Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jackjackson

New

Re: Getting Into Law School with High GPA, but Low LSAT's

Post by jackjackson » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:38 pm

this is one of the funniest threads on TLS. someone should compile stuff like this and put it in a book.

tm4217

New

Post by tm4217 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:54 pm

You're right..absolutely hilarious

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:57 pm

tm4217 wrote:You're right..absolutely hilarious
There's no way you're not a troll... if you didn't know how TLS behaves before, surely you do now?

And yes, this thread is hilarious.

tm4217

New

Post by tm4217 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:59 pm

You're right..absolutely hilarious

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:03 pm

Let it be a simulation in your LSAT(s) studying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tm4217

New

Post by tm4217 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Naw Garfield...get lost

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:00 am

DeSimone wrote:
Let it be a simulation in your LSAT(s) studying.
stimulation, maybe?

Anyway, it sounds like he'd rather lash out at people on the internet than study for the LSAT.

tm4217

New

Post by tm4217 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:01 am

We'll cya

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:11 am

tm4217 wrote:We'll cya
I look forward to seeing this guy in the Washington Post in 5 years, giving an interview about how law school is a big con.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tm4217

New

Post by tm4217 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 am

Good luck

jackjackson

New

Post by jackjackson » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:17 am

no one is saying you aren't going to be successful. if you want to go to law school- for whatever reason- go. If you have the means and/or the will to go to law school then do it and if your fine going to the school you would get into with that score do that too. Its your life and your decisions and no one- not even the well meaning posters on TLS can tell you differently.

Still, everyone on this board is trying to help you with the retake advice/go to a better school advice. An LSAT score in the 140s is an entire standard deviation below the mean for all test takers. Personally, I wouldn't want a surgeon to operate on me if they had learned how to perform surgery at a school willing to accept people measuring at below average competency/potential/whatever to be a surgeon. It is obviously an imperfect analogy, but the stakes of practicing law are often just as high.

If you indeed don't want to practice and only have a general academic interest, the retake advice still holds. As I said before, only you can figure out if LS is right for you ( the advice of others can help) . If you do want to go just to go ( which is YOUR decision), then doesn't it make sense to go to the best school you can go to? To have a thrilling academic/social and life experience?

Retake the LSAT, go to a school where the students are smart, where the professors are regional leaders and powers in their fields. Get a 160 and have part of it paid for.

Best of luck with the Retake and with figuring it all out, it is quite the process.

Have you tried posting your situation on autoadmit.com?

Craplicant150

New

Post by Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:27 am

esq wrote:Try Cooley FT....w?! It's not really a good option, but I know someone who got in with your LSAT and a 3.6 in econ.

ps. he said he wrote a solid PS to get into this "reach," but Cooley doesn't require a PS, do they? :lol:
Are you kidding me? He's a shoe in at Cooley. They will give him a 50% scholarship. He scored a 198 on the Cooley Index....

tm4217

New

Post by tm4217 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:29 am

Thanks I've heard enough from the law students that really need a life other than to go on here everyday after classes and blog....Especially how the schools listed are worthless. It's funny how they would never say that to anyone in person who goes to these schools. I obviously am retaking as I said from the start, and appreciate the helpful tips on preparing. Thank you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:30 am

jackjackson wrote:no one is saying you aren't going to be successful. if you want to go to law school- for whatever reason- go. If you have the means and/or the will to go to law school then do it and if your fine going to the school you would get into with that score do that too.
terrible advice is terrible

lolol10

Bronze

Post by lolol10 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:31 am

i am living a similar fate as you right now though my lsat was almost 10 points higher. ill let you know how it pans out for me. what was your major/ug institution?

Craplicant150

New

Post by Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:31 am

jackjackson wrote:no one is saying you aren't going to be successful. if you want to go to law school- for whatever reason- go. If you have the means and/or the will to go to law school then do it and if your fine going to the school you would get into with that score do that too. Its your life and your decisions and no one- not even the well meaning posters on TLS can tell you differently.

Still, everyone on this board is trying to help you with the retake advice/go to a better school advice. An LSAT score in the 140s is an entire standard deviation below the mean for all test takers. Personally, I wouldn't want a surgeon to operate on me if they had learned how to perform surgery at a school willing to accept people measuring at below average competency/potential/whatever to be a surgeon. It is obviously an imperfect analogy, but the stakes of practicing law are often just as high

LMAO!

Hey Doc.... I'm going to need to see those MCATZ scores before I let you operate on me....

Give me a friggin break dude... The LSAT doesn't test shit... Everyone knows it's just around to stimulate the economy...

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:34 am

tm4217 wrote:Thanks I've heard enough from the law students that really need a life other than to go on here everyday after classes and blog....Especially how the schools listed are worthless. It's funny how they would never say that to anyone in person who goes to these schools. I obviously am retaking as I said from the start, and appreciate the helpful tips on preparing. Thank you
Actually, I would have no problem telling a TTTT student that they go to a shitty school and will graduate hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with no job prospects. It's the truth.

But what I don't understand is why you post on here asking for advice and then dismiss any advice that isn't what you want to hear as "unhelpful". Your situation sucks and no one here is going to pull punches just to spare your feelings. You came looking for honest advice and you're getting it. I'm sorry if you don't like it. If you want actual solutions to your problem, then you're in the right place. If you just want to be coddled, then I suggest calling your mother.

You're also going to need much thicker skin if you're going to survive law school and a legal career.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hank Chill

Bronze

Post by Hank Chill » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:38 am

I would eat a bullet before going to any of those schools that you listed, op.

tm4217

New

Post by tm4217 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:39 am

I'm gunna call you out on that Hanky

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:40 am

Craplicant150 wrote:LMAO!

Hey Doc.... I'm going to need to see those MCATZ scores before I let you operate on me....

Give me a friggin break dude... The LSAT doesn't test shit... Everyone knows it's just around to stimulate the economy...
Apt screenname is apt.

lolol10

Bronze

Post by lolol10 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:42 am

ALSO as much insight as TLS members offer, they are by and large, the lifeless and priggish people who have ridiculously great LSAT scores and feel that its is some form of entitlement and license to berate those with "good" or "okay" scores/numbers (this false sense of superiority is also the leading reason most of these "hot shots" blow some major d during their early time at law school). all this to say, take their advice with a grain of salt. i am a very, very competitive individual and felt horrible about myself after talking to people on here about my chances. the reality is, pending on who you are (softs etc) and your retake you have the potential to get into a TOP school. this means lots of honest work on your end, literally living, breathing, eating the LSAT for a few months or longer in preparation. with your current score you arent looking at a top school but if its practicing law you desire, then you could probably still get into a program. do not be discouraged. assess yourself and your study habits then reapply your efforts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Craplicant150

New

Post by Craplicant150 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:44 am

tm4217 wrote:Thanks I've heard enough from the law students that really need a life other than to go on here everyday after classes and blog....Especially how the schools listed are worthless. It's funny how they would never say that to anyone in person who goes to these schools. I obviously am retaking as I said from the start, and appreciate the helpful tips on preparing. Thank you
This forum is full of pretentious dbags....

You are not in a horrible situation. Your GPA more than likely good enough to get you into a decent T3 program with a 150-152 LSAT.

If you really want to go to Law School next cycle then apply to Cooley, Charlotte School of Law, and Florida A&M. With a 142 LSAT those are the only three ABA schools that could admit you. My guess is you will get acceptance from 2/3.

There are plenty of successful lawyers from schoos like Cooley. Graduates who pass the bar from those schools are lawyers and often have successful careers. There truly is little difference between a school that would let you in with a 150152 or Cooley. If you score a 165+ have you can probably get into a T14 school, but there are 200 ABA schools and only 14 T14 schools. Very and let me repeat the word Very few students get into these schools. The vast majority of lawyers went to a tier 3,4 school. The majority of judges went to a tier 2,3,4 school. Obviously not at the Supreme Court level, but almost any lawyer you meet will not have attended Harvard, Yale, or Berkeley. An employer is not going to be that impressed that you went to a tier 3 school opposed to a tier 4 school. They will care about your performance at the school.

MoreoMC questions on the bar are much of an indicator that you will be a good attorney, but it is what it is. A few points here and there make a huge difference again when you go to law school the curve is brutal. Everybody is intelligent and a few points can mean the difference between being the top 10% of the class or the top 30% of the class. When employers come to interview at a number of schools they will tell career services we ONLY want applicants in the top 20% of the class. If you are not in the top 20% of the class you cannot even apply. If you were in the top 21% of the class then you can't apply. When you argue cases almost always both sides will have good arguments and put in hundreds of hours of work. Being one percent better than the other side wins the case and gets your client 5 million dollars, gets him out of jail, etc. It is a strict profession and it is far from fair or accurate, but it is what it is.

tm4217

New

Post by tm4217 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:45 am

Listen up ^..Thank you

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:49 am

lolol10 wrote:ALSO as much insight as TLS members offer, they are by and large, the lifeless and priggish people who have ridiculously great LSAT scores and feel that its is some form of entitlement and license to berate those with "good" or "okay" scores/numbers (this false sense of superiority is also the leading reason most of these "hot shots" blow some major d during their early time at law school). all this to say, take their advice with a grain of salt. i am a very, very competitive individual and felt horrible about myself after talking to people on here about my chances.
Craplicant150 wrote:This forum is full of pretentious dbags....

You are not in a horrible situation. Your GPA more than likely good enough to get you into a decent T3 program with a 150-152 LSAT.

If you really want to go to Law School next cycle then apply to Cooley, Charlotte School of Law, and Florida A&M. With a 142 LSAT those are the only three ABA schools that could admit you. My guess is you will get acceptance from 2/3.

There are plenty of successful lawyers from schoos like Cooley.
--ImageRemoved--

jackjackson

New

Post by jackjackson » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:50 am

the forum is encouraging the 150-152 LSAT score. That is what the retake/aim for better schools advice is for. I have no doubt that the OP can do it.
Last edited by jackjackson on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”