Does it help to know people who work at a law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Re: Does it help to know people who work at a law school?

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:02 pm

TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:I'd feel shitty if someone got in over me because of a connection.
Do you see what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass, Derek?

Couldn't help myself.
Ha. The username is worth it just for the quote dropping.

Also: this is what happens Larry!

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:11 pm

If I was on the WL at a school I loved, and had an uncle that worked in the admissions department there, I'd definitely ask the favor. Wouldn't expect anything to come of it, but if it did help me get in (even if it didn't) I'd be pumped.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Personal Anecdote:

I know a black/puerto rican kid (he's 50/50) with the same numbers as me (3.6/163) and his mother is an adcomm at Columbia Law and he refuses to apply there. He says he just wants to go to Fordham. Smh.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:16 pm

How is "utilizing connections" any more unethical than getting special treatment during the admissions process because you're a minority? :?

Derekj032

New

Post by Derekj032 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:19 pm

zonto wrote:How is "utilizing connections" any more unethical than getting special treatment during the admissions process because you're a minority? :?

Exactly, I'm a middle class white male; I need and will take all the help I can get.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:37 pm

Derekj032 wrote:
zonto wrote:How is "utilizing connections" any more unethical than getting special treatment during the admissions process because you're a minority? :?
Exactly, I'm a middle class white male; I need and will take all the help I can get.
All the power to you! Good luck. :wink:

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Well without arguing for or against affirmative action, that's quite the provocative statement you've got there. I have no opinion, but I think it's funny how people say it's "unfair." the difference is, with using AA or not, the institution is setting their own rules which they are free to do. Arguing that this is "unfair" betrays a sense of entitlement, a normative judgment regarding what should be considered.

Now, one could argue that institutional privilege to set their own admissions standards is well and good and fair, but race or ethnicity is unfair because it is not an accomplishment or something one can change. Fair enough.

Also, just putting down your race is a little different from calling in a favor. Although you could argue one knows that their race is being considered when they voluntarily write it. I have no opinion, just chewing this over.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:41 pm

Derekj032 wrote:I'm a middle class white male; I need and will take all the help I can get.
I know you're talking about affirmative action, but there's something disturbing about the phrasing there.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:38 pm

I think you do have some opinion, you just don't want to express it.

My opinion is that admissions should be holistic, whether or not a race box is actually marked on the application. Diversity is an important part of the incoming class, and I surely respect and value the opinions that could be given by many "URMs." What I take issue with is when the process evolves from equal opportunity to a reparation. Merit-based aid should be placed on merit. Need-based should be based on FAFSA and NeedAccess information.

Now that I think about it, some applications do ask if you have family that work for the school don't they? They also ask about family alumni from the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”