should you go to law school if you are under 21? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
optimism2012

New

should you go to law school if you are under 21?

Post by optimism2012 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:47 pm

im 19, entering in the fall

will i be a bar outcast?
Last edited by optimism2012 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Gold

Re: should you go to law school if you are under 21?

Post by dood » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:49 pm

u are not worthy of my advice.
Last edited by dood on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

optimism2012

New

Post by optimism2012 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:50 pm

dood wrote:no. not being able to drink automatically excludes you from everything.
i just cant get in to the bars
Last edited by optimism2012 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:50 pm

what a baby. defer!

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:50 pm

optimism2012 wrote:im 19, entering in the fall
depends what your options are and what you want to do. if it's go to law school or sit at home and play xbox for 6 hours a day and "work" three days a week, then go to law school. if you can get a real job and work your 40+ per week and aren't in any real rush to go, don't go. if you can get a real job but really want to go to law school, then it is up to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:52 pm

u are not worthy of my advice.
Last edited by dood on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

optimism2012

New

Post by optimism2012 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:53 pm

dood wrote:its not just bar review every thurs.
its:
the ski trip
barristers ball
your journal happy hours
the happy hours with your LRW section
meet & greets with profs
dinner/open houses with firms
moot court ceremony crap
networking receptions
thirsty thursdays
etc
etc

are they gonna check ids at these events? i doubt this

Anomaly

Bronze

Post by Anomaly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:54 pm

What are your goals? In any case, I say absolutely.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:00 pm

99.9luft wrote:what a baby. defer!
This. You are already 2 years ahead of the usual straight from undergrad applicant. What is the rush? And yes, many law schools have a drinking culture that you may be excluded from.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:03 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
99.9luft wrote:what a baby. defer!
This. You are already 2 years ahead of the usual straight from undergrad applicant. What is the rush? And yes, many law schools have a drinking culture that you may be excluded from.

+1. What's the rush on life? You're still a baby(no offense). Enjoy life before entering law school. Because after law school you wont be able to enjoy it much having to pay back law school loans. In the mean time, travel, join the peace corps, do whatever, just dont try to grow up so fast because you have your whole life ahead of you to work.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Last edited by Mickey Quicknumbers on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:Just do something like this
average softs, decent shot at HYS with retake

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:22 pm

never understood why anyone 20 and under would start law school. Strange people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Sandro wrote:never understood why anyone 20 and under would start law school. Strange people.

make that 21/22

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:25 pm

Sandro wrote:never understood why anyone 20 and under would start law school. Strange people.
asiandadmeme.jpg

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:27 pm

bbermud wrote:

make that 21/22
While I think taking a year off is a fantastic idea, I wouldnt call a 22 y/o in LS strange on the whole. Happens a bunch.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Take a few years off, I can imagine firms would be weary about hiring a 20 yr old as an SA

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

westcoastcentric

New

Post by westcoastcentric » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Live a little first, especially if your other option is a 40 hr/wk thing. Not being 21 is awkward and comes off as anti-social (even though it's obviously not your fault, you're doing your best to get there). Even when bars/events don't card, if you're drinking and you're underage, all your drinking buddies are tacitly complicit...and you seem like someone's little sibling that's hanging around.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:36 pm

optimism2012 wrote:im 19, entering in the fall

will i be a bar outcast?
Take a couple years off to solve the world energy cancer poverty crisis earthquake and come back when you can drink. You can probably get into Yale Gold, which is the super-secret Yale for prodigies.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:38 pm

No, don't do it. My roommate is 20 and a 1L at UCLA. IMHO he is too young for law school. The kid is a borderline genius (176, 4.0, graduated UG in 3 years) and most articulate person I know. BUT he is just not mature enough yet. Of course I myself am a 0L, so take this with a grain of salt, you will be no older than 20 when you need to look for your first important job (1L Summer). I can't imagine you have any significant work experience or experience interviewing, nor any of the corollary skills that come with experience (whatever those may be). Because you are going to law school to set up your future, I think you would be doing yourself a great disservice by jumping in before you're ready. Take a year or two to get some real work experience, and in your free time go live a little the way young people should. In that time you can earn some money to help with future loans as well, and there's a chance the legal market will have recovered a bit more. I'm not saying you won't succeed entering at age 19, but you will likely be in much better shape a couple of years from now, and though that might sound like a long time to you, it really is not.

lawyerorbust

New

Post by lawyerorbust » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:45 pm

I also am entering really young. I'm 21 in a month and have completed my undergrad degree in three years. Then again, I have traveled a lot, spent almost 10 years working menial jobs and I know that I want to do law. I am 100% sure, so if you feel just as confident, why postpone what you really are passionate about?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:55 pm

vag
Last edited by predent/prelaw on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Cade McNown wrote:No, don't do it. My roommate is 20 and a 1L at UCLA. IMHO he is too young for law school. The kid is a borderline genius (176, 4.0, graduated UG in 3 years) and most articulate person I know. BUT he is just not mature enough yet. Of course I myself am a 0L, so take this with a grain of salt, you will be no older than 20 when you need to look for your first important job (1L Summer). I can't imagine you have any significant work experience or experience interviewing, nor any of the corollary skills that come with experience (whatever those may be). Because you are going to law school to set up your future, I think you would be doing yourself a great disservice by jumping in before you're ready. Take a year or two to get some real work experience, and in your free time go live a little the way young people should. In that time you can earn some money to help with future loans as well, and there's a chance the legal market will have recovered a bit more. I'm not saying you won't succeed entering at age 19, but you will likely be in much better shape a couple of years from now, and though that might sound like a long time to you, it really is not.
In all honesty, I have found that you can always move forward in life (Go to UG, Go to Law School, etc.) but you never go back. I was a couple of years ahead going into high school and college, and it proved to be my undoing. I was intellectually able to handle the material, but there is so much socially and emotionally that you can only learn by living life and has just as much of an effect on your progress and success as any grade or test. I personally had a complete emotional breakdown in the middle of college which pushed me back an entire year and ruined my GPA. I am still dealing with the repercussions of that and I am 23 now. If I had simply taken a year off, either before or during college, I could have saved myself, but I didn't and I regret it every day. A large portion of it was being unable to participate in things by being underage, and having no one around me who I could relate to. In the summers where my 20 year old college friends were getting internships and networking at social events, I was going to the 711 to buy my first pack of cigarettes and then choking on one and throwing the rest away. At 21, they were all going to bars with professors and mentors, enjoying the social life of a college student and I was hanging out outside, talking with the cop about his ex-wives (His name was Barry.)
There are plenty of kids who are introverts and are happiest by themselves buried in a book and live only to tackle the next challenge, and for them, all of this is irrelevant. If you are like me, and you enjoy being with people and experiencing life outside of school and work as much as in it, then I would recommend that you take this opportunity to do something unique and fun, then come back when you can fit in better. I hear that law schools really like to see things like Peace Corps on the resume.

Sean1269

New

Post by Sean1269 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:10 pm

depends on what your options are. Law schools is a blast. For 6 of the first 15 weeks of each semester you don't really do anything except for a few legal writing assignments. If you are debating whether you want to work 40 hours per weeks week or you want to go to law school, I would say law school, it takes less than 40 hours a week most of the time. Plus you can do fun study programs in other countries. If you're worried about getting hired 1L summer, don't be. I am a few years younger than most of my classmates and did fine, at the end of the day good grades trump. So get good grades.

Alternatively, if your other option is to travel, "work" a little bit, and experience life, do that. It will be WAY WAY more fun than law school. I would lean into taking a year off though, purely for maturity reasons.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:15 pm

If your only option as a 19 year old college graduate is paying full tuition at Syracuse law school, then you might want to wait a year or two & consider retaking the LSAT.

Otherwise it depends upon the individual's experience & maturity level as well as examing other options being considered.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”