Is UCLA notoriously slow? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rory1987

Bronze

Is UCLA notoriously slow?

Post by Rory1987 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:21 am

I'm a 169 and 3.9+ guy and I still haven't heard back from them despite applying last year :evil:

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Is UCLA notoriously slow?

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:24 am

Are you sure that your application is complete ? Have you called & asked admissions about the status of your application ?

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:33 am

I'm a socal resident that applied on 12/22..3.9/171. I'm still waiting too

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:00 pm

Yeah, I'm complete :evil:

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Hm...

I hate to be the one to break it to you guys, but no, they are not notoriously slow. I got my decision from them back in January, exactly two weeks from the day I submitted. Scholarship offer included. I was definitely not an auto-admit, either, imo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:07 pm

jrose5 wrote:Hm...

I hate to be the one to break it to you guys, but no, they are not notoriously slow. I got my decision from them back in January, exactly two weeks from the day I submitted. Scholarship offer included. I was definitely not an auto-admit, either, imo.
:cry:

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:08 pm

They're notoriously variable in how long it takes them to make a decision. It took them a little over 2 months to admit me, when people with my same numbers getting a decision in two weeks or taking even longer than me.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Applied in January and I've already gotten a decision, scholarship, and financial aid package.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Check lawschoolnumbers.com

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:14 pm

I have similar numbers and was waitlisted. I think they were considering offering you a financial aid package if some people declined so they are waiting for people to withdraw first. It sucks from me because I tried to withdraw my application because I was accepted somewhere but still managed to get a waitlist on my cycle.

Edit: Haha, according to UCLA's LSN I'll be the one WL in a row of accept but there it also looks like many apps haven't received decisions. I'm from the East Coast so it could also be because I never made it clear in my app that I had a genuine interest in going to school somewhere different.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:17 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I have similar numbers and was waitlisted. I think they were considering offering you a financial aid package if some people declined so they are waiting for people to withdraw first. It sucks from me because I tried to withdraw my application because I was accepted somewhere but still managed to get a waitlist on my cycle.
Really? Why not just admit me and send money later?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Rory1987 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I have similar numbers and was waitlisted. I think they were considering offering you a financial aid package if some people declined so they are waiting for people to withdraw first. It sucks from me because I tried to withdraw my application because I was accepted somewhere but still managed to get a waitlist on my cycle.
Maybe selectivity? IDK. I'm surprised I wasn't accepted so that might be why especially if you are aren't from the West Coast. They probably figure you have other options that you might choose first if you didn't specify a desire to go to school in California or LA. If you don't get money you also might jump on another school that does so they might want to wait to see what they can offer.

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:32 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:
Maybe selectivity? IDK. I'm surprised I wasn't accepted so that might be why especially if you are aren't from the West Coast. They probably figure you have other options that you might choose first if you didn't specify a desire to go to school in California or LA. If you don't get money you also might jump on another school that does so they might want to wait to see what they can offer.
I guess I should write a LOCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:56 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I tried to withdraw my application because I was accepted somewhere but still managed to get a waitlist on my cycle.
damn that's gonna hurt you at OCI

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:08 pm

jrose5 wrote:Hm...

Meh, you can't draw that conclusion from your own personal experience. I've been accepted in 3 weeks at places friends with similar stats are still in review at.

Anyway, I think what makes UCLA seem slow is that, while the law school admissions is just an all-around black box--it feels even more opaque and impenetrable without a status checker. I know I've been complete for the longest time, but I have no idea if I've gotten any review dates, and I can't speculate with other applicants about what our different review/DF dates mean. Status checkers just waste my time in that I compulsively check them and agonize over them, but sometimes I wish UCLA had a status checker so I could just keep track a little more closely...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:12 pm

fatduck wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I tried to withdraw my application because I was accepted somewhere but still managed to get a waitlist on my cycle.
damn that's gonna hurt you at OCI
:lol: well I applied ED and was done in November. Here I was thinking thinking my cycle has been over for 3 months then I get a email from UCLA saying I was put on the waitlist. Checking my old emails, I never did get a confirmation from them about my withdrawal. Now I'm wondering whether to tell my school that I must have not withdrawn from one school.

gochrisgo

Bronze

Post by gochrisgo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:14 pm

I applied in November (169, 3.8) last cycle. I didn't hear anything forever. Finally, I called them in April and said, "Just want to check up on my app - I haven't heard anything."

About 36 hours passed and I got an email and a phone call telling me I was in. I eventually got an email telling me I had a scholly for $60k. I'm not sure if they forgot about me or wanted to make sure I wanted to come. UCLA is badass -- their student day thing was cool.

So yes, in my case it seemed like they were really slow. Also, I remember that happening a lot last year. I don't know wtf the other guys are talking about with saying that "they're super fast all the time" or whatever. Didn't seem to be true last year, anyhow.

GL bro.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:45 pm

parsi wrote:I'm a socal resident that applied on 12/22..3.9/171. I'm still waiting too
I assume, since I didn't include any sort of why ucla info or anything, that I am going to get waitlisted due to YP

However, I might follow gochrisgo's advice and call them next week to see if they can push thru an acceptance and scholarship

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 pm

gochrisgo wrote:I applied in November (169, 3.8) last cycle. I didn't hear anything forever. Finally, I called them in April and said, "Just want to check up on my app - I haven't heard anything."

About 36 hours passed and I got an email and a phone call telling me I was in. I eventually got an email telling me I had a scholly for $60k. I'm not sure if they forgot about me or wanted to make sure I wanted to come. UCLA is badass -- their student day thing was cool.

So yes, in my case it seemed like they were really slow. Also, I remember that happening a lot last year. I don't know wtf the other guys are talking about with saying that "they're super fast all the time" or whatever. Didn't seem to be true last year, anyhow.

GL bro.
I'm tempted to call up UCLA and ask about the status of my application, in the hopes that they'll immediately tell me that I'm in with a full ride. I know a phone call is not going to get me in, but I can dream...

huckster

New

Post by huckster » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:34 pm

I applied in November (167/3.85) and two weeks later met Dean Schwartz at a law school forum. When I asked him about the turnaround time for a decision, he had me email him so that he could take a look at my app. I received a call with an acceptance two days later. IMO, making contact with UCLA admissions and showing interest seems to help.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:29 pm

huckster wrote:I applied in November (167/3.85) and two weeks later met Dean Schwartz at a law school forum. When I asked him about the turnaround time for a decision, he had me email him so that he could take a look at my app. I received a call with an acceptance two days later. IMO, making contact with UCLA admissions and showing interest seems to help.
Oh what the hell maybe I will call them. Guess it couldn't hurt. I'm just trying to figure out how to email/call them without sounding like a pain in the ass.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:52 pm

They just need to let me in! They'd be one of my top choices.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Rory1987 wrote:They just need to let me in! They'd be one of my top choices.
Hey, you are telling the wrong people! I would write that in a LOCI and send it off to UCLA... fast.

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:19 am

jrose5 wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:They just need to let me in! They'd be one of my top choices.
Hey, you are telling the wrong people! I would write that in a LOCI and send it off to UCLA... fast.
I sent off an email this weekend. I hope this facilitates things. If they let me in and throw a little money my way it would be hard to turn down LA.

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:22 am

I'd also like to know ASAP so I can get out there and visit before the deposit date. It would also be nice to be able to attend ASD so I could potentially meet some future classmates and maybe some roomies even.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”