re: Big numbers...yield protect?

Postby fastforward » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Law schools freely admit they use scholarship awards to attract high LSAT/GPA applicants, and thus boost their UNSWR rankings, according to a study partly funded by LSAC. We wrote a a blog post about YP recently that explains YP in detail:--LinkRemoved-- You lose your bargaining position for a scholarship by applying ED. Instead, start collecting scholarship offers from peer schools that do not engage in yield protection. Then, write a LOCI expressing that School X is your first choice and you would accept an offer of admission if you could justify it financially. This strategy is often met with an offer of acceptance and a generous scholarship offer.

This year, Michigan waitlisted a significant number of applicants with LSAT and GPAs both above their 75th percentile. If anyone has an explanation other than YP, I'd love to hear it. I would exclude a "holistic" process as an explanation as well; it's doubtful Michigan found defects in applications that garnered Rubensteins, Hamiltons, and offers of admission to YHS. Those with high numbers who escaped the late-Feb Michigan waitlist appear to be those who applied quite early in the cycle.

secretad
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Big numbers...yield protect?

Postby secretad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:09 pm

At what point is it not worth paying full price by ed'ing. Are we talking top 5, 10, 14? Or is it ever justified. Would it be better to go to a top 40 school half ride than full price at a top 14 school?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Big numbers...yield protect?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:10 pm

secretad wrote:At what point is it not worth paying full price by ed'ing. Are we talking top 5, 10, 14? Or is it ever justified. Would it be better to go to a top 40 school half ride than full price at a top 14 school?

Depends on personal preference. But a top school can be the difference in seven figures of future earnings.

User avatar
fastforward
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Re: Big numbers...yield protect?

Postby fastforward » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Take some time to search the threads on this site. This is one of the most-discussed issues in the forums and you'll find a variety of points of view.

The point is, why pay sticker when, with some savvy about the process, you could get a scholarship?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests