How I Turned a Rejection into an Acceptance

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
silver7

How I Turned a Rejection into an Acceptance

Postby silver7 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:34 pm

First off, for the sake of anonymity I will keep most of this information generic but the purpose of this post is to inform my rejected brethren that there is always a little hope. However, I would like to state that my case is somewhat unique so do not assume that this was easy or typical.

To start things off I am a splitter ( sub 3.0 UGPA/ mid 160's lsat), so I expected an unpredictable cycle. I received my first rejection early on in my cycle and was certainly shocked as my numbers were definitely good enough to get in. After my initial disappointment I called the admissions office and was given a very detailed reason for my rejection; most notably that I did not write a GPA addendum. However, the adcom was kind enough to offer an additional review of my application with a written request and GPA addendum. After several months and a subsequent visit to the school to express my sincerity I was told, although not officially notified, that I had been waitlisted. This was a start. After a follow up LOCI (and probably a little luck) I was notified I had been accepted.

I understand that my situation is atypical and many other cases I do not expect the same outcome. However, If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them as best I can.

alexonfyre

Re: How I Turned a Rejection into an Acceptance

Postby alexonfyre » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:41 pm

silver7 wrote:First off, for the sake of anonymity I will keep most of this information generic but the purpose of this post is to inform my rejected brethren that there is always a little hope. However, I would like to state that my case is somewhat unique so do not assume that this was easy or typical.

To start things off I am a splitter ( sub 3.0 UGPA/ mid 160's lsat), so I expected an unpredictable cycle. I received my first rejection early on in my cycle and was certainly shocked as my numbers were definitely good enough to get in. After my initial disappointment I called the admissions office and was given a very detailed reason for my rejection; most notably that I did not write a GPA addendum. However, the adcom was kind enough to offer an additional review of my application with a written request and GPA addendum. After several months and a subsequent visit to the school to express my sincerity I was told, although not officially notified, that I had been waitlisted. This was a start. After a follow up LOCI (and probably a little luck) I was notified I had been accepted.

I understand that my situation is atypical and many other cases I do not expect the same outcome. However, If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them as best I can.

Haha, exact stats as you, would you mind sharing which school? PM is fine if you are uncomfortable.

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:44 pm

Way too much effort. It's easier (NPI) to sleep with the entire adcomm. And more fun!

esq

Postby esq » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Verity wrote:Way too much effort. It's easier (NPI) to sleep with the entire adcomm. And more fun!

TITCR

dukey

Postby dukey » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:57 pm

congrats :) that's amazing

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Verity wrote:Way too much effort. It's easier (NPI) to sleep with the entire adcomm. And more fun!

But what happens if you accidentally the whole adcomm?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:58 pm

you forgot the best part of the story where you declined the offer, retook, and ED'd to UVA

silver7

Postby silver7 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:06 pm

fatduck wrote:you forgot the best part of the story where you declined the offer, retook, and ED'd to UVA

Haha trust me it crossed my mind... I wish I could decline it would make my day!

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:24 pm

fatduck wrote:you forgot the best part of the story where you declined the offer, retook, and ED'd to UVA

or declined- retook, worked for a year or 2, and ED to NW

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:13 pm

northwood wrote:

Or the less traveled route - join the French Foreign Legion for 5 years, come back to the US with a new identity, major in mass comm at a LAC, and do every preptest. Instant Harvard.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:25 am

northwood wrote:

I hear this statement in almost every thread. God, its sickening.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:28 am

gothamm wrote:
northwood wrote:

I hear this statement in almost every thread. God, its sickening.

yes i agree- im really glad op got in. congrats!!!!!!!!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”