Anyone know and can help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
The Walrus

Anyone know and can help?

Postby The Walrus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Dear TLS,
Today I received my letter for a non-offer of admission to Cornell. My numbers were ok (3.4, 165), but a definite reach. The rest of my app is quite strong (accomplishments, involvement, recommenders).
CU is far and away my top choice (so long as Yale doesn't work out), and was very disheartened to not receive an offer of admission, though not surprised.
Does anyone have any insight of whether it's possible to write the June LSAT and perhaps be re-considered? I wrote in December, and was expecting a 167-170 but didn't have my best test on the real thing, although I know a lot of people come down a few points from their PT's.
I know I can transfer but I also know transferring is very difficult, and I don't want to sit out another year to try again for CU and perhaps not even be offered admission for 2012. Any advice on what I could do? Negative comments would not be considered helpful.
Thanks.

RockyIII

Re: Anyone know and can help?

Postby RockyIII » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:37 pm

The Walrus wrote:Dear TLS,

Does anyone have any insight of whether it's possible to write the June LSAT and perhaps be re-considered?
Thanks.

No, if you want to be reconsidered you would have to apply again next cycle.

Chants

Postby Chants » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Once you are rejected you are rejected for this term regardless of a retake. Your only hope for this cycle would have been if you were waitlisted, and even then most schools will not hold a decision pending a June retake.

Are you a URM? If so, you perhaps had a shot at Cornell, no shot at Yale. If you are not a URM, you will definitely need to retake in order to have any shot at all at either Cornell or Yale next cycle.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:44 pm

retake and reapply, hit the 168+ then you have a shot at cornell, Yale is almost out of the question with that GPA...

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:58 pm

I know Yale will probably not happen, but decided to apply there anyway. Not a URM, though I am international. Will probably call CU to see if it's possible, though I know allowing this type of thing is akin to opening Pandora's box. Just really want to attend there.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:00 pm

The Walrus wrote:I know Yale will probably not happen, but decided to apply there anyway. Not a URM, though I am international. Will probably call CU to see if it's possible, though I know allowing this type of thing is akin to opening Pandora's box. Just really want to attend there.

I'm almost certain you're going to be disappointed with Cornell's answer.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks, I hope you're wrong but appreciate your honesty.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Cornell's website says that denied applicants may reapply in a "SUBSEQUENT YEAR." I strongly advise against calling. If you're so dead set on Cornell, retake the LSAT and reapply in the fall.

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... ration.cfm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”