Which path to follow...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Which path to follow...

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm on the fence between two paths to take: My initial plan was/is to take summer to study for retaking the LSAT and taking it in October. I have nothing going on over summer and will definitely have the time to study thoroughly. I won't ask for my hours at my job to increase so I'll be working 4, maybe 5 days, about 27-30 hours per week. Aside from studying for the LSAT I was planning on taking SPA 101, 102, 201, 202, of which I'm positive I can get A's in all four. I need 202 to graduate, and need the other to obviously understand 202. W/A's in those classes and A's in my classes this semester, save for one B, it will raise my GPA to 3.4 from 3.19. Those spanish classes are thorugh a community college and all are 2 months, three of them will be on my LSDAS gpa by the time I begin to apply, and the fourth will be too if I haven't heard from any schools by the end of the year.

However, today I was WL at a school I thought for sure I would be rejected (law school predictor gave me 9%). It's brooklyn law, and I'm considering just taking my FRE 202 winging it, getting my diploma and enrolling at Brooklyn IF I am accepted. This is where my dilemma comes in, I think I am very unlikely to get accepted, which if I'm not, I will absorb a low grade from FRE into my GPA which will lower it for the coming cycle.

What should I do, stick to my original plan (SPA classes/increase LSAT) or the gamble?
Last edited by nshapkar on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby Fred_McGriff » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Take the middle path.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Don't go to Brooklyn even if you do get in

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby northwood » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:05 pm

stick to your original plan

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:11 pm

rad law wrote:Don't go to Brooklyn even if you do get in



what's so bad about brooklyn?


EDIT: never mind, thought it said "ever" not "even"

User avatar
RockyIII
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby RockyIII » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:54 pm

nshapkar wrote:
rad law wrote:Don't go to Brooklyn even if you do get in



what's so bad about brooklyn?


EDIT: never mind, thought it said "ever" not "even"


You could use either word and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

User avatar
ladybug89
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby ladybug89 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:38 pm

So you applied this cycle and are graduating this spring? If that's the case your community college classes this summer won't count towards your LSAC gpa - they only count grades earned before first bachelor's degree.

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby Leira7905 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 pm

ladybug89 wrote:So you applied this cycle and are graduating this spring? If that's the case your community college classes this summer won't count towards your LSAC gpa - they only count grades earned before first bachelor's degree.


This.
But, a better score on the LSAT would help your situation. I vote wait for next cycle.

User avatar
ArthurDigbySellers
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Follow your heart!

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby dissonance1848 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:48 pm

Raise your GPA and retake the LSAT. Going to Brooklyn Law is an absurd gamble if you can avoid it. Raising your LSAC GPA by .2 and you LSAT by at least 5 points, whatever, is going to be huge for your applications in a later cycle. Just do it.

PS, figure out a way to postpone graduation, take on additional minor if you have to. Game that stuff man.

balls
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby balls » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:53 pm

raise your gpa to a 3.8+, wait as many years as necessary to score a 174 + and dont settle for anything less than HYS. even if you get HYS youre probably not gonna get an OCI and be homeless.

retake.

edit: if you can improve your URM status that would also help.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
ladybug89 wrote:So you applied this cycle and are graduating this spring? If that's the case your community college classes this summer won't count towards your LSAC gpa - they only count grades earned before first bachelor's degree.


This.
But, a better score on the LSAT would help your situation. I vote wait for next cycle.



No, I will be 11 credits short. I need my language credit (FRE202) and two electives. Then I thought about it and I haven't studied french in a year and a half, so at best I could pull a C. Then it hit me, do spanish and that will put 16 credits of A's towadrs my GPA and fulfill my requirements.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:49 pm

balls wrote:raise your gpa to a 3.8+, wait as many years as necessary to score a 174 + and dont settle for anything less than HYS. even if you get HYS youre probably not gonna get an OCI and be homeless.

retake.

edit: if you can improve your URM status that would also help.



I'm a first generation immigrant from former communist Bulgaria, first to go to college in my family, dirt poor, working since I've been twelve to help my single mother get by? Does that count for anything?

The only law school i'm considering for next cycle is Chuck Norris Law, it's so exclusive they couldn't put it in the rankings, let alone border Yale on the same page.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:55 pm

RockyIII wrote:
nshapkar wrote:
rad law wrote:Don't go to Brooklyn even if you do get in



what's so bad about brooklyn?


EDIT: never mind, thought it said "ever" not "even"


You could use either word and it wouldn't make much of a difference.



In the context of my original post, it does.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby dissonance1848 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:57 pm

nice Balls, lol.

balls
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby balls » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:04 pm

nshapkar wrote:
balls wrote:raise your gpa to a 3.8+, wait as many years as necessary to score a 174 + and dont settle for anything less than HYS. even if you get HYS youre probably not gonna get an OCI and be homeless.

retake.

edit: if you can improve your URM status that would also help.



I'm a first generation immigrant from former communist Bulgaria, first to go to college in my family, dirt poor, working since I've been twelve to help my single mother get by? Does that count for anything?

The only law school i'm considering for next cycle is Chuck Norris Law, it's so exclusive they couldn't put it in the rankings, let alone border Yale on the same page.


unfortunately, law school adcoms frown upon communism, so youre really going to need to demonstrate the reason you immigrated was to be a turbo capitalist - i would not mention caring for your mother in your ps.

at this point, you really need to step back and really reflect. reflect hard. is law school for you? even if chuck norris law was on the table with $$$, the market in winnersville is in the toilet. i would seriously consider creating an account on POF and sending your resume to legalzoom.com where you might be able to climb the corporate ladder as an alternative to law school.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:08 pm

balls wrote:
nshapkar wrote:
balls wrote:raise your gpa to a 3.8+, wait as many years as necessary to score a 174 + and dont settle for anything less than HYS. even if you get HYS youre probably not gonna get an OCI and be homeless.

retake.

edit: if you can improve your URM status that would also help.



I'm a first generation immigrant from former communist Bulgaria, first to go to college in my family, dirt poor, working since I've been twelve to help my single mother get by? Does that count for anything?

The only law school i'm considering for next cycle is Chuck Norris Law, it's so exclusive they couldn't put it in the rankings, let alone border Yale on the same page.


unfortunately, law school adcoms frown upon communism, so youre really going to need to demonstrate the reason you immigrated was to be a turbo capitalist - i would not mention caring for your mother in your ps.

at this point, you really need to step back and really reflect. reflect hard. is law school for you? even if chuck norris law was on the table with $$$, the market in winnersville is in the toilet. i would seriously consider creating an account on POF and sending your resume to legalzoom.com where you might be able to climb the corporate ladder as an alternative to law school.



what would I do without you?

ucbexp
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:37 am

Re: Which path to follow...

Postby ucbexp » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:49 am

Study this summer and retake. You're allowing yourself to settle for what is a *glimmer* of hope to pay sticker at the 5th best law school on the island of Manhattan.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CheyenneGarrett17 and 6 guests