Are these good softs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Patriot1208

Re: Are these good softs?

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:31 pm

esq wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
esq wrote:No, everyone will have a 3.5.

LOL, not true.

That said, I agree with everyone else. I had decent (and interesting) post-grad work experience, I worked full-time in college, I speak another language, I graduated early...and I don't think any of this affected my cycle one bit.

3.5+, I'm sorry that you were confused.

You obviously haven't met half of the class at NU or UVA. I'm fairly certain 49% of the class at NU has lower than a 3.3

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
esq wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
esq wrote:No, everyone will have a 3.5.

LOL, not true.

That said, I agree with everyone else. I had decent (and interesting) post-grad work experience, I worked full-time in college, I speak another language, I graduated early...and I don't think any of this affected my cycle one bit.

3.5+, I'm sorry that you were confused.

You obviously haven't met half of the class at NU or UVA. I'm fairly certain 49% of the class at NU has lower than a 3.3

At least most of the cool ones do.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:34 pm

apparently law schools are filled with rhodes scholars and medal of honor recipients.

who knew?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:35 pm

dkt4 wrote:apparently law schools are filled with rhodes scholars and medal of honor recipients.

who knew?

actually tls convinced me not to apply to law school at all, since i only have a purple heart.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Those are actually pretty average softs, to be completely honest. None of them show important traits like leadership skills, creativity, or drive, and these are the main things adcomms are looking for in your softs.

Also, having softs that send a unified message with the rest of your app is probably also a plus too, but I don't see a unified message amongst yours.

It's ok though. You have tons of time left... use it wisely, preferably on getting a good GPA+LSAT score.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:43 pm

fatduck wrote:
dkt4 wrote:apparently law schools are filled with rhodes scholars and medal of honor recipients.

who knew?

actually tls convinced me not to apply to law school at all, since i only have a purple heart.

The only people I can think of right now with T14 softs are GWB and maybe Barack Obama (adcomms like to see at least 2 terms)

anti-phronimos

Postby anti-phronimos » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Hey OP, do you go to Saint Louis University? Not that I know you or anything, but your description sounds an awful lot like SLU's pre law program and Habitat for Humanity is right across the street, etc.

If so, I have some advice for you: get the fuck out of there, they are scamming you hardcore.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
fatduck wrote:

who knew?

The only people I can think of right now with T14 softs are GWB and maybe Barack Obama (adcomms like to see at least 2 terms)

Obama might have a shot at Georgetown. They love in-state applicants.

dkt4

Postby dkt4 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:49 pm

i've decided to not attend law school next year in order to work on my softs.

anti-phronimos

Postby anti-phronimos » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Oh sweet Jesus, you do go to SLU. [After reading your posts]

If you want any good and concrete advice on how to go through college and get into law school, then seriously consider these words: Get out of the Pre Law Scholars Program. It will ruin your GPA and it won't help you get into law school. It's not a soft, it's a vice--the administration is laughing at you, seriously. They're trying to make it so that your only option is SLU Law, which is a TTT unless you're hell-bent on working in Saint Louis shitlaw for your entire life.

Go do your English Major, get laid, have fun and grab that 4.0 that SLU will throw at you for simply showing up to class.

esq

Postby esq » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:You obviously haven't met half of the class at NU or UVA. I'm fairly certain 49% of the class at NU has lower than a 3.3

Guess I haven't met half the class at NU or UVA. Looks like you can shoot for less than a 3.5 OP. :wink:

(For the record, UVA's 25th: 3.51. NU's: 3.4. Those are the lowest in the T12, which does at least underscore what Patriot was trying to say.)

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:48 pm

esq wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:You obviously haven't met half of the class at NU or UVA. I'm fairly certain 49% of the class at NU has lower than a 3.3

Guess I haven't met half the class at NU or UVA. Looks like you can shoot for less than a 3.5 OP. :wink:

(For the record, UVA's 25th: 3.51. NU's: 3.4. Those are the lowest in the T12, which does at least underscore what Patriot was trying to say.)

I can think of 3-4 people off the top of my head who have UG GPAs that start with a 2. Not that OP shouldn't shoot for the highest GPA possible, but my point was that saying everyone has >3.5 is ridiculous.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:30 pm

No, not really

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”