2012 US News & World Report Law School Rankings Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CMDantes

Bronze

Re: 2011 US NEWS RANKINGS RELEASED!!!!!

Post by CMDantes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:06 am

rad law wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
CMDantes wrote:So excited about UT being a t14.
+1...though I'm likely not going there it's great news for the school
Seriously. They are now a national school as opposed to a regional school now that they are in the T14. Also way more employers will come to OCI.
Unwarranted sarcasm noted. I wasn't implying any of the above, just excited about my chosen law school moving up in the rankings. I know they're relatively meaningless, but I get to tell my parents it's #14 now.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:16 am

CMDantes wrote:
rad law wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
Seriously. They are now a national school as opposed to a regional school now that they are in the T14. Also way more employers will come to OCI.
Unwarranted sarcasm noted. I wasn't implying any of the above, just excited about my chosen law school moving up in the rankings. I know they're relatively meaningless, but I get to tell my parents it's #14 now.
Come on now, you know that they'll still be disappointed that you didn't make it into the t13.

harrijust86

Bronze

Post by harrijust86 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:20 am

2011Law wrote:
CMDantes wrote:
rad law wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote: +1...though I'm likely not going there it's great news for the school
Come on now, you know that they'll still be disappointed that you didn't make it into the t13.
WIN

slacker

New

Re: 2012 US News & World Report Law School Rankings

Post by slacker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:39 am

Do any sites have the new 25th-75th and medians listed?

TIMEATELL

New

Re: 2012 US News Rankings

Post by TIMEATELL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:40 am

Cal4future wrote:Wow @ Davis.
+1...Davis is not messing around. What's going on with Emory? I would hate to be that dean right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

harrijust86

Bronze

Post by harrijust86 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 am

slacker wrote:Do any sites have the new 25th-75th and medians listed?
+1

Asked this in the real thread that everyone has been talking in (too bad it's in the wrong forum category so it wont be stickied), and thus far nobody has.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:43 am

harrijust86 wrote:
+1

Asked this in the real thread that everyone has been talking in (too bad it's in the wrong forum category so it wont be stickied), and thus far nobody has.
+2, I want to see.

icpb

Bronze

Post by icpb » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:45 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:
+1

+2, I want to see.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=150329

harrijust86

Bronze

Post by harrijust86 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:50 am

icpb wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:
+1

+2, I want to see.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=150329
Well this guy has the data, now we just need to expand the list to more than the t14 (not all of us are that special of snowflakes)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:49 am

TIMEATELL wrote:
+1...Davis is not messing around. What's going on with Emory? I would hate to be that dean right now.
I would hate to be the dean at St. John's

How did Seton Hall move up so much if their job prospects are so shitty?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:56 am

Wow! Initial thoughts:
1. WOW! UT in the T14!
2. Berkeley dropped to 9th. Woopsies.

seriously????

Bronze

Post by seriously???? » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:56 am

handlesthetruth wrote:Bold prediction: Indiana a T20 within a few years

Giving lots of money + solid, growing, stable indy economy = good news for iu
giving lots of money to USNews.

if you talk to their admissions, they will tell you that Indy is not their major market.
And it is good that Indy has a stable economy, 6IUB grads got biglaw there, which has to be better than the 1 in DC, 1 in, NYC, 1 in CHI, 1 in Abu Dhabi and 1 in Minnesota. I can see how it is a deadheat with ND, only slightly behind WUSTL, Minn, and dominating UIUC, BC, Fordham, Emory, and WandM. Who knows, one day, it may even have better placement than IU-Indianapolis.

dumbass

thissideofsteinway

New

Post by thissideofsteinway » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:12 am

fakemoney wrote:I just realized...

That 1L from the NYLS thread is gonna be pretty pissed that CUNY jumped 14 spots ahead of New York Law
:D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am

Employment prospects havent budged. FYI.

FAR262

New

Post by FAR262 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:24 am

TIMEATELL wrote:
Emory deserves it for their horrible placement right now.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:33 am

What was Emory's old rank?

corvettekid

New

Post by corvettekid » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:44 am

Law school rankings 1-100 as posted earlier.

This link was posted a few pages ago on this thread, it is all I have to go by, so if it is inaccurate someone please let us know.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?p=607

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:53 am

The only score they use that matters is lawyer assessment. I'm not willing to pay the money to see it though.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:54 am

CMDantes wrote:
rad law wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:
Gotta agree with Rad on this one. Congrats UT, modelz and Bottlez all around!

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:58 am

Michigan State moves into the top 100. :)

It will be self-fulfillng rise now. People will say they have been on the rise since the school joined a Big Ten University, they will look at the increase in the ranking and decide it will rise more, more people with higher stats apply, the school continues to rise in the rankings.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:02 am

seriously???? wrote:
handlesthetruth wrote:Bold prediction: Indiana a T20 within a few years

Giving lots of money + solid, growing, stable indy economy = good news for iu
giving lots of money to USNews.

if you talk to their admissions, they will tell you that Indy is not their major market.
And it is good that Indy has a stable economy, 6IUB grads got biglaw there, which has to be better than the 1 in DC, 1 in, NYC, 1 in CHI, 1 in Abu Dhabi and 1 in Minnesota. I can see how it is a deadheat with ND, only slightly behind WUSTL, Minn, and dominating UIUC, BC, Fordham, Emory, and WandM. Who knows, one day, it may even have better placement than IU-Indianapolis.

dumbass
Also, IUB only placed 40% of their class in law firms, with 20% in government and 18% in business and industry.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:15 am

jne381 wrote:Michigan State moves into the top 100. :)

It will be self-fulfillng rise now. People will say they have been on the rise since the school joined a Big Ten University, they will look at the increase in the ranking and decide it will rise more, more people with higher stats apply, the school continues to rise in the rankings.
Michigan State will be a good test case on the strength of university's branding on distinct law schools. Not much has really changed for MSU. They're still a private school operated largely independently from the overall university. This really is little more than a case of branding.

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:21 am

The new info on people with jobs at graduation is crazy. It seems more realistic now. (not sure if it's actually true yet, but still...)

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:52 am

Great news for UT which was already the top school in one of the top economies/legal markets in the country. Now it will expand its national range. UT should only continue moving up in these rankings (for what they are worth) under their new dean, formerly from NYU. He's positioning the school to be THE place for practice in Latin America, one of the main markets in the 21st century. Not sure if they've formally announced the program yet, but they have established a program with ITAM, one of the most prestigious universities in Mexico (Pres. Calderon went there) so that students can attend their third year yet graduate from UT. If you attend a second year at ITAM for law, you will be licensed in Mexico. They are looking at similar programs in Argentina and Brazil. As a project [url=https://www.lawcrossing.com/article/900007791/What-it-is-Like-to-be-a-Banking-and-Commercial-Finance-Attorney/]Finance Attorney[/url], the only places you do deals where English doesn't govern the transaction documents are Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries. Brilliant strategy on the part of UT Law!

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:52 am

danquayle wrote:
jne381 wrote:Michigan State moves into the top 100. :)

Michigan State will be a good test case on the strength of university's branding on distinct law schools. Not much has really changed for MSU. They're still a private school operated largely independently from the overall university. This really is little more than a case of branding.
Though I agree branding is important, I also think the branding has led to some other things that are also positive for the school. The application rates have gone up more so than other universities, and they have even gone up when the general number of apps at other schools have gone down. This may be because of branding, but it leads to a higher applicant pool and generally higher caliber of student gaining admission.

There have also been positive movements in the rankings of the law journals.
The Michigan State Law Review continued its rise in the annual law journal rankings by Washington & Lee University School of Law, the leading source for data on legal periodicals.

The publication is placed at number 54 out of 312 ranked flagship journals, marking an eight-point rise from last year. This is the seventh year in a row the Law Review has climbed in the W&L Law rankings.
That being said, I do believe the success of the football and basketball teams do elevate national recognition of the university as a whole and probably the law school to some extent.

I will also note that the law school is technically independent of the university because it receives no public funding, it is pretty integrated in terms of community, and the ability to take advantage of the university as a whole with its resources.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”