Law School Apps Drop 11.5 Percent, a 10-Year Low Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dpk711

Silver

Re: Law School Apps Drop 11.5 Percent, a 10-Year Low

Post by dpk711 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:59 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Seriously though. We all caution people on this forum to avoid law school because of the legal market. Yet nearly all of us will be attending law school. Why do we seem to think we will succeed when we tell everyone else the likelihood of them succeeding is minuscule?
because I'm heading to a t14
8)

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:00 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Seriously though. We all caution people on this forum to avoid law school because of the legal market. Yet nearly all of us will be attending law school. Why do we seem to think we will succeed when we tell everyone else the likelihood of them succeeding is minuscule?
Cuz we r special

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Because we're assuming that most people here have done their research and are entering law school with full knowledge of the risks and have made an informed decision to attend. Plus TLS strongly encourages people to take scholarships and avoid paying sticker. Additionally, a lot of TLS posters have been accepted into the top schools, where the risk is less than at other schools.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Most of the people that TLS as a whole tells not to go are people who have a very low chance of succeeding. Many of the people who are saying these things have a very high chance of succeeding (be it through quality of school, scholarships, and a propensity for high class rank).

Nobody here in law school *knows* they will succeed, they just like their chances given the available data and their personal situation. There's no real discrepancy here.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Knock wrote:
Because we're assuming that most people here have done their research and are entering law school with full knowledge of the risks and have made an informed decision to attend. Plus TLS strongly encourages people to take scholarships and avoid paying sticker. Additionally, a lot of TLS posters have been accepted into the top schools, where the risk is less than at other schools.
Yeah, doing the math, it is pretty damn unlikely I will be worse off by going to law school (other than the waste of time or if I turn out to hate the legal profession). For someone paying sticker at Valparaiso the odds are rather different.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:09 pm

And yet still no T14 acceptances so...I don't give a fuck.

Ha, merely joking-very interesting I guess
:x

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Most of the people that TLS as a whole tells not to go are people who have a very low chance of succeeding. Many of the people who are saying these things have a very high chance of succeeding (be it through quality of school, scholarships, and a propensity for high class rank).

Nobody here in law school *knows* they will succeed, they just like their chances given the available data and their personal situation. There's no real discrepancy here.
I'd like to use that as a segue into a piece of advice I like to hang my hat on. Well, more of a philosophy really. As my favorite high school teacher liked to say, "With low expectations, you'll never be disappointed. Only surprised." Truly, I tell you, it works.

If I could go back in time I would major in Comm. But I'd still have to live with myself, so...I guess I'm good.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:14 pm

A lot of people apply straight out of undergrad, part of it could be that the number of people in undergrad c/o 2011 is lower this year? I know undergrad apps spiked like a motherfucker the year after me, so maybe there'll be an increase next year. But 10% is still a huge drop, no question.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:20 pm

dpk711 wrote:
8)

wait.. i thought we were going with t13...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:22 pm

glitched wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
8)

Please, for the love of all that is holy, please do not turn this thread into another argument about that. We have seen enough of those in the last 2 days.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:23 pm

glitched wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
8)

well in that case -- because I'm heading to a t13

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:25 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
glitched wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
8)

Please, for the love of all that is holy, please do not turn this thread into another argument about that. We have seen enough of those in the last 2 days.
Seriously. We really just need to accept that it's T15 now and move on.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:25 pm

If you avoid schools that have T's in their name, you circumvent the obnoxious TTTrolling
STTTanford
GeorgeTTTown
WUSTTTL
TTTexas
VanderbilTTT
BoalTTT
MinnesoTTTa

But in all seriousness, Stanford is heartbreakingly beautiful. I would sell multiple organs to go there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:If you avoid schools that have T's in their name, you circumvent the obnoxious TTTrolling
STTTanford
GeorgeTTTown
WUSTTTL
TTTexas
VanderbilTTT
BoalTTT
MinnesoTTTa

But in all seriousness, Stanford is heartbreakingly beautiful. I would sell multiple organs to go there.
NorthwesTTTern*

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 pm

But the T14 isn't some platonic fucking form or anything. So Texas is tied with GULC. If this year really makes Texas a T14, the categorization was meaningless to begin with, i.e. T14 only had descriptive meaning (literally, the top 14) instead of some magical employment prospects that immediately end at 15 because of the number
Last edited by ArthurDigbySellers on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 pm

TTTexas in the T14 is a complete joke

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:29 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Please, for the love of all that is holy, please do not turn this thread into another argument about that. We have seen enough of those in the last 2 days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:30 pm

Because we have to scare everyone away so there are more jobs for us. Doesn't anyone fucking read the PM you get when your account is a year old any more?

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:If you avoid schools that have T's in their name, you circumvent the obnoxious TTTrolling
STTTanford
GeorgeTTTown
WUSTTTL
TTTexas
VanderbilTTT
BoalTTT
MinnesoTTTa

NorthwesTTTern*
HarvarTTT
ChicaTTTgo
Last edited by alexonfyre on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:31 pm

alexonfyre wrote:the PM you get when your account is a year old any more?
wut

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:35 am

Brilliant. I'm sure JDU accounts for at least half that drop.

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:40 am

yay?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:46 am

fakemoney wrote:Brilliant. I'm sure JDU accounts for at least half that drop.
JDU is some scary shit.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:03 am

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
JDU is some scary shit.
FTFY

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:08 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
JDU is some scary shit.
FTFY
I make no claims about its veracity or quality, just that it's scary on multiple levels

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:11 am

This should factor into everyone's decision

http://io9.com/#!5782361/where-did-batman-go-to-college

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”