Is UCLA notoriously slow?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ArthurDigbySellers

Re: Is UCLA notoriously slow?

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:35 pm

apple1234 wrote:
chasgoose wrote:I still haven't heard anything and I applied in the beginning of January. 3.5/177, CA resident, wrote extra essay, visited the school. Crickets.

+1 and we have the same complete date.... I'm a stalker, sorry.

Have you noticed that there were a bunch of people who were also 1/7 complete that were rejected on 3/16 - 3/18 and WL on 3/11? What does it all mean??? :oops: :oops:

It means the law school admissions process is an extension of MK Ultra

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:54 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:I'm sure he's just busy. Whats the dude's email anyway?

schwartzr@law.ucla.edu

The assistant dean for admissions, Robert Schwartz.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:46 pm

I wouldn't Rory, the guy's probably extremely busy. Anyway, I like to think that the contact shows interest as opposed to being obnoxious.

From the interview with the guy, they seem to welcome LOCI's, but says they should be directed to the general address...I think I might send a general email instead of him directly. Hey, could be a good sign if they had you email him!

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:42 pm

They just need to accept me or reject me at this point -- or at least reply to my Goddamn email!

gochrisgo

Postby gochrisgo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:01 am

parsi wrote:
parsi wrote:
parsi wrote:
gochrisgo wrote:I applied in November (169, 3.8) last cycle. I didn't hear anything forever. Finally, I called them in April and said, "Just want to check up on my app - I haven't heard anything."

About 36 hours passed and I got an email and a phone call telling me I was in. I eventually got an email telling me I had a scholly for $60k. I'm not sure if they forgot about me or wanted to make sure I wanted to come. UCLA is badass -- their student day thing was cool.

So yes, in my case it seemed like they were really slow. Also, I remember that happening a lot last year. I don't know wtf the other guys are talking about with saying that "they're super fast all the time" or whatever. Didn't seem to be true last year, anyhow.

GL bro.

Off your advice I decided to call ucla and they were of no help

well not over the phone, but she did tell me to just email the associate dean.

i bet if i do he will be on top of it asap

Update: I went ahead and emailed the dean...he emailed me back the same day saying I was in :)

Hell yeah, friend. Nice work and congrats. Is there an ASW coming up that you'll be heading off to?

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:55 pm

Anyone who wasn't explicitly told to email the dean going to do it anyway?

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:55 pm

It's been 2 months and I haven't received a notification yet stating my application is even complete. I'm probably going to withdraw my application soon, once I stop being lazy.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:00 pm

When you called UCLA, Parsi an rory-did you give them your name or did they just say to email the dean without that info?

parsi

Postby parsi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:13 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:When you called UCLA, Parsi an rory-did you give them your name or did they just say to email the dean without that info?

Just email the dean without any info...not even his email address.

@gochrisgo

The admitted students day is on sunday april, 10. I am considering going as its the closest law school to me and I havent been to any yet. What about you?

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:18 pm

parsi wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:When you called UCLA, Parsi an rory-did you give them your name or did they just say to email the dean without that info?

Wait what? Are you trolling me or something?

parsi

Postby parsi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:33 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
parsi wrote:

im sorry i was on my phone and was not writing concretely enough

they did not ask for my name. she basically brushed me off on the phone and told me to just email the dean. she did not give me any other info, not even his email address

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:40 pm

parsi wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
parsi wrote:

im sorry i was on my phone and was not writing concretely enough

they did not ask for my name. she basically brushed me off on the phone and told me to just email the dean. she did not give me any other info, not even his email address

Oh! Thanks man. Lol I thought it was sarcasm.

LiveFreeOrLaw

Postby LiveFreeOrLaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:27 pm

I am not convinced that LOCI really helps. It may help some auto admit numbers whom UCLA isn't sure will really attend, but UCLA knows median to below median ppl would take UCLA at a heartbeat.

Just don't be annoying and be patient. I sent 1 LOCI back in Feb and haven't sent one since.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:37 pm

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:I am not convinced that LOCI really helps. It may help some auto admit numbers whom UCLA isn't sure will really attend, but UCLA knows median to below median ppl would take UCLA at a heartbeat.

Just don't be annoying and be patient. I sent 1 LOCI back in Feb and haven't sent one since.

I'm highly confused, because my numbers are very, very close to yours, and they got back to me in like, four weeks or something with a pile of cash. The phone call surprised the hell out of me, I was blaring techno music and had to ask him to repeat the entire first part of what he said.

I'd just harass the shit out of them if you actually want to know. It's kinda getting to the point where if they want you... they have to do something.

LiveFreeOrLaw

Postby LiveFreeOrLaw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:38 am

ahduth wrote:
LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:I am not convinced that LOCI really helps. It may help some auto admit numbers whom UCLA isn't sure will really attend, but UCLA knows median to below median ppl would take UCLA at a heartbeat.

I'm highly confused, because my numbers are very, very close to yours, and they got back to me in like, four weeks or something with a pile of cash. The phone call surprised the hell out of me, I was blaring techno music and had to ask him to repeat the entire first part of what he said.

I'd just harass the shit out of them if you actually want to know. It's kinda getting to the point where if they want you... they have to do something.

If you look in the UCLA acceptance/deny section, there are at least 3 like me who are still in review. (btw my #s are fudged up a bit)

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:08 am

ahduth wrote:

Might just harass them. Three rejections in a row and I can't have any more goddamned applications hanging over me. It's killing me. It's really, really killing me. I have friends who have gotten into their #1s and my schools are still waging psychological warfare with me. Beating me down I tell you...

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Still hasn't replied to my email... :evil:

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:40 pm

I'm actually starting to get pissed -- at least give me a reply or something and don't just ignore me. Most other deans and admissions people have gotten back to me within 24 hours.

fatedreality

Postby fatedreality » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Rory1987 wrote:I'm actually starting to get pissed -- at least give me a reply or something and don't just ignore me. Most other deans and admissions people have gotten back to me within 24 hours.

Did you just email the Dean or include the general Admissions email too? You might have better luck getting a confirmation at least by emailing admissions. I emailed them my LOCI yesterday morning and got a confirmation reply 2 hrs later saying it would be added to my file for review.

LiveFreeOrLaw

Postby LiveFreeOrLaw » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Rory1987 wrote:I'm actually starting to get pissed -- at least give me a reply or something and don't just ignore me. Most other deans and admissions people have gotten back to me within 24 hours.

Then it's time to learn that UCLA adcoms and their assistants are not your parents.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”