Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Craplicant150
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:15 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:I agree you don't have to get in the 170s to be a great lawyer. I don't think I'm any better at debating than people who scored in the 160s just because I scored in the 160s.

BUT if you are in the 140s you probably argue like an idiot - just sayin'.

I have talked to lawyers who are very successful who went to lower ranked law schools (tier 2s), but even they can pick up on a flawed argument in 2 seconds. Even these people, though, had to break a 155 or so. I think there's a certain competency OP just wouldn't have to succeed at this point in law school.


Wrong...

Only Logical Reasoning tests one's ability to pick up a flawed argument.

Reading Comprehension and Logic Games don't test that. Since 2/3rd of the test doesn't test what you claim it does, YOUR ARGUMENT is flawed!!! LOL... like 10 year olds..

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby fatduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:I agree you don't have to get in the 170s to be a great lawyer. I don't think I'm any better at debating than people who scored in the 160s just because I scored in the 160s.

BUT if you are in the 140s you probably argue like an idiot - just sayin'.

I have talked to lawyers who are very successful who went to lower ranked law schools (tier 2s), but even they can pick up on a flawed argument in 2 seconds. Even these people, though, had to break a 155 or so. I think there's a certain competency OP just wouldn't have to succeed at this point in law school.


Wrong...

Only Logical Reasoning tests one's ability to pick up a flawed argument.

Reading Comprehension and Logic Games don't test that. Since 2/3rd of the test doesn't test what you claim it does, YOUR ARGUMENT is flawed!!! LOL... like 10 year olds..

there are 2 LR sections bro

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:Mickey... You've got some splannin to do...


First you confuse statistics with probability, and then in essence contradict your argument.

Regression Analysis huh? Contigency Fit...

I am an economics major, and have taken plenty of statistics classes. You aren't going to fool me buddy....


You use statistical test models AFTER gathering data to test to see if your hypotheisis is/was correct. This is not predictive by any means....

For example:

Ho- Drug A will not improve patients symptoms

Ha- Drug B will improve patients symptoms


Then you test the the drug on a sample, collect the data, and probably do a Z-test to determine whether to accept the null or reject the alternative.

You can make a hypothesis now, but can't test it until 2013 or 2014

:lol: :lol:

you're right, nothing can be proven until 2014. I'll change my mission statement to "go ahead and approach Cooley and Columbia with the same mindset, we can only make determinations out of past data, and therefore you can't know which school will perform better until you graduate"

Thanks for fixing my entire outlook on law school!

Craplicant150
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Well...


Looks like I win this argument Mickey... Unless of cours you are some sort of savant

Since you have no idea what the economy is going to look like in 2014, you have no idea whether or not it would be a good or bad decision to go to Cooley, as you have no idea what job prospects it will lead to in 2014.

Conversly, I have no idea either.... However just like you can reference poor recent economic troubles, I can also mention the successful lawyers Cooley has produced.

Your "probablility" crap has been thrown out the window... You have no idea what the probability of a getting a job with a Cooley JD will be in 2014.

What did you score on the LSAT?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby fatduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 pm

how do you know you won't die in 2013? not worth going to law school imo, better to spend your last days fishing and hanging with your friends than wasting away in a classroom.

Craplicant150
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:50 pm

BTW you better make a careful hypothesis.

If you say something like

Ho- Cooley won't lead to job
Ha- Cooley will lead to a job

Statisticians would require that a minumum of 95% of the data would be within 1.96 standard deviations of the mean in order to accept the null.

This is called DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS :)

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:51 pm

fatduck wrote:how do you know you won't die in 2013? not worth going to law school imo, better to spend your last days fishing and hanging with your friends than wasting away in a classroom.


Hey dude, think you could hook me up with your library of Corgis in Suits, could really use a set of those.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:Well...


Looks like I win this argument Mickey... Unless of cours you are some sort of savant

Since you have no idea what the economy is going to look like in 2014, you have no idea whether or not it would be a good or bad decision to go to Cooley, as you have no idea what job prospects it will lead to in 2014.

Conversly, I have no idea either.... However just like you can reference poor recent economic troubles, I can also mention the successful lawyers Cooley has produced.

Your "probablility" crap has been thrown out the window... You have no idea what the probability of a getting a job with a Cooley JD will be in 2014.

What did you score on the LSAT?

Seeing as I am your undisputed intellectual inferior, you could only assume it was probably lower than yours. I guess all that "probability crap" doesn't mean anything now that it's been soundly refuted and i've gg'd out. Thank you for teaching me about high school level statistics, as I clearly had no idea what any of those words actually meant. Take it easy on us plebians next time with your tour de force of wit, thanks!

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Craplicant150 wrote:Well...


Looks like I win this argument Mickey... Unless of cours you are some sort of savant

Since you have no idea what the economy is going to look like in 2014, you have no idea whether or not it would be a good or bad decision to go to Cooley, as you have no idea what job prospects it will lead to in 2014.

Conversly, I have no idea either.... However just like you can reference poor recent economic troubles, I can also mention the successful lawyers Cooley has produced.

Your "probablility" crap has been thrown out the window... You have no idea what the probability of a getting a job with a Cooley JD will be in 2014.

What did you score on the LSAT?

Seeing as I am your undisputed intellectual inferior, you could only assume it was probably lower than yours. I guess all that "probability crap" doesn't mean anything now that it's been soundly refuted and i've gg'd out. Thank you for teaching me about high school level statistics, as I clearly had no idea what any of those words actually meant. Take it easy on us plebians next time with your tour de force of wit, thanks!


MQ, it was kind of funny at first, but stop feeding the troll, he keeps bumping all of these threads with his waste-of-time nonsense and I'm probably not the only one tired of seeing this guy/alt around.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:08 pm

alexonfyre wrote:MQ, it was kind of funny at first, but stop feeding the troll, he keeps bumping all of these threads with his waste-of-time nonsense and I'm probably not the only one tired of seeing this guy/alt around.

Don't tell me I can't have fun!

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby beachbum » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:54 am

Holy crap how did I not see this thread before.

/new respect for MQ

User avatar
Hank Chill
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Hank Chill » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:56 am

Craplicant150 wrote:Well...


Looks like I win this argument Mickey... Unless of cours you are some sort of savant

Since you have no idea what the economy is going to look like in 2014, you have no idea whether or not it would be a good or bad decision to go to Cooley, as you have no idea what job prospects it will lead to in 2014.

Conversly, I have no idea either.... However just like you can reference poor recent economic troubles, I can also mention the successful lawyers Cooley has produced.

Your "probablility" crap has been thrown out the window... You have no idea what the probability of a getting a job with a Cooley JD will be in 2014.

What did you score on the LSAT?


This thread is getting fucking silly.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby kwais » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:52 am

Craplicant150 wrote:Well...


Looks like I win this argument Mickey... Unless of cours you are some sort of savant

Since you have no idea what the economy is going to look like in 2014, you have no idea whether or not it would be a good or bad decision to go to Cooley, as you have no idea what job prospects it will lead to in 2014.

Conversly, I have no idea either.... However just like you can reference poor recent economic troubles, I can also mention the successful lawyers Cooley has produced.

Your "probablility" crap has been thrown out the window... You have no idea what the probability of a getting a job with a Cooley JD will be in 2014.

What did you score on the LSAT?


You are screwed. It's fucking Cooley.

emmbar53
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby emmbar53 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:Well...


Looks like I win this argument Mickey... Unless of cours you are some sort of savant

Since you have no idea what the economy is going to look like in 2014, you have no idea whether or not it would be a good or bad decision to go to Cooley, as you have no idea what job prospects it will lead to in 2014.

Conversly, I have no idea either.... However just like you can reference poor recent economic troubles, I can also mention the successful lawyers Cooley has produced.

Your "probablility" crap has been thrown out the window... You have no idea what the probability of a getting a job with a Cooley JD will be in 2014.

What did you score on the LSAT?


How in the world are you confusing likelihood with certainty? Mickey doesn't need certainty in his argument, because obviously there is no certainty concerning something as variable as the future economy. There is a significant likelihood, however, and that is what Mickey is basing his arguments on.

Let's look at an analogy that should illuminate your mistakes in this interaction with Mickey. Imagine the following exchange.

Mickey: It's been 100 degrees out the last four weeks, and, given that we're in Arizona and it's August, it's gonna be pretty damn hot tomorrow as well.

You: Ha! There is no way to know that! It is not certain that the sun will even rise tomorrow! And if that doesn't happen, it will be cold as shit! We can't test your hypothesis until tomorrow, so, for now, it is useless!

You are basically assuming that you need certainty in order to have knowledge (or maybe even the stronger claim, that you need certainty for your evidence to even have any weight). Either way, this is obviously wrong, and no legitimate thinker/philosopher has believed these claims in centuries.

-----

TL;DR version: Craplicant's reasoning centers around the outrageous claim that you need certainty for your evidence to carry any weight.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby sundance95 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:08 pm

He's clearly trolling at this point, folks. Move along, nothing more to see here.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Craplicant150 wrote:Mickey... You've got some splannin to do...


First you confuse statistics with probability, and then in essence contradict your argument.

Regression Analysis huh? Contigency Fit...

I am an economics major, and have taken plenty of statistics classes. You aren't going to fool me buddy....


You use statistical test models AFTER gathering data to test to see if your hypotheisis is/was correct. This is not predictive by any means....

For example:

Ho- Drug A will not improve patients symptoms

Ha- Drug B will improve patients symptoms


Then you test the the drug on a sample, collect the data, and probably do a Z-test to determine whether to accept the null or reject the alternative.

You can make a hypothesis now, but can't test it until 2013 or 2014

:lol: :lol:

you're right, nothing can be proven until 2014. I'll change my mission statement to "go ahead and approach Cooley and Columbia with the same mindset, we can only make determinations out of past data, and therefore you can't know which school will perform better until you graduate"

Thanks for fixing my entire outlook on law school!


I'm guessing that "plenty of statistics classes" = 1 intro level course.

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby esq » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:What did you score on the LSAT?

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby fatduck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:27 pm

sundance95 wrote:He's clearly trolling at this point, folks. Move along, nothing more to see here.

while this guy is one of the more obvious "trolls" on tls, he also appears to be legitimately stupid, and thus it is still fun to mess with him.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:33 pm

fatduck wrote:
sundance95 wrote:He's clearly trolling at this point, folks. Move along, nothing more to see here.

while this guy is one of the more obvious "trolls" on tls, he also appears to be legitimately stupid, and thus it is still fun to mess with him.


sundance95 SAID MOVE ALONG GOD DAMMIT!

emmbar53
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby emmbar53 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:43 pm

fatduck wrote:
sundance95 wrote:He's clearly trolling at this point, folks. Move along, nothing more to see here.

while this guy is one of the more obvious "trolls" on tls, he also appears to be legitimately stupid, and thus it is still fun to mess with him.


And, really, when someone says "I am majoring in Economics and took some stats classes" and thinks we're supposed to be impressed....he's begging to be messed with.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby 20160810 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:36 pm

Updates upon rereading this thread:

1.) I've decided Crapplicant is pretty clearly just trolling, and banned him.
2.) I've decided MQ might be my new favorite poster.

User avatar
jcccc
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby jcccc » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:26 am

hahahahah at every single one of you dumbfucks who fell for the TC and that craplicant troll.

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby patogordo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:32 am

jcccc wrote:hahahahah at every single one of you dumbfucks who fell for the TC and that craplicant troll.

yea we sure got fooled! no one had any idea. haha, fuck you three-years-ago me!

User avatar
jcccc
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby jcccc » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:43 am

patogordo wrote:
jcccc wrote:hahahahah at every single one of you dumbfucks who fell for the TC and that craplicant troll.

yea we sure got fooled! no one had any idea. haha, fuck you three-years-ago me!


Yup you're a moron!

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby patogordo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:50 am

jcccc wrote:
patogordo wrote:
jcccc wrote:hahahahah at every single one of you dumbfucks who fell for the TC and that craplicant troll.

yea we sure got fooled! no one had any idea. haha, fuck you three-years-ago me!


Yup you're a moron!

so...it's 2014. did you get a job or not?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dan9257 and 3 guests