should you go to law school if you are under 21? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Re: should you go to law school if you are under 21?

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Cade McNown wrote:No, don't do it. My roommate is 20 and a 1L at UCLA. IMHO he is too young for law school. The kid is a borderline genius (176, 4.0, graduated UG in 3 years) and most articulate person I know. BUT he is just not mature enough yet. . . . . Of course I myself am a 0L, so take this with a grain of salt, you will be no older than 20 when you need to look for your first important job (1L Summer). I can't imagine you have any significant work experience or experience interviewing, nor any of the corollary skills that come with experience (whatever those may be). Because you are going to law school to set up your future, I think you would be doing yourself a great disservice by jumping in before you're ready. Take a year or two to get some real work experience, and in your free time go live a little the way young people should. In that time you can earn some money to help with future loans as well, and there's a chance the legal market will have recovered a bit more. I'm not saying you won't succeed entering at age 19, but you will likely be in much better shape a couple of years from now, and though that might sound like a long time to you, it really is not.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”