What does a fee waiver actually mean?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alexonfyre

What does a fee waiver actually mean?

Postby alexonfyre » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Aside from the obvious...thanks TLS.

I have gotten a bunch from schools I think I am on the lower end of marginal for, but very few (only one I can think of) for schools which I consider myself a solid candidate (i.e. T2s).
I originally thought they were to convince more qualified candidates to apply to places they hadn't thought about/weren't considering, but now I feel like they are geared more towards applicants who don't want to "waste money applying where they may not get in and don't have special feelings toward the school," which is exactly how I feel about some of mine. Perhaps it is both?

For reference: 2.81/166 (URM, MA) Some waivers: W&L, George Mason, Baylor

Is there any correlation between people who have gotten waivers and admit % or money after admit?
I never really thought about it, because I never expected to get any, but now I am curious, should I add GMU to my list, or are they gaming me?

CanadianWolf

Re: What does a fee waiver actually mean?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:53 pm

They just want you to apply.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:55 pm

No, it doesn't mean much. Many schools send them to applicants they have no interest in so they can boost their applicants and lower their acceptance rate (which counts towards ranking).

It's still worth a shot though since it's only going to cost you $12.
Last edited by aliarrow on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:56 pm

aliarrow wrote:No. Many schools send them to applicants they have no interest in so they can boost their applicants and lower their acceptance rate (which counts towards ranking).

CanadianWolf wrote:They just want you to apply.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:57 pm

aliarrow wrote:No. Many schools send them to applicants they have no interest in so they can boost their applicants and lower their acceptance rate (which counts towards ranking).

This is just what I thought. So yeah, fee waivers are going right in the garbage from now on. Though I will commend GMU for having someone (no idea who) sign all of their fee waiver cards.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:01 pm

rebexness wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:Is there any correlation between people who have gotten waivers and admit % or money after admit?
I never really thought about it, because I never expected to get any, but now I am curious, should I add GMU to my list, or are they gaming me?

I'd at W&L before I added GMU, personally.
Then again you are URM so its hard to tell what they are doing.

I was actually surprised to get two from virginia and similar, but then I did a google of it and found out that W&L is always free to apply, freaking marketing people (of which I am one.) Also, the W&L and Baylor were both emails, GMU sent me a postcard, which apparently is good for paper or online, but yeah, UVA, GWU or nobody in that area. Sorry GMU.

zonto

Postby zonto » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Only reason people attend GMU is because they didn't get into UVA, GULC, GWU, W&M or W&L. (Many actually said that when I visited, so... cool).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”