2012 US News & World Report Law School Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:27 am

dr123 wrote:T-14 has been the same since forever, everything else is based on the reputation in the region. UNSWR doesnt change regional reputations


Ironic, because the T14 is arguably east-coast, NYC biased lawl.

Also T14 = national, everything else = regional thing is straight moronic.

User avatar
voltage88
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby voltage88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:30 am

rad law wrote:
dr123 wrote:T-14 has been the same since forever, everything else is based on the reputation in the region. UNSWR doesnt change regional reputations


Ironic, because the T14 is arguably east-coast, NYC biased lawl.

Also T14 = national, everything else = regional thing is straight moronic.


Yeah. There are definitely schools worth going to outside of the "T14"

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:30 am

voltage88 wrote:I think it would be foolish to completely ignore the ramifications of the US News rankings since a lot of people in the legal field do care about it...but don't let it make one of the biggest decisions of your life.


Most people outside of law students, 0Ls, and law school deans don't read them. Most practicing lawyers don't read them and have to idea what they are. Looking at where people get jobs is actually a better idea. But at the top of the rankings, rankings do a decent job of correlating to job-getting power.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby dr123 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:33 am

voltage88 wrote:
rad law wrote:
dr123 wrote:T-14 has been the same since forever, everything else is based on the reputation in the region. UNSWR doesnt change regional reputations


Ironic, because the T14 is arguably east-coast, NYC biased lawl.

Also T14 = national, everything else = regional thing is straight moronic.


Yeah. There are definitely schools worth going to outside of the "T14"


I never said "not worth going to" There are T3 schools worth going to in my opinion I was just saying that outside of the top schools most schools have regional reps, and some of those have larger regional reps than others ie state/city vs general part of the country

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby gothamm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:34 am

no one has asked the question that's on EVERYONE'S mind



will UC Irvine Get a ranking this year :?: :!:

User avatar
smittelman6
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:08 am

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby smittelman6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 am

rad law wrote:
voltage88 wrote:I think it would be foolish to completely ignore the ramifications of the US News rankings since a lot of people in the legal field do care about it...but don't let it make one of the biggest decisions of your life.


Most people outside of law students, 0Ls, and law school deans don't read them. Most practicing lawyers don't read them and have to idea what they are. Looking at where people get jobs is actually a better idea. But at the top of the rankings, rankings do a decent job of correlating to job-getting power.


i won't argue that they are clearly more important for students than for lawyers, but to say that "most practicing lawyers... have no idea what they are" is absolutely absurd. of course they know what they are. and don't think for a second that for schools like uc hastings vs. uc davis the rankings won't make a difference... that's ridiculous-- of course one regional school being twenty spots higher than another regional competitor makes a difference.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:19 am

smittelman6 wrote:
rad law wrote:
voltage88 wrote:I think it would be foolish to completely ignore the ramifications of the US News rankings since a lot of people in the legal field do care about it...but don't let it make one of the biggest decisions of your life.


Most people outside of law students, 0Ls, and law school deans don't read them. Most practicing lawyers don't read them and have to idea what they are. Looking at where people get jobs is actually a better idea. But at the top of the rankings, rankings do a decent job of correlating to job-getting power.


i won't argue that they are clearly more important for students than for lawyers, but to say that "most practicing lawyers... have no idea what they are" is absolutely absurd. of course they know what they are. and don't think for a second that for schools like uc hastings vs. uc davis the rankings won't make a difference... that's ridiculous-- of course one regional school being twenty spots higher than another regional competitor makes a difference.


That doesn't mean that lawyers read the ranking to figure that out, bro. The rankings reflect lawyers' already-existing perceptions, generally.

Ask a non-hiring partner to name the T14. I dare you. And if a given lawyer can name the T14, $5 says it's because those are the schools his biglaw firm recruits from. It just so happens that the rankings for the top 25 or so schools tend to correlate pretty well to prestigious employment. But it's not because of the rankings. Did it occur to you that the rankings might reflect reality, at least somewhat?

bellamy
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby bellamy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 am

This is clearly true. My father is a lawyer at a ( for this area ) a medium sized firm (50 lawyers) and asked a number of his partners to rank the top ten law schools .Most never even came close. The only consistent pattern in addition to Harvard being first was that the school they went to was ranked higher than USNWR would rank it. Unless you are on the hiring committee a practicing lawyer has only a vague idea and typically doesn't care

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 am

bellamy wrote:This is clearly true. My father is a lawyer at a ( for this area ) a medium sized firm (50 lawyers) and asked a number of his partners to rank the top ten law schools .Most never even came close. The only consistent pattern in addition to Harvard being first was that the school they went to was ranked higher than USNWR would rank it. Unless you are on the hiring committee a practicing lawyer has only a vague idea and typically doesn't care


Even people hiring don't really know, in my experience. All they know is generally:

UVA > or = Duke > Vandy > UF > or = FSU > Stetson

Then they slot BC/BU/GW/WUSTL kids around in there somewhere.

User avatar
smittelman6
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:08 am

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby smittelman6 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:07 pm

rad law wrote:
smittelman6 wrote:
rad law wrote:
voltage88 wrote:I think it would be foolish to completely ignore the ramifications of the US News rankings since a lot of people in the legal field do care about it...but don't let it make one of the biggest decisions of your life.


Most people outside of law students, 0Ls, and law school deans don't read them. Most practicing lawyers don't read them and have to idea what they are. Looking at where people get jobs is actually a better idea. But at the top of the rankings, rankings do a decent job of correlating to job-getting power.


i won't argue that they are clearly more important for students than for lawyers, but to say that "most practicing lawyers... have no idea what they are" is absolutely absurd. of course they know what they are. and don't think for a second that for schools like uc hastings vs. uc davis the rankings won't make a difference... that's ridiculous-- of course one regional school being twenty spots higher than another regional competitor makes a difference.


That doesn't mean that lawyers read the ranking to figure that out, bro. The rankings reflect lawyers' already-existing perceptions, generally.

Ask a non-hiring partner to name the T14. I dare you. And if a given lawyer can name the T14, $5 says it's because those are the schools his biglaw firm recruits from. It just so happens that the rankings for the top 25 or so schools tend to correlate pretty well to prestigious employment. But it's not because of the rankings. Did it occur to you that the rankings might reflect reality, at least somewhat?


you're proving my point. the rankings are important to me, PERSONALLY (and don't need to be important to you, because honestly i don't care), because they do (generally) reflect already-existing perceptions and/or reality. those things are important--- obviously i want to go to a school that is perceived by other lawyers as being a good school... and if i had to choose, obviously i would pick the one that is perceived as being better than another.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:06 pm

smittelman6 wrote:you're proving my point. the rankings are important to me, PERSONALLY (and don't need to be important to you, because honestly i don't care), because they do (generally) reflect already-existing perceptions and/or reality. those things are important--- obviously i want to go to a school that is perceived by other lawyers as being a good school... and if i had to choose, obviously i would pick the one that is perceived as being better than another.


Did not prove your point. The post we were going off of said "I think it would be foolish to completely ignore the ramifications of the US News rankings since a lot of people in the legal field do care about it...but don't let it make one of the biggest decisions of your life." I already showed how most legal professionals don't care about the rankings. But I never made an opinion as to whether the rankings should be ignored.

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:53 pm

glitched wrote:does anyone read new yorker? malcolm gladwell had an interesting article on US news ranking.
I actually just read that. I liked the story about Penn State Law being ranked as mediocre by a group of lawyers before Penn State had a law school. Your rank is determined by your reputation, which is determined by your rank.

I thought the rankings they made up that included the price of tuition were sort of useless though. It doesn't matter that school X is cheaper than Harvard if going there will mean you earn far less money over the course of your career.

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby DallasCowboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 pm

HYSD!

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby DeeCee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:44 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:
glitched wrote:does anyone read new yorker? malcolm gladwell had an interesting article on US news ranking.
I actually just read that. I liked the story about Penn State Law being ranked as mediocre by a group of lawyers before Penn State had a law school. Your rank is determined by your reputation, which is determined by your rank.

I thought the rankings they made up that included the price of tuition were sort of useless though. It doesn't matter that school X is cheaper than Harvard if going there will mean you earn far less money over the course of your career.


Is the article available online?

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby beachbum » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:14 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:HYSD!


... +1

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby Pricer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:17 pm


User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby DeeCee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Pricer wrote:http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_gladwell


thanks!

subgdubb
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby subgdubb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Out of fourteen thousand variants, there are approximately six categories with four subcategories from which the statistical geniuses at US NEWS & WORLD REPORT will weight the rankings this year, based, of course, on a standard equitable and highly rational preponderance of the evidence standard. It is:

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:28 pm

glitched wrote:does anyone read new yorker? malcolm gladwell had an interesting article on US news ranking.


Bumping an old thread, but I just read Gladwell's article and really liked it. He echoed my thoughts that using how much money a school spends as a positive criteria to rank them by is absurd.

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby LAWLAW09 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Link to download Gladwell's article: http://www.ctcl.org/news/order-of-things

User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:53 pm

gothamm wrote:no one has asked the question that's on EVERYONE'S mind



will UC Irvine Get a ranking this year :?: :!:


No.

You have to be ABA approved to be eligible for a ranking. And the process takes three school years, no matter how good your numbers are, if I'm not mistaken.

I could be wrong about this, though. Someone else feel free to chime in.

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby neonx » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Source: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/c ... oming-soon

Best Graduate School Rankings Are Coming Soon

The new graduate school rankings are less than three weeks away.

Our new Best Graduate Schools rankings will be published online on March 15, 2011 on usnews.com. Highlights of the rankings will be published in the Best Graduate Schools 2012 edition newsstand guidebook, on sale April 5, 2011. The most comprehensive version of the upcoming Best Graduate Schools, including all the extended rankings and the most comprehensive data, will be available online only through the all-new U.S. News Graduate School Compass.

What can you expect in mid-March? As in the past, we will have new rankings in the five largest professional graduate school disciplines: business, law, education, engineering, and medicine, as well as the various specialties associated with each of those five broad disciplines.

[ . . .]

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby justadude55 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:19 pm

rad law wrote:
dr123 wrote:T-14 has been the same since forever, everything else is based on the reputation in the region. UNSWR doesnt change regional reputations


Ironic, because the T14 is arguably east-coast, NYC biased lawl.

Also T14 = national, everything else = regional thing is straight moronic.

IDK if it's biased. I think much of it is because our country was only the east coast for sometime, and that's where all the Ivy's are who have a 100 years more of an alumni base on pretty much everyone else.

With that, Stanford, Chicago, Michigan and Northwestern are all non-North Eastern schools, and when you look at 15-50, the East Coast only has a handful of schools compared with the Midwest and West Coast.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby danquayle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:49 pm

justadude55 wrote:
rad law wrote:
dr123 wrote:T-14 has been the same since forever, everything else is based on the reputation in the region. UNSWR doesnt change regional reputations


Ironic, because the T14 is arguably east-coast, NYC biased lawl.

Also T14 = national, everything else = regional thing is straight moronic.

IDK if it's biased. I think much of it is because our country was only the east coast for sometime, and that's where all the Ivy's are who have a 100 years more of an alumni base on pretty much everyone else.

With that, Stanford, Chicago, Michigan and Northwestern are all non-North Eastern schools, and when you look at 15-50, the East Coast only has a handful of schools compared with the Midwest and West Coast.


No, I agree with that. The academically elite universities are very much a result of history. Look at the oldest universities first, and then the most populous metros as of 80-100 years ago. Neither Michigan or Chicago would have grown reputation wise had they not had large populations to draw from. And Stanford/Berkeley had the same advantage, except possibly even more so because it was so remote from the rest of the country as to be the only viable option for many San Fransisco/Northern California students.

It's pretty evident that the list of elite universities comprise those universities that are oldest, and then those universities with the largest population bases as of the 1940s, which is when going to university started becoming more mainstream.

I'm only surprised William and Mary, Rutgers and Case Western aren't stronger. Those are the only universities that really buck the trend.
Last edited by danquayle on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:51 pm

justadude55 wrote:
rad law wrote:
dr123 wrote:T-14 has been the same since forever, everything else is based on the reputation in the region. UNSWR doesnt change regional reputations


Ironic, because the T14 is arguably east-coast, NYC biased lawl.

Also T14 = national, everything else = regional thing is straight moronic.

IDK if it's biased. I think much of it is because our country was only the east coast for sometime, and that's where all the Ivy's are who have a 100 years more of an alumni base on pretty much everyone else.

With that, Stanford, Chicago, Michigan and Northwestern are all non-North Eastern schools, and when you look at 15-50, the East Coast only has a handful of schools compared with the Midwest and West Coast.


Thats the bias.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest