I need some advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
socraticmethodman

Bronze

I need some advice

Post by socraticmethodman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:36 am

I'm an AA male, 3.65/156 and I was admitted to UVA. It was a huge reach and I almost cried when I got the call lol. Although I knew I would end up paying sticker, actually seeing the 70k in loans made me sick. I really don't have an interest in biglaw; I'd like to work for the DOJ or ACLU. I know the LARP system, but even that is not guaranteed. I was recently informed of the MTO Fellows program, which is an SEO type program where one works for the firm Munger, Tolles, and Olson for a year (June-June). The firm is in LA, pays a salary of 32,000 and also pays for an LSAT prep program. As mentioned before, I don't have an interest in biglaw, but the pay and other benefits would be nice. The program might even spark my interest in biglaw.

I was thinking I could defer my enrollment at UVA, do the program, retake the LSAT, and hope they give me merit aid, or decline my UVA offer, do the program, retake the LSAT, and see what next cycle brings me.

I'm confident I can do better on the LSAT, but there's still that voice in my heading saying what if I don't do better and throw away a t10 acceptance.

Also, FWIW, I'm 22 and graduating UG this May. Although I'm not sure where I want to practice, I know it's not the west coast.

What are your thoughts? UVA this fall? Defer, do the program, and go to UVA next year? Decline my UVA offer, do the program, and start all over again? I've tried to give the relavant information, but if I've missed something, just ask for it.

Thanks in advance.

northwood

Platinum

Re: I need some advice

Post by northwood » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:43 am

Id do the program and wait a year. You will have time to get an insight into the profession and be able to see if you like it or not. Defer for a year, and tell them the reasoning- im sure they will appprove. See what the stipulations of the deferment are and if you can- aim for a better score. While working, network like crazy. One year working will go by fast- and next year you will be ready to go ( and a bit more mature). Its also a good resume builder as well.

le_taon

New

Post by le_taon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:48 am

MTO is a great firm. If UVA lets you defer, do it. I think people with real-world experience do much better in law school.

But if they don't (or if they defer but don't let you apply elsewhere) then I say, go to UVA. It's a great school, and (not to be rude) but I don't know many 156's getting into T10 these days.

If you really want to do public interest, just go anyway. IBR, even absent LRAP, will take care of the loans. I know it's scary, but if you really want to do public interest, Uncle Sam's created the huge moral hazard and the debt, really, is just not an issue. See --LinkRemoved--

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:23 am

northwood wrote:Id do the program and wait a year. You will have time to get an insight into the profession and be able to see if you like it or not. Defer for a year, and tell them the reasoning- im sure they will appprove. See what the stipulations of the deferment are and if you can- aim for a better score. While working, network like crazy. One year working will go by fast- and next year you will be ready to go ( and a bit more mature). Its also a good resume builder as well.
I agree with this.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:45 am

Not sure whether or not you have an actual offer from MTO. My reading of your post suggests that you do not have an offer, just that you have become aware of the program.

Attend Virginia as it is one of the few law schools that may be worth sticker price. Apply for outside scholarships for AAs starting their second year of law school.

Consider retaking the LSAT in June to see if you can get an increase of 4 points or more. If so, then deferring or reapplying becomes a reasonable option due to the increased liklihood of merit money awards.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Keeper1125

New

Post by Keeper1125 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:49 am

Assuming you're certain you can do this program, I think all of the posters in this thread are dead-on. Speaking personally, I'm 3 years removed from undergrad and feel infinitely more prepared for law school (I'm entering this September) than I would have been 3 years ago. Just make sure that you're very clear on UVA's terms for deferment.

If you're just hoping to apply to the program, however, I wouldn't make any hasty decisions such as throwing away UVA without a guarantee.

Either way, A+ username.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:21 am

Go to UVA unless you are confident you can raise that LSAT score to at least 16x. Getting in there was a huge reach I would take it and run.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:08 am

Thank you the responses thus far, I really appreciae them. I should have included this in my original post, but I have not yet been accepted to the program. However, I was told that I would be notified of acceptance or denial the week before I have to request deferment at UVA.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:12 am

northwood wrote:Id do the program and wait a year. You will have time to get an insight into the profession and be able to see if you like it or not. Defer for a year, and tell them the reasoning- im sure they will appprove. See what the stipulations of the deferment are and if you can- aim for a better score. While working, network like crazy. One year working will go by fast- and next year you will be ready to go ( and a bit more mature). Its also a good resume builder as well.
This. If you get in, do the program. I assume UVA will let you defer for it, and if not, you should retake the LSAT and try and get a bit higher. Even a 160 could get you money from UVA, helping ease that 210k loan situation.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:37 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Not sure whether or not you have an actual offer from MTO. My reading of your post suggests that you do not have an offer, just that you have become aware of the program.

Attend Virginia as it is one of the few law schools that may be worth sticker price. Apply for outside scholarships for AAs starting their second year of law school.

Consider retaking the LSAT in June to see if you can get an increase of 4 points or more. If so, then deferring or reapplying becomes a reasonable option due to the increased liklihood of merit money awards.

I considered this, but the deadline to defer is in May.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”