Which path to follow... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nshapkar

Gold

Which path to follow...

Post by nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm on the fence between two paths to take: My initial plan was/is to take summer to study for retaking the LSAT and taking it in October. I have nothing going on over summer and will definitely have the time to study thoroughly. I won't ask for my hours at my job to increase so I'll be working 4, maybe 5 days, about 27-30 hours per week. Aside from studying for the LSAT I was planning on taking SPA 101, 102, 201, 202, of which I'm positive I can get A's in all four. I need 202 to graduate, and need the other to obviously understand 202. W/A's in those classes and A's in my classes this semester, save for one B, it will raise my GPA to 3.4 from 3.19. Those spanish classes are thorugh a community college and all are 2 months, three of them will be on my LSDAS gpa by the time I begin to apply, and the fourth will be too if I haven't heard from any schools by the end of the year.

However, today I was WL at a school I thought for sure I would be rejected (law school predictor gave me 9%). It's brooklyn law, and I'm considering just taking my FRE 202 winging it, getting my diploma and enrolling at Brooklyn IF I am accepted. This is where my dilemma comes in, I think I am very unlikely to get accepted, which if I'm not, I will absorb a low grade from FRE into my GPA which will lower it for the coming cycle.

What should I do, stick to my original plan (SPA classes/increase LSAT) or the gamble?
Last edited by nshapkar on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Re: Which path to follow...

Post by Fred_McGriff » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Take the middle path.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Don't go to Brooklyn even if you do get in

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:05 pm

stick to your original plan

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:11 pm

rad law wrote:Don't go to Brooklyn even if you do get in

what's so bad about brooklyn?

EDIT: never mind, thought it said "ever" not "even"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:54 pm

nshapkar wrote:

You could use either word and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:38 pm

So you applied this cycle and are graduating this spring? If that's the case your community college classes this summer won't count towards your LSAC gpa - they only count grades earned before first bachelor's degree.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 pm

ladybug89 wrote:So you applied this cycle and are graduating this spring? If that's the case your community college classes this summer won't count towards your LSAC gpa - they only count grades earned before first bachelor's degree.
This.
But, a better score on the LSAT would help your situation. I vote wait for next cycle.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Follow your heart!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:48 pm

Raise your GPA and retake the LSAT. Going to Brooklyn Law is an absurd gamble if you can avoid it. Raising your LSAC GPA by .2 and you LSAT by at least 5 points, whatever, is going to be huge for your applications in a later cycle. Just do it.

PS, figure out a way to postpone graduation, take on additional minor if you have to. Game that stuff man.

balls

New

Post by balls » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:53 pm

raise your gpa to a 3.8+, wait as many years as necessary to score a 174 + and dont settle for anything less than HYS. even if you get HYS youre probably not gonna get an OCI and be homeless.

retake.

edit: if you can improve your URM status that would also help.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
ladybug89 wrote:So you applied this cycle and are graduating this spring? If that's the case your community college classes this summer won't count towards your LSAC gpa - they only count grades earned before first bachelor's degree.
This.
But, a better score on the LSAT would help your situation. I vote wait for next cycle.

No, I will be 11 credits short. I need my language credit (FRE202) and two electives. Then I thought about it and I haven't studied french in a year and a half, so at best I could pull a C. Then it hit me, do spanish and that will put 16 credits of A's towadrs my GPA and fulfill my requirements.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:49 pm

balls wrote:raise your gpa to a 3.8+, wait as many years as necessary to score a 174 + and dont settle for anything less than HYS. even if you get HYS youre probably not gonna get an OCI and be homeless.

retake.

I'm a first generation immigrant from former communist Bulgaria, first to go to college in my family, dirt poor, working since I've been twelve to help my single mother get by? Does that count for anything?

The only law school i'm considering for next cycle is Chuck Norris Law, it's so exclusive they couldn't put it in the rankings, let alone border Yale on the same page.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:55 pm

RockyIII wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

You could use either word and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

In the context of my original post, it does.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:57 pm

nice Balls, lol.

balls

New

Post by balls » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:04 pm

nshapkar wrote:
balls wrote:raise your gpa to a 3.8+, wait as many years as necessary to score a 174 + and dont settle for anything less than HYS. even if you get HYS youre probably not gonna get an OCI and be homeless.

retake.

I'm a first generation immigrant from former communist Bulgaria, first to go to college in my family, dirt poor, working since I've been twelve to help my single mother get by? Does that count for anything?

The only law school i'm considering for next cycle is Chuck Norris Law, it's so exclusive they couldn't put it in the rankings, let alone border Yale on the same page.
unfortunately, law school adcoms frown upon communism, so youre really going to need to demonstrate the reason you immigrated was to be a turbo capitalist - i would not mention caring for your mother in your ps.

at this point, you really need to step back and really reflect. reflect hard. is law school for you? even if chuck norris law was on the table with $$$, the market in winnersville is in the toilet. i would seriously consider creating an account on POF and sending your resume to legalzoom.com where you might be able to climb the corporate ladder as an alternative to law school.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:08 pm

balls wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

retake.

unfortunately, law school adcoms frown upon communism, so youre really going to need to demonstrate the reason you immigrated was to be a turbo capitalist - i would not mention caring for your mother in your ps.

at this point, you really need to step back and really reflect. reflect hard. is law school for you? even if chuck norris law was on the table with $$$, the market in winnersville is in the toilet. i would seriously consider creating an account on POF and sending your resume to legalzoom.com where you might be able to climb the corporate ladder as an alternative to law school.

what would I do without you?

ucbexp

New

Post by ucbexp » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:49 am

Study this summer and retake. You're allowing yourself to settle for what is a *glimmer* of hope to pay sticker at the 5th best law school on the island of Manhattan.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”