penn state on the rise

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trayball23

penn state on the rise

Postby trayball23 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:55 pm

penn state has gone from unranked in 05 to number 60 up 12 from last year... any guess if it will be top 50 soon?

fatduck

Re: penn state on the rise

Postby fatduck » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:55 pm

penn state doesn't have a law school

trayball23

Postby trayball23 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:59 pm

i wonder who sent that very nice acceptance letter to my house then? hmmmm

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:00 am

Ashton Kutcher

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:04 am

trayball23 wrote:penn state has gone from unranked in 05 to number 60 up 12 from last year... any guess if it will be top 50 soon?

chances are it will eventually top out in the mid 50's or 40's. It's ont he same path as GMU was in the earlier part of the decade. GMU went from unraked to top 50 in no time and everyone saw it as "a school on the rise". Yeah, PSU is gradually rising, but keep it mind last year it actually dropped from it's previous year (2009). What could help PSU is a steady decline by Pitt & Villanova (which both seem like their heading in the opposite direction, ranking wise). If PSU could establish itself in the 40's, it woudl cleraly be the dominant PA school and it would attract a lot of ppl from Pitt/Nova/Temple. This doesn't even factor the seemingly likely increase in Pitt and Temple tuition because of the new proposed bill to cut state funding to public schools (which PSU Law school isn't affected by interestingly enough). Idk, things could get interesting, but PSU still has another 5-10 years before it can get to that point.

zonto

Postby zonto » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 am

If George Mason is a school on the rise then why didn't they feed me lunch at the ASD? :evil:

emmbar53

Postby emmbar53 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:00 am

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 am

zonto wrote:If George Mason is a school on the rise then why didn't they feed me lunch at the ASD? :evil:

Conservatives don't believe in a free lunch.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:04 am

The trolling that will result from these rankings changes are going to make the next few weeks unbearable.

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
zonto wrote:If George Mason is a school on the rise then why didn't they feed me lunch at the ASD? :evil:

--ImageRemoved--

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:16 am

pjo wrote:
trayball23 wrote:penn state has gone from unranked in 05 to number 60 up 12 from last year... any guess if it will be top 50 soon?

chances are it will eventually top out in the mid 50's or 40's. It's ont he same path as GMU was in the earlier part of the decade. GMU went from unraked to top 50 in no time and everyone saw it as "a school on the rise". Yeah, PSU is gradually rising, but keep it mind last year it actually dropped from it's previous year (2009). What could help PSU is a steady decline by Pitt & Villanova (which both seem like their heading in the opposite direction, ranking wise). If PSU could establish itself in the 40's, it woudl cleraly be the dominant PA school and it would attract a lot of ppl from Pitt/Nova/Temple. This doesn't even factor the seemingly likely increase in Pitt and Temple tuition because of the new proposed bill to cut state funding to public schools (which PSU Law school isn't affected by interestingly enough). Idk, things could get interesting, but PSU still has another 5-10 years before it can get to that point.

Dickinson is a Harrisburg/Lancaster/York law school. They can the game the rankings, but I seriously doubt they can overtake the Philly/Pittsburgh markets.

trayball23

Postby trayball23 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:23 am

the new building looks amazing... seems like a real waste of resources thought to have 2 campuses so far away from eachother?

gewbert

Postby gewbert » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:59 am

I'm a 1L at PSU: DSL and it's great. It's definitely a school on the rise. Yes, we went "down" in the rankings last year, but that's because we went from one tie to another tie, so really we didn't drop that much.

It's actually not a waste of resources to have two campuses, it's actually really nice. The UP campus (up in State College) is much larger and attracts those who want the big school experience, whereas the Carlisle campus attracts those who want a quieter atmosphere. And the classes (for the most part) are teleconferenced between the campuses so you can take classes with professors who work in UP and vice-versa.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:09 am

trayball23 wrote:the new building looks amazing... seems like a real waste of resources thought to have 2 campuses so far away from eachother?

What gewbert said...

And, both buildings are completely paid for with no debt and are really energy efficient. Neither building is huge, so it's not really a waste of space or resources in my opinion.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:12 am

pjo wrote:

chances are it will eventually top out in the mid 50's or 40's. It's ont he same path as GMU was in the earlier part of the decade. GMU went from unraked to top 50 in no time and everyone saw it as "a school on the rise". Yeah, PSU is gradually rising, but keep it mind last year it actually dropped from it's previous year (2009). What could help PSU is a steady decline by Pitt & Villanova (which both seem like their heading in the opposite direction, ranking wise). If PSU could establish itself in the 40's, it woudl cleraly be the dominant PA school and it would attract a lot of ppl from Pitt/Nova/Temple.

lol'd at this.

pjo wrote:This doesn't even factor the seemingly likely increase in Pitt and Temple tuition because of the new proposed bill to cut state funding to public schools (which PSU Law school isn't affected by interestingly enough).

True.. so now Temple will offer in-states better career prospects at 60% of the cost of PSU, instead of better career prospects for less than half the cost.

pjo

Postby pjo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 am

Wholigan wrote:
pjo wrote:

chances are it will eventually top out in the mid 50's or 40's. It's ont he same path as GMU was in the earlier part of the decade. GMU went from unraked to top 50 in no time and everyone saw it as "a school on the rise". Yeah, PSU is gradually rising, but keep it mind last year it actually dropped from it's previous year (2009). What could help PSU is a steady decline by Pitt & Villanova (which both seem like their heading in the opposite direction, ranking wise). If PSU could establish itself in the 40's, it woudl cleraly be the dominant PA school and it would attract a lot of ppl from Pitt/Nova/Temple.

lol'd at this.

pjo wrote:This doesn't even factor the seemingly likely increase in Pitt and Temple tuition because of the new proposed bill to cut state funding to public schools (which PSU Law school isn't affected by interestingly enough).

True.. so now Temple will offer in-states better career prospects at 60% of the cost of PSU, instead of better career prospects for less than half the cost.

Fair enough with the point about Temple. Yes, even with the cut, Temple will still be cheaper. The point I was trying to adress though is that PA doesn't have a single school that dominates the state. If one of the PA schools could break into the top 50 and stay there, I think it would attract a lot of ppl who would otherwise have gone to another PA school. I also said this is something that would take 5-10 YEARS to occur. Obviously, a one year change in rankings isn't going to change much. Maybe PSU will be this school, maybe not. I was just stating the situation. And FWIW, Villanova will probably continue to drop, and chances are Pitt will stay in the 70's, low 60's.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:41 am

pjo wrote:Fair enough with the point about Temple. Yes, even with the cut, Temple will still be cheaper. The point I was trying to adress though is that PA doesn't have a single school that dominates the state. If one of the PA schools could break into the top 50 and stay there, I think it would attract a lot of ppl who would otherwise have gone to another PA school. I also said this is something that would take 5-10 YEARS to occur. Obviously, a one year change in rankings isn't going to change much. Maybe PSU will be this school, maybe not. I was just stating the situation. And FWIW, Villanova will probably continue to drop, and chances are Pitt will stay in the 70's, low 60's.

It seems to me that law schools generally have a regional impact, not a statewide impact at the T2/lower T1 level. Even if for argument's sake PSU can get into the 40's and stay there for 10 years, it's still not going to be in Philly or Pittsburgh's region. It's over 3 hours from Philly. Why would anyone care that it's in the same state? UMD is closer to Philly than PSU and it's been ranked in the 40's for a while now, but you'd almost certainly be better off going to Temple, Nova or Rutgers Camden if you want to work in Philly despite the rankings difference.

jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor

Postby jne381 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:04 am

I am glad to see Penn State get the rise because it bodes well for MSU, which just broke into the top 100.

zonto

Postby zonto » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:25 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

I love you.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:32 am

Yeah, but then you have to live there. Yeuch.

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:36 am

The other thing Penn State has going for it that GMU (and for that matter, Pitt and Temple too) don't is lay name recognition...especially in top govt jobs, this counts for a lot.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:16 am

rehtulx wrote:The other thing Penn State has going for it that GMU (and for that matter, Pitt and Temple too) don't is lay name recognition...especially in top govt jobs, this counts for a lot.

Yes! Lawyers are notorious for hiring based on how big of a football program your school has, especially in big gov't. I heard Princeton Law's program is really on the rise since they beat Harvard to qualify for March Madness!

rehtulx

Postby rehtulx » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Man, Temple students are defensive now that Penn State outranks them.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:01 pm

I don't go to Temple.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Well the battle of whether Penn State or Temple is better will be decided in about a minute when the game ends

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:11 pm

That was exciting. Temple wins. No more fighting

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”