Canadian Undergrad Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JSC4

New

Canadian Undergrad

Post by JSC4 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:04 pm

Hey, I am currently a student at Wilfrid Laurier University in Ontario Canada and was wondering how much my undergraduate school will impact my admission to Law School. Laurier is not known as a really premier institution across the world, however, it does have one of the best business programs in Canada. So my question is, do I have a strong shot at HYS?
Will I be at a significant disadvantage to those coming from more known US schools (Chicago, texas NYU etc)?

I am currently in second year and my first year average was 91%. I believe I can keep this up (+/- 2%) and already have a summer position lined up as a Financial Analyst for one of the Big 5 Canadian Banks.

Of course, I do understand the importance of the LSAT, but based on my school and my marks right now, do I have a shot?

kovolev

New

Re: Canadian Undergrad

Post by kovolev » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:00 pm

I can't speak about the T14 schools, but I'm a Canadian who is just finishing up at UWO and the places I applied to in the top 30 seemed to like me more than some other people with similar #'s, accepting me when people who outscored me got denied. Maybe I underestimated the value of my soft factors, but as far as I have observed we either get bonus points for pseudo-diversity or are pretty much exactly equal.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:41 pm

We are equal...went to McGill and I have had a cycle pretty much as expected

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:16 am

If 91% = An A- average, then sure you do AS LONG AS YOUR LSAT ROCKS. Jeesh, depending on your LSAT you could end up anywhere from Yale to Cooley with those grades and that undergrad. Internalize the all consuming importance of the test.

kovolev

New

Post by kovolev » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 pm

In Canada a 90+ = 4.0 usually

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:31 pm

kovolev wrote:In Canada a 90+ = 4.0 usually
Ok, well I guess you may be able to avoid cooley then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”