what counts as "work experience" at Northwestern? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bk1

Diamond

Re: what counts as "work experience" at Northwestern?

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:08 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:
bk187 wrote:splitters or reverse splitters
What is the difference?
Splitter: High LSAT/Low GPA
Reverse Spliter: Low LSAT/High GPA

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:13 pm

I have it on good authority that manual labor and/or pre-university w/e doesn't count (strangely enough).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:15 pm

Veyron wrote:I have it on good authority that manual labor and/or pre-university w/e doesn't count (strangely enough).
What about w/e that is concurrent with college? I know of at least one person who I think might have been pushed over the edge by their college work (they only had 1 year post-grad w/e), but I am purely speculating.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Veyron wrote:I have it on good authority that manual labor and/or pre-university w/e doesn't count (strangely enough).
Pre uni doesn't count unless it was amazing or military.

I think manual would count with otherwise good numbers.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:57 pm

bk187 wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:Nah, there is something else that torpedoed him. Probably got cocky and wrote an arrogant sounding PS. Also, LORs or some sort of skeleton in the closet could have sunk that ship.
I doubt it. The way I see it, NU generally admits people who have at least 2 of the following:

1. Above Median LSAT
2. Above Median GPA
3. 2+ Years Full Time Work Exp

I think that Verity's friend only had one of them (#3) and that's what got him dinged.
The data taken as a whole seems to suggest that solid numbers can definitely overshadow scant/insignificant WE, but not vice versa. Also, a below median GPA can be overcome by a high-end LSAT, and awesome WE. I'm not sure that goes the other way, where a below-median or below-25%ile LSAT can be overcome by a high GPA and great WE. IN ANY CASE, however, great WE/extracurriculars can't overcome a below-median LSAT/GPA combo, unless it's incredibly rare/significant (e.g., a former astronaut turned Olympic gold-medalist).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Verity wrote:
bk187 wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:Nah, there is something else that torpedoed him. Probably got cocky and wrote an arrogant sounding PS. Also, LORs or some sort of skeleton in the closet could have sunk that ship.
I doubt it. The way I see it, NU generally admits people who have at least 2 of the following:

1. Above Median LSAT
2. Above Median GPA

I think that Verity's friend only had one of them (#3) and that's what got him dinged.
The data taken as a whole seems to suggest that solid numbers can definitely overshadow scant/insignificant WE, but not vice versa. Also, a below median GPA can be overcome by a high-end LSAT, and awesome WE. I'm not sure that goes the other way, where a below-median or below-25%ile LSAT can be overcome by a high GPA and great WE. IN ANY CASE, however, great WE/extracurriculars can't overcome a below-median LSAT/GPA combo, unless it's incredibly rare/significant (e.g., a former astronaut turned Olympic gold-medalist).
I'd agree with that but I think ED can be a cure for splits/reversesplits (assuming w/e). I dumbed it down for simplicity's sake though.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:57 pm

bk187 wrote:
Verity wrote:
bk187 wrote:

1. Above Median LSAT
2. Above Median GPA

I'd agree with that but I think ED can be a cure for splits/reversesplits (assuming w/e). I dumbed it down for simplicity's sake though.

For splitters and reverse-splitters ED is a plus (for anyone, really...and a minor one at that), but can't be a cure unless their numbers conform the the above-stated model. For instance, a 2.3/169 is definitely a splitter, an extreme-splitter actually, but would not be accepted without URM-status and great to excellent WE, even with ED. Reverse splitters have it worse, because I don't really see much of anything short of a Nobel prize getting a 3.95/152 into NU.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Verity wrote:
bk187 wrote:

1. Above Median LSAT
2. Above Median GPA

And NASA told me that my curling career was a waste of time...this will show them!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:02 pm

I've always wondered this.

I didn't apply b/c I thought they were all former iBankers and my low-level teaching position wouldn't count.
:(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:04 pm

flcath wrote:I've always wondered this.

I didn't apply b/c I thought they were all former iBankers and my low-level teaching position wouldn't count.
I didn't think they were this but I didn't put much time into my app because I felt 1 year as a paper pusher wasn't going to cut it when only 10% of their class has less than 2 years w/e. Looking back, I think I done fucked up.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:29 am

bk187 wrote:

I didn't think they were this but I didn't put much time into my app because I felt 1 year as a paper pusher wasn't going to cut it when only 10% of their class has less than 2 years w/e. Looking back, I think I done fucked up.
yes you guys done fucked up

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bk187 wrote:

yes you guys done fucked up
Happens tho dawg.

I also should've majored in Women's Inter-Ethic Literary Studies and gotten a 4.0 and gone to HYS.

Seriously, the difference b/t an average HYS kid and me is that they knew (or were told) from an early age how to game the system.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Not every hard science major has a lower gpa. Im sure there are plenty engineering, chem, physics, etc... majors who had 4.0s and went to hys

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:25 pm

dr123 wrote:Not every hard science major has a lower gpa. Im sure there are plenty engineering, chem, physics, etc... majors who had 4.0s and went to hys
Yes, but they are not the average HYS kid.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”