Should I game the system?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Should I game the system?

Postby 1234543523 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:18 pm

f7 wrote:
smittytron3k wrote:law schools won't see your transcript, only the LSDAS report.

anyways, this is a dumb idea. not unethical, just dumb.

Um, they get a copy of the front of your transcript with the LSDAS report, champ.

Happy 4th 2000th post to me.

sighsigh

Postby sighsigh » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Veyron wrote:
sighsigh wrote:So apparently, if you retake a course both the original course mark and the retaken course mark are included in your LSDAS GPA.

Usually, my UG only allows students to retake courses if they have failed them or gotten a low mark (C's/D's). However, they also allow you to retake exactly 1.0 course no matter what your original mark is.

Should I retake a course I know I will get A+ in because I got A+ in it in my original attempt? This would raise my GPA since LSDAS would count both A+'s, not only one. The mark goes on my transcript with the words "extra" next to it. However, I'm worried about how LS admissions (I only care about HLS and CCN actually) would view this. It's obviously pretty unusual to retake a course that you aced, and I'm afraid they might realise I did it only for the purposes of LS admission.

Summary: is a 0.02 increase in your LSDAS GPA worth this negative stigma?

Thanks.

EDIT: I could always submit an addenum which lies bends the truth about why I took the course.

LSAC won't double count. Focus on your LSAT, with the amount of work that it takes to take a class you could at least add 1 point to your score. That matters more than a marginal GPA boost.

LSAC won't double count? Explain.

Anyways, I've decided not to do it, since I believe it does carry a high risk which is not worth the gain. However if I were to do it, it would be very convenient. The course would cost $0 (my uni has flat fees), and the course itself consists of two extremely easy and predictable T/F tests (lol), and an essay. I don't need to come to lectures, I already have all my notes, and I already have the essay written. The prof is a complete and utter slacker who doesn't care about anything. It really is quite a gem of a course, especially since I attend a uni which is well-known for its grade deflation.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 pm

f7 wrote:
f7 wrote:
smittytron3k wrote:law schools won't see your transcript, only the LSDAS report.

anyways, this is a dumb idea. not unethical, just dumb.

Um, they get a copy of the front of your transcript with the LSDAS report, champ.

Happy 4th 2000th post to me.

Congrataliciousness!

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Which Univ in Korea are you attending bro? 8)

sighsigh

Postby sighsigh » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:26 pm

lovejopd wrote:Which Univ in Korea are you attending bro? 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:56 pm

There are many classes in UG catalogs that you can retake for credit, at least at my UG. Some are seminar type of classes that covers different subjects from term to term. So just because you have duplicate course numbers doesn't mean you are trying to game the system or unethical.

I have 3 classes with the same course numbers on my transcript (3 different projects with the same course number), so that's 9 credits.
Last edited by r6_philly on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:08 pm

What an awesomely striver-ish OP.

You will be an outstanding 1L, but remember: if your classmates are given the opportunity to answer a question, they will learn, and thus slightly increase their probability of outperforming you on the final. Do not let this happen.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:18 pm

flcath wrote:You will be an outstanding 1L, but remember: if your classmates are given the opportunity to answer a question, they will learn, and thus slightly increase their probability of outperforming you on the final. Do not let this happen.

:D :D :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”