Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Curry

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:15 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Craplicant150 wrote:Magnoilia....

The fact that graduating from a T14 school doesn't guaranty you a job supports the idea that in an economic downturn it is less important where you graduate from.

If you read my assessment carefully you would see that I had stressed the importance of doing well in Law School. We all want to be lawyers. The only way to do that is to go to law school. Schools like Cooley at least give you that chance.

Hi! My name is probability! Nice to meet you!

When someone goes to like UVA, they have about a 60+% chance of getting into biglaw or a prestigious clerkship, that means the probability (that's me!) is better than a coinflip. For other kids in that class who end up working at small/midlaw firms, public interest jobs, and other respectable careers, it goes up to over 90%!! Wow that's great!!

When a kid goes to Cooley, his probability is low :( :( :( . At Cooley less than 1/3 of a graduating class will ever have substantive work in the legal profession. Oh no!! That's bad :( . don't forget, that many of the kids that do get work will be working in very ungratified professions such cheap personal injury firms and insurance defense. Truth be told, a negligible amount of kids from cooley will ever get a job they want :shock: Yikes!!

Some kids who go to cooley, many many years after they graduate can make a lot of money! Yay! :D :D And some kids who graduate from UVA might be unemployed for a while :cry:

but remember!! Because you have no realistic notion of how you're actually going to fair in law school, when you're up against every kid in your class who also wants to do really well, just think of me!! (probability :D :D ). Just like a casino! Yay gambling is fun :lol: :lol: , you'd be better off putting a bunch of money down on a full house at a poker table than you would on red 19, you might lose it all!! :shock: :shock: . Sometimes people do win on red19, and sometimes people lose on full houses. But thanks to me (probability!) you can disregard those specific incidents and look at the broader picture! YAY!

I'm in love.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby sundance95 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:15 am

fltanglab wrote:
Magnolia wrote:
fltanglab wrote:edit- answer found

Would you mind sharing? I'm curious and I can't remember if I was saying before I found TLS or I picked it up here.


I definitely picked it up from my friend, who picked it up here. But some shallow research suggests that it's from Fight Club.

*Slaps forehead* Of course! Good call.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Sandro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:18 am

Mr. Probability reminded me of the DNA character from the Jurassic Park Labratory Ride movie... how does my mind make these connections?

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:21 am

Craplicant150 wrote:Yes.... because there are 52 cards in the deck at Cooley.... What a load of crap....

You do realize that the probability of getting ANY job right now is low?

You're silly!! hahahaha

analogies are fun because you can take one aspect of something to help explain another aspect of something else :wink: :wink: , also red 19 refers to roulette, there are no cards at all!!! :shock: :shock: 8)

the probability (that's me!) of employment of all law schools in the aggregate right now is low :evil: :evil: some people will be very sad when they graduate, and nobody likes a frumpy face. But the higher up in quality your school is, as the rankings serve a rough proxy for, the better your odds! And we all know what odds are? Pr :mrgreen: bability!

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Magnolia » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:26 am

sundance95 wrote:
fltanglab wrote:
Magnolia wrote:
fltanglab wrote:edit- answer found

Would you mind sharing? I'm curious and I can't remember if I was saying before I found TLS or I picked it up here.


I definitely picked it up from my friend, who picked it up here. But some shallow research suggests that it's from Fight Club.

*Slaps forehead* Of course! Good call.

Ohhhh. Wow, I definitely should've known that. Thanks!

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Magnolia » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:27 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Craplicant150 wrote:Yes.... because there are 52 cards in the deck at Cooley.... What a load of crap....

You do realize that the probability of getting ANY job right now is low?

You're silly!! hahahaha

analogies are fun because you can take one aspect of something to help explain another aspect of something else :wink: :wink: , also red 19 refers to roulette, there are no cards at all!!! :shock: :shock: 8)

the probability (that's me!) of employment of all law schools in the aggregate right now is low :evil: :evil: some people will be very sad when they graduate, and nobody likes a frumpy face. But the higher up in quality your school is, as the rankings serve a rough proxy for, the better your odds! And we all know what odds are? Pr :mrgreen: bability!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for making my night!

User avatar
fltanglab
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby fltanglab » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:27 am

sundance95 wrote:
fltanglab wrote:
Magnolia wrote:
fltanglab wrote:edit- answer found

Would you mind sharing? I'm curious and I can't remember if I was saying before I found TLS or I picked it up here.


I definitely picked it up from my friend, who picked it up here. But some shallow research suggests that it's from Fight Club.

*Slaps forehead* Of course! Good call.


I'm really bad at picking up lines from movies, so I definitely didn't pick up on it until I looked it up. Haha.

User avatar
fltanglab
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby fltanglab » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:28 am

Magnolia wrote:Ohhhh. Wow, I definitely should've known that. Thanks!


No problem!

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby existenz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:31 am

MQ is da bomb.

dc1s
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:54 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby dc1s » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:49 am

Sandro wrote:Mr. Probability reminded me of the DNA character from the Jurassic Park Labratory Ride movie... how does my mind make these connections?


My first thoughts exactly.

jackjackson
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby jackjackson » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:00 am

it reminded me of mugato in zoolander.

User avatar
applepiecrust
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:38 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:19 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Craplicant150 wrote:Yes.... because there are 52 cards in the deck at Cooley.... What a load of crap....

You do realize that the probability of getting ANY job right now is low?

You're silly!! hahahaha

analogies are fun because you can take one aspect of something to help explain another aspect of something else :wink: :wink: , also red 19 refers to roulette, there are no cards at all!!! :shock: :shock: 8)

the probability (that's me!) of employment of all law schools in the aggregate right now is low :evil: :evil: some people will be very sad when they graduate, and nobody likes a frumpy face. But the higher up in quality your school is, as the rankings serve a rough proxy for, the better your odds! And we all know what odds are? Pr :mrgreen: bability!


You're epic epic win. I don't know you, but I <3 you.

User avatar
Hank Chill
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Hank Chill » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:00 am

Craplicant150 wrote:You do realize that the probability of getting ANY job right now is low?


...did you read any part of that post?

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:12 am

Facts:
-Name is "Craplicant150"
-Stats are 2.7/150 and tries to give advice
-Very passionate about advice
-All posts are derisive to the board and counter to conventional wisdom and common sense
-Always sides with the worst argument in a thread
-Specifically targets the people who react to him the most
-Is absolutely hilarious if you read it in "Angry Aspie" voice

Seriously guys...seriously? I think it is a credit to Craplicant's character that people have actually gotten to the point where people would believe he/she is that stupid.

However, Mr. Probability could probably be used again when someone actually that stupid shows up.

emmbar53
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby emmbar53 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:47 am

This thread is relevant to my interests as I am writing a book entitled Seven Paths to Financial Ruin: How to Avoid Sound Advice and Common Sense.

I have a chapter on misunderstanding employment prospects, so Craplicant's posts have been very helpful. I also have a chapter on snarky ways to dismiss helpful advice, so OP's comments have been quite illuminating.

Craplicant150
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Craplicant150 wrote:Yes.... because there are 52 cards in the deck at Cooley.... What a load of crap....

You do realize that the probability of getting ANY job right now is low?

You're silly!! hahahaha

analogies are fun because you can take one aspect of something to help explain another aspect of something else :wink: :wink: , also red 19 refers to roulette, there are no cards at all!!! :shock: :shock: 8)

the probability (that's me!) of employment of all law schools in the aggregate right now is low :evil: :evil: some people will be very sad when they graduate, and nobody likes a frumpy face. But the higher up in quality your school is, as the rankings serve a rough proxy for, the better your odds! And we all know what odds are? Pr :mrgreen: bability!


Wow!

This guy is such a genius that he doesn't even know the difference between probability and statsitics.

Probability deals with predicting the likelihood of future events, while statistics involves the analysis of the frequency of past events....

In his original post he criticizes me for stating that there have been successful lawyers at Cooley, by implying that they wouldn't have gotten where they are today in this economic climate. However his "probablity" is supported by rankings that also are formulated based on past events.

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby esq » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:40 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:Wow!

This guy is such a genius that he doesn't even know the difference between probability and statsitics.

Probability deals with predicting the likelihood of future events, while statistics involves the analysis of the frequency of past events....

In his original post he criticizes me for stating that there have been successful lawyers at Cooley, by implying that they wouldn't have gotten where they are today in this economic climate. However his "probablity" is supported by rankings that also are formulated based on past events.

It's this kind of thinking that got you that 2.7. ¡Cálmate!

Craplicant150
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:48 pm

esq wrote:
Craplicant150 wrote:Wow!

This guy is such a genius that he doesn't even know the difference between probability and statsitics.

Probability deals with predicting the likelihood of future events, while statistics involves the analysis of the frequency of past events....

In his original post he criticizes me for stating that there have been successful lawyers at Cooley, by implying that they wouldn't have gotten where they are today in this economic climate. However his "probablity" is supported by rankings that also are formulated based on past events.

It's this kind of thinking that got you that 2.7. ¡Cálmate!


Brilliant....

Maybe you could try to refute my comment if it's so dumb....


This board..... I can't believe some of you guys are law students. It's like arguing with ten year olds.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Craplicant150 wrote:Wow!

This guy is such a genius that he doesn't even know the difference between probability and statsitics.

Probability deals with predicting the likelihood of future events, while statistics involves the analysis of the frequency of past events....

In his original post he criticizes me for stating that there have been successful lawyers at Cooley, by implying that they wouldn't have gotten where they are today in this economic climate. However his "probablity" is supported by rankings that also are formulated based on past events.

Math! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I love math! yayayay!

Math is fun :P especially my real good friend mr.statistics! Some people, like a dictionary, define mr.statistics (my friend :lol: ) as a branch of applied mathematics concerned with the collection and interpretation of quantitative data and the use of probability theory to estimate population parameters. hahahaha he's so great! You can use him for things like measuring correlations, regression models, goodness-of-fit and contingency analysis. What a useful friend :mrgreen: !! It's funny though, some of those tools are used to make predictions, which come in the future 8) 8)

--ImageRemoved--

Ok, maybe not that far in the future :wink: :wink: :wink: . But using statistical models is a great way to calculate probabilistic expectations of future stuff! mr.statistics and me can work hand-in-hand to forecast outcomes, the reliability of those outcomes, and the effects they might have using probabilistic terms :lol: :D

We're not a dichotomy, we're just friends :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Speaking of the future and the past, let's take a trip to the past!
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:There was a painful oversupply of lawyers before the economy crashed, that was never good advice.

Is there a suggestion in there that lawyers in the pre-financial collapse economy from Cooley would not have made it? :oops: :oops: No, you silly pumpkin! But you have have been able to infer that there would be a lower probability (me!) :wink: :wink:

If you're suggesting that things like statistics can't be used to create probabilities, then a lot of actuaries will be very sad :shock: :cry: :cry: . You don't want to make actuaries sad do you? Me neither! Yay! I love happy actuaries. :D

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:14 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
However, Mr. Probability could probably be used again when someone actually that stupid shows up.
8)

Curry

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:28 pm

I love you so much. So so much.

Also this thread is a great example as to why Zaller's RAS model fails.

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:
However, Mr. Probability could probably be used again when someone actually that stupid shows up.
8)


I'm glad someone picked up on that :)

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Sandro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Mickey needs to be nominated for Flame Controller of the year. Brilliant stuff.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:40 pm

I agree you don't have to get in the 170s to be a great lawyer. I don't think I'm any better at debating than people who scored in the 160s just because I scored in the 160s.

BUT if you are in the 140s you probably argue like an idiot - just sayin'.

I have talked to lawyers who are very successful who went to lower ranked law schools (tier 2s), but even they can pick up on a flawed argument in 2 seconds. Even these people, though, had to break a 155 or so. I think there's a certain competency OP just wouldn't have to succeed at this point in law school.

Craplicant150
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Postby Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Mickey... You've got some splannin to do...


First you confuse statistics with probability, and then in essence contradict your argument.

Regression Analysis huh? Contigency Fit...

I am an economics major, and have taken plenty of statistics classes. You aren't going to fool me buddy....


You use statistical test models AFTER gathering data to test to see if your hypotheisis is/was correct. This is not predictive by any means....

For example:

Ho- Drug A will not improve patients symptoms

Ha- Drug B will improve patients symptoms


Then you test the the drug on a sample, collect the data, and probably do a Z-test to determine whether to accept the null or reject the alternative.

You can make a hypothesis now, but can't test it until 2013 or 2014




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Lexaholik and 1 guest