Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nelaw2010

Bronze

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Post by nelaw2010 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:06 am

SBL wrote:
tm4217 wrote:I said I appreciate helpful responses, not joking insults from ignorant law students. I specifically asked about the initial schools and my chances and that was ALL. Not the elite schools, because they don't matter to me. Hence me naming the specific schools (low tiered or not) that I would prefer.
Considering that this guy reported the posts ITT, I'm going to say that this isn't a flame.

Dude, listen up, people telling you to retake the LSAT are being helpful. Your score is garbage. Actually, it's worse than garbage. Next to your score, a bag of garbage would look like Mila Kunis. People are trying to save you from throwing a lot of money after a HORRIBLE J.D. by telling you to retake. That's pretty much the definition of helpful.

Just because the truth hurts doesn't mean people who tell you the truth are trying to hurt you. If you can't at least bring your score up to 150-155, it would make a lot of sense to look into other professions.

^^^^^^This is the correct answer. TM4217, stop blogging and go study!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PM me if you want more LSAT help.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:12 am

SBL wrote:Next to your score, a bag of garbage would look like Mila Kunis.
:lol:

tm4217

New

Post by tm4217 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:37 am

Last edited by tm4217 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SG09

New

Post by SG09 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:50 am

With your current numbers, Law School Predictor has you as an auto-reject at New England, Suffolk, UConn, and UVM. You're a Weak Consider at UNH, Roger Williams, and Western New England.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:40 am

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:44 am

tm4217 wrote:If you get a JD from one of the schools I listed, why is it a waste of money? 4 out of 5 lawyers I know going to these schools make 6 figures. How can you say getting a JD from these schools is a "Horrible JD"? I have not once been upset with feedback about retaking (as I NOTED I AM), but when you get sarcastic like your last lame joke, its a waste of time. I've said multiple times I appreciate and thank anyone HELPING
Those attorneys you know probably graduated before 2007 and were at the top of their classes. In fact, I know a girl who placed top 5% in her class from New England College of Law. She is clerking for a bankruptcy court. She did ok because she graduated in the top 5%, had killer people skills, and an LSAT in the 160's. However, more than 70% of her classmates don't have work AT ALL.

Are those odds you are willing to face? The TOP students at those schools get OK/mediocre job while most of the rest of the class gets NOTHING, temporary document review at best. If you think you're going to be top of your class with a 3.7 in BUSINESS and a 142 on the LSAT, think again.

You might get into one of those T4's, but you're highly unlikely to do well. Cold, hard facts, bro. Face them now, or face them after 3 years of 200 K + (you're not going to get any scholarships, kid) debt.

In the meantime, check out lawschooltransparency.com and keep in mind that these figures were taken before the recession.

tm4217

New

Post by tm4217 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Last edited by tm4217 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:54 pm

tm4217 wrote:Thanks, but I wont be getting out of law school (if I go) until 2015. Therefor I think/hope this recession will be a bit less drastic.
You're right. (Edit: With luck) By going to those schools, the opportunity you will have when the recession ends will change from this:
--ImageRemoved--

To this:
(Notice that you can afford a 40oz in this scenario. You'll be living high my friend.)
Last edited by esq on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Standardized test aren't everything? You DO know that your first year courses will be graded ENTIRELY based on standardized tests don't you. So is bar admission.

Your score indicates that you are unsuited to be a lawyer, will fail your clients (if any), and will cheapen our profession.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:35 pm

For fuck's sake, it's the "LSAT" not the "LSAT's"

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:53 pm

My gpa/LSAT is very similar to you. I posted the same question a couple of months ago and was told I would be accepted into tier 4s. Ha!

I applied to a number of programs (all of them top 100) and I've been accepted. Now, I would advise retaking the LSAT or gaining work experience. If I did not have work experience, I would have been rejected from every school I applied to.

With your LSAT score you will probably get zero scholarships (directly from the universities), but there are outside scholarships and you can apply to part-time programs which means you will be graduating with little debt (assuming you work FT, go study law PT).

Do not listen to anyone who says if you do bad on the LSAT then you should seek a new profession. The LSAT has nothing to do with being an attorney. The only concern that I might have is if you can pass the BAR (the admissions committee will also have this concern), but the BAR and the LSAT are not exactly alike.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:59 pm

sparty99 wrote:My gpa/LSAT is very similar to you. I posted the same question a couple of months ago and was told I would be accepted into tier 4s. Ha!

I applied to a number of programs (all of them top 100) and I've been accepted. Now, I would advise retaking the LSAT or gaining work experience. If I did not have work experience, I would have been rejected from every school I applied to.

With your LSAT score you will probably get zero scholarships (directly from the universities), but there are outside scholarships and you can apply to part-time programs which means you will be graduating with little debt (assuming you work FT, go study law PT).

Do not listen to anyone who says if you do bad on the LSAT then you should seek a new profession. The LSAT has nothing to do with being an attorney. The only concern that I might have is if you can pass the BAR (the admissions committee will also have this concern), but the BAR and the LSAT are not exactly alike.

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:01 pm

tm4217 wrote:(with a high paying job lined up out of undergrad)
So why the fuck do you want to go to law school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emmbar53

Bronze

Post by emmbar53 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:07 pm

RockyIII wrote:
tm4217 wrote:(with a high paying job lined up out of undergrad)
So why the fuck do you want to go to law school?
Old money gets bored and wants something to do on the side?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:53 pm

sparty99 wrote:My gpa/LSAT is very similar to you. I posted the same question a couple of months ago and was told I would be accepted into tier 4s. Ha!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Sandro wrote:

Immature

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:38 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Sandro wrote:

Immature
+1 a simple strike-through would have sufficed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emmbar53

Bronze

Post by emmbar53 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:56 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Sandro wrote:

Immature

tm4217

New

Post by tm4217 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Agreed

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:34 pm

dresden doll wrote:
SBL wrote:Next to your score, a bag of garbage would look like Mila Kunis.
:lol:
I've never understood the Mila Kunis thing. Maybe it's because I like a good face.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:54 pm

tm4217 in a PM wrote:Don't post if you're going to be an ignorant prick and hide behind a screen name. Say that to all of the grad's from those schools to their face. You can stop blogging now
So optimistic coming out of Western New England College with a JD, but
You're not going anywhere with a JD from a law school accepting a 142 LSAT kid.
*Still not sure that the OP isn't just an overly emotional troll*

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tm4217

New

Post by tm4217 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:08 pm

Take it easy over there Esq...you've got everyone laughing up a storm

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Assuming that you're not trolling, you really need around a 160 for a good shot at UConn - which is really the only decent school you've listed, IMO. The other schools are absolute garbage. And I was serious about Cooley accepting you. I was shocked when my classmate was picked up with a 142. I still keep up with him on FB, kind of, because I'm interested to see how he does. His response is that his experience at Cooley is "interesting." He had the same view that you do, that it's not all about the school or the numbers, but I really feel bad for him because the odds are against him, and he decided to find out the hard way. Overall, he seems very negative about it all - probably because Cooley's turnover rate is horrible, and he is paying an arm and a leg to go to a half-ass school in the shithole that is Lansing Michigan.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:40 pm

WTF kind of work experience did you have to get over that kind of LSAT hurdle? By my (read: LSN's and LSP's) calculation the only Top 100 schools you would actually have a shot at are William Mitchell and UII which are both TTTT despite ranking (look at actual employment numbers.)
I need to get into your line of work!

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:43 pm

^
sparty99 wrote:(assuming you work FT, go study law PT).
He's talking part time programs. And in that case, yes, work experience does count for quite a bit. But when he says his LSAT was similar for this miracle of events, he has to be talking mid-upper 140's, because short of this guy being an AA/Gay/URM who wins purple hearts for a living, I just can't imagine a top hundred, even part time, ever taking a 142.
Last edited by esq on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”