Still report disciplinary action that ended favorably? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justonequestion

New

Still report disciplinary action that ended favorably?

Post by justonequestion » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Last edited by justonequestion on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

paisaaa

Bronze

Re: Still report disciplinary action that ended favorably?

Post by paisaaa » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:16 pm

justonequestion wrote:If one were looking at reprimand as the lowest possible settlement, with the promise that it is not disclosed unless a subsequent action is compounded, should one take it?

Or should the same person take it to committee and move the charges be dismissed or try to prove his innocence? Would either of these two results necessitate a disclosure?

Probation, suspension, etc. are out of the question.
I disclosed something along these lines. It doesn't seem like schools care all that much.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:18 pm

Whether you have to disclose depends on how each school words its C&F questions. Some schools require you to disclose any charges or accusations, regardless of the outcome. Most schools ask you to disclose infractions where you were convicted, plead guilty, etc., even if they have been exponged or are otherwise not disclosed. Some schools only want to know about infractions that resulted in punishment that have not been exponged.

Check with each of the schools to which you've applied/plan to apply.

justonequestion

New

Post by justonequestion » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Last edited by justonequestion on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 pm

justonequestion wrote:This concerns school-initiated disciplinary action, not criminal justice.
Right, but schools ask about both. Some schools only want what stays on your academic record, others want to know everything, even if it's expunged or otherwise not on your record.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:58 pm

I have a similar question.

My roommate attacked me, and when I reported him, lied about it- claiming that I attacked him. We were both put on disciplinary probation, but during the arbitration process he admitted lying, and the school decided that my situation didn't warrant being put on probation, so they removed it.

I should still disclose this, right?

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:33 pm

minnbills wrote:I have a similar question.

My roommate attacked me, and when I reported him, lied about it- claiming that I attacked him. We were both put on disciplinary probation, but during the arbitration process he admitted lying, and the school decided that my situation didn't warrant being put on probation, so they removed it.

I should still disclose this, right?
Yes. It wont hurt you since you were exonerated, but not disclosing may hurt if they find out. Most schools ask if you have ever been put on academic probation, so the answer to that would be "yes".

My rule is to disclose everything.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:37 pm

justonequestion wrote:If one were looking at reprimand as the lowest possible settlement, with the promise that it is not disclosed unless a subsequent action is compounded, should one take it?

Or should the same person take it to committee and move the charges be dismissed or try to prove his innocence? Would either of these two results necessitate a disclosure?

Probation, suspension, etc. are out of the question.
It depends on the school, but all of these would require disclosure at a number of schools. A lot of schools ask whether you've ever been the subject of disciplinary proceedings at your school, which would make all of these need to be disclosed.

justonequestion

New

Post by justonequestion » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”