not receiving masters in aug, will schools rescind?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
therulersback
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:42 pm

not receiving masters in aug, will schools rescind?

Postby therulersback » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Didn't see this in the search results. Without getting into too far into detail, it looked like I was going to complete my masters by the end of the summer. But now it's not going to happen. Will any of the schools I've been accepted to rescind their offers? (I haven't put a deposit anywhere yet)

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: not receiving masters in aug, will schools rescind?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Unless admission to a particular law school was conditional upon completion of your masters degree work, it should not affect your offers of admission as a masters degree, unlike a bachelors degree, is not a requirement for admission to law school.

therulersback
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Re: not receiving masters in aug, will schools rescind?

Postby therulersback » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Unless admission to a particular law school was conditional upon completion of your masters degree work, it should not affect your offers of admission as a masters degree, unlike a bachelors degree, is not a requirement for admission to law school.


Gotcha. I was a little nervous because I had it listed in the education section of all my apps, but that's great to hear. Thanks!

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: not receiving masters in aug, will schools rescind?

Postby esq » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:11 pm

therulersback wrote:Gotcha. I was a little nervous because I had it listed in the education section of all my apps, but that's great to hear. Thanks!

As far as admissions to the bar, though, it might come up again when they compare what you submitted to your law school to what you submitted to them. You listed it as completed?

fakemoney
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: not receiving masters in aug, will schools rescind?

Postby fakemoney » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:29 pm

If you said you were gonna get a Masters by the end of the summer and put it on your apps, you should email all the schools you applied to and update them on the situation. It's not going to kill you in all likelihood, unless you made the Masters study a major focus in your application. Even then, I think you're alright as long as there's a decent explanation.

therulersback
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Re: not receiving masters in aug, will schools rescind?

Postby therulersback » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:37 am

esq wrote:
therulersback wrote:Gotcha. I was a little nervous because I had it listed in the education section of all my apps, but that's great to hear. Thanks!

As far as admissions to the bar, though, it might come up again when they compare what you submitted to your law school to what you submitted to them. You listed it as completed?


i listed the expected degree date as 08/11

fakemoney wrote:If you said you were gonna get a Masters by the end of the summer and put it on your apps, you should email all the schools you applied to and update them on the situation. It's not going to kill you in all likelihood, unless you made the Masters study a major focus in your application. Even then, I think you're alright as long as there's a decent explanation.


it was a big part of my personal statement. i guess i'm going to have to notify schools sooner or later...i was planning on doing so in the early summer after i've already made up my mind on where i want to go/have my first deposit in. thoughts?

le_taon
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: not receiving masters in aug, will schools rescind?

Postby le_taon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:31 am

this happened to me (although I'm not sure what exactly I put about an expected date).

anyway, before i matriculated, the school asked me for my transcripts and it was clear from the grad school one that I hadn't finished. hasn't been an issue.

fakemoney
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: not receiving masters in aug, will schools rescind?

Postby fakemoney » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:17 am

therulersback wrote:
esq wrote:
therulersback wrote:Gotcha. I was a little nervous because I had it listed in the education section of all my apps, but that's great to hear. Thanks!

As far as admissions to the bar, though, it might come up again when they compare what you submitted to your law school to what you submitted to them. You listed it as completed?


i listed the expected degree date as 08/11

fakemoney wrote:If you said you were gonna get a Masters by the end of the summer and put it on your apps, you should email all the schools you applied to and update them on the situation. It's not going to kill you in all likelihood, unless you made the Masters study a major focus in your application. Even then, I think you're alright as long as there's a decent explanation.


it was a big part of my personal statement. i guess i'm going to have to notify schools sooner or later...i was planning on doing so in the early summer after i've already made up my mind on where i want to go/have my first deposit in. thoughts?


Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to delay. I would notify all schools ASAP. The longer you take to disclose this, the worse it looks.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests