Is UCLA notoriously slow? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NZA

Silver

Re: Is UCLA notoriously slow?

Post by NZA » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:22 am

OP, I'm in your shoes. Slightly lower GPA, but I submitted/went complete in early December.

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:26 am

NZA wrote:OP, I'm in your shoes. Slightly lower GPA, but I submitted/went complete in early December.
Have you heard back from all your other schools yet? I've heard back from most, save my reaches...and UCLA, which was a target. I've even got money from some T14s, and would happily consider UCLA over them if they let me in and threw a little money my way. I just don't get it. Vandy and Texas got back to me in a few weeks and threw money at me and UCLA just seems to be leaving me hanging :(

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:29 am

Rory1987 wrote:
NZA wrote:OP, I'm in your shoes. Slightly lower GPA, but I submitted/went complete in early December.
Have you heard back from all your other schools yet? I've heard back from most, save my reaches...and UCLA, which was a target. I've even got money from some T14s, and would happily consider UCLA over them if they let me in and threw a little money my way. I just don't get it. Vandy and Texas got back to me in a few weeks and threw money at me and UCLA just seems to be leaving me hanging :(
Yeah, UCLA is my last school. Considering the fact, though, that unless they threw me some gyroball/miracle pitch scholarship, I'm not going there, I don't care all that much.

I'm just surprised they are taking so long. I'm above both medians, WC resident, etc. C'est la vie, I guess.

Are you a Californian looking to stay there? Or are you a non-native looking to move West?

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:31 am

NZA wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:
Yeah, UCLA is my last school. Considering the fact, though, that unless they threw me some gyroball/miracle pitch scholarship, I'm not going there, I don't care all that much.

I'm just surprised they are taking so long. I'm above both medians, WC resident, etc. C'est la vie, I guess.

A non-native.

Are you a Californian looking to stay there? Or are you a non-native looking to move West?

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:34 am

NZA wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:

Do you think they prefer "natives" so non-natives like myself are at a disadvantage?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:36 am

Rory1987 wrote:
NZA wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:

Do you think they prefer "natives" so non-natives like myself are at a disadvantage?
Honest to God, I don't have a clue. It is a state school, after all, but I'm not sure if it's as bad as UVa is supposed to be. :?

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:06 am

Are you a Californian looking to stay there? Or are you a non-native looking to move West?[/quote]

Do you think they prefer "natives" so non-natives like myself are at a disadvantage?[/quote]
Honest to God, I don't have a clue. It is a state school, after all, but I'm not sure if it's as bad as UVa is supposed to be. :?[/quote]

So is Texas -- and they let me in in a heartbeat and gave me a bunch of money! Plus, they have a defined 65% in-state quota -- which UCLA doesn't seem to have.

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:00 pm

gochrisgo wrote:I applied in November (169, 3.8) last cycle. I didn't hear anything forever. Finally, I called them in April and said, "Just want to check up on my app - I haven't heard anything."

About 36 hours passed and I got an email and a phone call telling me I was in. I eventually got an email telling me I had a scholly for $60k. I'm not sure if they forgot about me or wanted to make sure I wanted to come. UCLA is badass -- their student day thing was cool.

So yes, in my case it seemed like they were really slow. Also, I remember that happening a lot last year. I don't know wtf the other guys are talking about with saying that "they're super fast all the time" or whatever. Didn't seem to be true last year, anyhow.

GL bro.
Off your advice I decided to call ucla and they were of no help

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:21 pm

parsi wrote:
gochrisgo wrote:I applied in November (169, 3.8) last cycle. I didn't hear anything forever. Finally, I called them in April and said, "Just want to check up on my app - I haven't heard anything."

About 36 hours passed and I got an email and a phone call telling me I was in. I eventually got an email telling me I had a scholly for $60k. I'm not sure if they forgot about me or wanted to make sure I wanted to come. UCLA is badass -- their student day thing was cool.

So yes, in my case it seemed like they were really slow. Also, I remember that happening a lot last year. I don't know wtf the other guys are talking about with saying that "they're super fast all the time" or whatever. Didn't seem to be true last year, anyhow.

GL bro.
Nothing from them?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:12 pm

I also saw that in the recent NLJ 250 numbers that were released last month that UCLA placed 35% into BigLaw -- not too shabby in this hiring climate. I was impressed.

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:45 pm

Rory1987 wrote:
parsi wrote:

GL bro.
Nothing from them?
well not over the phone, but she did tell me to just email the associate dean.

i bet if i do he will be on top of it asap

meno22

New

Post by meno22 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:05 pm

I applied over 4 months ago and hadn't heard back so I emailed the admissions dean this morning and a couple hours later he called me and told me I was in. So I'd recommend hitting him up.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:They're notoriously variable in how long it takes them to make a decision. It took them a little over 2 months to admit me, when people with my same numbers getting a decision in two weeks or taking even longer than me.
+1

UCLA can get back to you at a decent rate or can take forever. They aren't truly "notorious" because they aren't like Cornell which takes forever with all non-EA students.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:49 pm

I still haven't heard anything and I applied in the beginning of January. 3.5/177, CA resident, wrote extra essay, visited the school. Crickets.

apple1234

New

Post by apple1234 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 pm

chasgoose wrote:I still haven't heard anything and I applied in the beginning of January. 3.5/177, CA resident, wrote extra essay, visited the school. Crickets.
+1 and we have the same complete date.... I'm a stalker, sorry.

Have you noticed that there were a bunch of people who were also 1/7 complete that were rejected on 3/16 - 3/18 and WL on 3/11? What does it all mean??? :oops: :oops:

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:14 pm

I know for a fact that Texas and Virginia have pretty strict and unambiguous out of state quotas, but plenty of state schools don't. I've searched high and low and no sign of any of the UC's having a minimum percentage of in-staters they need to take. If anything, I would imagine that they'd PREFER out of staters. Taking someone who has ties to NY or FL and who possibly returns to that region would allow them to claim to be a more national school

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15 pm

I'm 1/24 complete. I don't know if that means anything good or bad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:16 pm

I just withdrew before they could waitlist me. :lol:

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:01 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:They're notoriously variable in how long it takes them to make a decision. It took them a little over 2 months to admit me, when people with my same numbers getting a decision in two weeks or taking even longer than me.
+1

UCLA can get back to you at a decent rate or can take forever. They aren't truly "notorious" because they aren't like Cornell which takes forever with all non-EA students.
+1 UCLA wait listed me in about 6 weeks. Now Cornell on the other hand...... Forever!

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:40 am

parsi wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:
parsi wrote:

GL bro.
Nothing from them?
well not over the phone, but she did tell me to just email the associate dean.

i bet if i do he will be on top of it asap
Update: I went ahead and emailed the dean...he emailed me back the same day saying I was in :)

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:27 pm

I emailed the Dean yesterday afternoon (eastern time) and I still have to hear back from him. I'm guessing this isn't a good sign :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Man you must've gotten more helpful people than I did. I was just told that all decisions would be out by the end of April, didn't even ask for my name. Debating whether I should call again later and hope for a different person, email the Dean of admissions directly, or just do nothing,

apple1234

New

Post by apple1234 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:09 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Man you must've gotten more helpful people than I did. I was just told that all decisions would be out by the end of April, didn't even ask for my name. Debating whether I should call again later and hope for a different person, email the Dean of admissions directly, or just do nothing,
+1

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:27 pm

It's been 24 hours since I emailed him; I'm starting to get anxious.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm sure he's just busy. Whats the dude's email anyway?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”