Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Cardozo sticker vs. Hofstra 25k a year (top 40% stip)

Cardozo
21
64%
Hofstra (25k)
12
36%
 
Total votes: 33

User avatar
afc1910
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby afc1910 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:48 pm

.
Last edited by afc1910 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:50 pm

lawfreak wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Like, what the fuck are you talking about? And why is this topic in this forum when there is one explicitly state "Choosing a Law School"?


There's a reason OP failed the LSAT three times.


Ha and you say that I failed the LSAT three times!? You're the one in a half ass law school ranked 17 schools lower then Cardozo. I'd think twice if I were you before bashing those of superior intelligence to you!


lol @ you invoking national USNWR rankings for schools that aren't T25 or so

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby Magnolia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:52 pm

afc1910 wrote:One, this thread is tremendously entertaining. Two, lawfreak, just because you are on an internet forum and you can insult people anonymously doesn't mean you should be so cantankerous in 90% of your posts. Three, you clearly want to go to law school at all costs, so go to Hofstra. The less debt, the better.

Four, please come back in 3 years and let us know about all the awesome job opportunities you have lined up.

User avatar
afc1910
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby afc1910 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:54 pm

.
Last edited by afc1910 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:57 pm

Someone is holding a gun to your head. You have to go to LS THIS FALL. If this is the case, go Cardozo. s

Hofstra is an absolute piece of shit. Not only that, but you've got a 60% chance of losing your scholly.

Cardozo, while not great, at least gives you some sore of chance at something.

Also, I FUCKING HATE when people say "WITH ##K SCHOLLY." I KNOW YOUR HAPPY ABOUT YOUR SCHOLARSHIP, AND YOU WANT TO BRAG. HOW ABOUT TELL US HOW MUCH IT WILL COST? FOR ALL WE KNOW a 25k scholly could mean HOFSTRA IS 5K/YEAR OR 25k/year. THats a huge difference.

Pompous dicks all over this site. Yes im having a bad day.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Dozo is a tier 1 now and it is really on the rise. Yeah, 40k+ is a lot of money, but NYC is a pretty cheap city so you'll save on cost of living expenses. Also, Dozo is the fourth best school in NYC, and not a lot of people from outside of New York want to work there, so you won't have much competition.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:Dozo is a tier 1 now and it is really on the rise. Yeah, 40k+ is a lot of money, but NYC is a pretty cheap city so you'll save on cost of living expenses. Also, Dozo is the fourth best school in NYC, and not a lot of people from outside of New York want to work there, so you won't have much competition.

win.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:Dozo is a tier 1 now and it is really on the rise. Yeah, 40k+ is a lot of money, but NYC is a pretty cheap city so you'll save on cost of living expenses. Also, Dozo is the fourth best school in NYC, and not a lot of people from outside of New York want to work there, so you won't have much competition.


what I'm hearing is that even Brooklyn Law School at sticker probably isn't a bad idea ITE, right?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:00 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Dozo is a tier 1 now and it is really on the rise. Yeah, 40k+ is a lot of money, but NYC is a pretty cheap city so you'll save on cost of living expenses. Also, Dozo is the fourth best school in NYC, and not a lot of people from outside of New York want to work there, so you won't have much competition.


what I'm hearing is that even Brooklyn Law School at sticker probably isn't a bad idea ITE, right?

this is the best time to go to law school, because law firms are using the economy as an excuse to dump off their dead weight, and now they want to hire a lot of fresh talent to revitalize their business.

User avatar
HarlandBassett
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby HarlandBassett » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:17 pm

fatduck wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Dozo is a tier 1 now and it is really on the rise. Yeah, 40k+ is a lot of money, but NYC is a pretty cheap city so you'll save on cost of living expenses. Also, Dozo is the fourth best school in NYC, and not a lot of people from outside of New York want to work there, so you won't have much competition.


what I'm hearing is that even Brooklyn Law School at sticker probably isn't a bad idea ITE, right?

this is the best time to go to law school, because law firms are using the economy as an excuse to dump off their dead weight, and now they want to hire a lot of fresh talent to revitalize their business.

the demand for law students has increased as the ABA is in the process of accrediting a few more law schools and even international law schools.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:55 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:the demand for law students has increased as the ABA is in the process of accrediting a few more law schools and even international law schools.

This. The continual addition of new schools is evidence that there is a high demand for lawyers right now.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:
HarlandBassett wrote:the demand for law students has increased as the ABA is in the process of accrediting a few more law schools and even international law schools.

This. The continual addition of new schools is evidence that there is a high demand for lawyers right now.

They wouldn't be able to raise tuition every year if the value of a JD weren't increasing.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
HarlandBassett wrote:the demand for law students has increased as the ABA is in the process of accrediting a few more law schools and even international law schools.

This. The continual addition of new schools is evidence that there is a high demand for lawyers right now.

They wouldn't be able to raise tuition every year if the value of a JD weren't increasing.


Right. I think NYC is moving the market rate to something like $190,000 before bonus next year. Can anyone confirm?

User avatar
Hank Chill
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby Hank Chill » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:Dozo is a tier 1 now and it is really on the rise. Yeah, 40k+ is a lot of money, but NYC is a pretty cheap city so you'll save on cost of living expenses. Also, Dozo is the fourth best school in NYC, and not a lot of people from outside of New York want to work there, so you won't have much competition.


Wisdom.

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:53 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
HarlandBassett wrote:the demand for law students has increased as the ABA is in the process of accrediting a few more law schools and even international law schools.

This. The continual addition of new schools is evidence that there is a high demand for lawyers right now.

They wouldn't be able to raise tuition every year if the value of a JD weren't increasing.


Right. I think NYC is moving the market rate to something like $190,000 before bonus next year. Can anyone confirm?



Image

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:02 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Right. I think NYC is moving the market rate to something like $190,000 before bonus next year. Can anyone confirm?


tis true. plus, if you somehow manage to not get BigLaw (and let's be realistic, anyone who wants BigLaw gets BigLaw) then there is always 'midlaw.' I, for one, would be satisfied with a 90k per year job.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:47 pm

At first the sarcastic answers made me laugh. Then they made me very, very sad.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:05 pm

The nice thing about going to a school like Hofstra is that you won't have to compete with all the Tier 1 students. Everyone at Fordham, NYU, and Columbia wants biglaw, so you won't even really be going up against them for mid-law, PI, etc.. If you want to work in PI or a smaller firm, it is all about networking and being committed. Things like grades or school don't even matter. Plus those smaller firms and PI people don't want the Tier 1 students because they think they are elitist. In fact, I'll bet these smaller employers stop hiring from there now that they know that Cardozo is a T1 in the new rankings. So I'd go to Hofstra.

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby Magnolia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:The nice thing about going to a school like Hofstra is that you won't have to compete with all the Tier 1 students. Everyone at Fordham, NYU, and Columbia wants biglaw, so you won't even really be going up against them for mid-law, PI, etc.. If you want to work in PI or a smaller firm, it is all about networking and being committed. Things like grades or school don't even matter. Plus those smaller firms and PI people don't want the Tier 1 students because they think they are elitist. In fact, I'll bet these smaller employers stop hiring from there now that they know that Cardozo is a T1 in the new rankings. So I'd go to Hofstra.

This is true. My firm hired one student from the top 1% of Cardozo's class two years ago. Obviously all of the V100 firms are doing the same. You should go to Hofstra so you can take all the jobs those Cardozo students leave behind when they go into biglaw.

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 pm

Magnolia wrote:
romothesavior wrote:The nice thing about going to a school like Hofstra is that you won't have to compete with all the Tier 1 students. Everyone at Fordham, NYU, and Columbia wants biglaw, so you won't even really be going up against them for mid-law, PI, etc.. If you want to work in PI or a smaller firm, it is all about networking and being committed. Things like grades or school don't even matter. Plus those smaller firms and PI people don't want the Tier 1 students because they think they are elitist. In fact, I'll bet these smaller employers stop hiring from there now that they know that Cardozo is a T1 in the new rankings. So I'd go to Hofstra.

This is true. My firm hired one student from the top 1% of Cardozo's class two years ago. Obviously all of the V100 firms are doing the same. You should go to Hofstra so you can take all the jobs those Cardozo students leave behind when they go into biglaw.


You heard it from the source, Dozo places nationally at Biglaw, and Hofstra will land you a solid gig in midlaw since they are all leaving the state. That is how 99% of graduates have a job in 9 months.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby OGR3 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Apparently Cardozo is the perfect school if you want to go into DUI defense:
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
HarlandBassett
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby HarlandBassett » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:57 pm

OGR3 wrote:Apparently Cardozo is the perfect school if you want to go into DUI defense:
--ImageRemoved--

look at that!! Cardozo commands respect even in California.

Cardozo Law = nationally portable

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:01 am

This thread got absurd. OP, what happened to Rutgers? I think based on your debt and I believe you said in your last thread that you are in-state. Go to Rutgers and work in NJ. Cardozo is not worth sticker, I know two kids personally who got full-rides and both regret it and are thinking of dropping out. And don't get me started on Hofstra man, it is a toilet. I'm sure you got into St.John's as well with money if you got into Dozo. Take St.John's with money or go to Rutgers. Honestly, neither are good options, but they aren't a death sentence, like the other two.

User avatar
Hank Chill
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby Hank Chill » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:02 am

HarlandBassett wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Apparently Cardozo is the perfect school if you want to go into DUI defense:
--ImageRemoved--

look at that!! Cardozo commands respect even in California.

Cardozo Law = nationally portable


Nationally portable, and we all know that DUI lawyers make respectable six figure salaries. Dozo mid-law ftw y'all!

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Cardozo at sticker or Hofstra with 25k yr scholly?

Postby Magnolia » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:15 am

SupraVln180 wrote:This thread got absurd. OP, what happened to Rutgers? I think based on your debt and I believe you said in your last thread that you are in-state. Go to Rutgers and work in NJ. Cardozo is not worth sticker, I know two kids personally who got full-rides and both regret it and are thinking of dropping out. And don't get me started on Hofstra man, it is a toilet. I'm sure you got into St.John's as well with money if you got into Dozo. Take St.John's with money or go to Rutgers. Honestly, neither are good options, but they aren't a death sentence, like the other two.

This is an excellent point. SJU is a great choice. One of the partners in my firm went to SJU, which means it's had biglaw placement power since the 80's. Now how many schools can say that?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 7 guests