Does it help to know people who work at a law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Derekj032

Does it help to know people who work at a law school?

Postby Derekj032 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Do you think knowing people who work at a law school is beneficial to your application? I've been waitlisted at my top pick and it just so happens that my uncle has an administrative position at that school. He has a solid relationship with the Dean and I just found this out so I'm just wondering if this may help my chances. Does anyone have any previous experience with a favorable outcome of acceptance due to someone they know?

glitter178

Re: Does it help to know people who work at a law school?

Postby glitter178 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Derekj032 wrote:Do you think knowing people who work at a law school is beneficial to your application? I've been waitlisted at my top pick and it just so happens that my uncle has an administrative position at that school. He has a solid relationship with the Dean and I just found this out so I'm just wondering if this may help my chances. Does anyone have any previous experience with a favorable outcome of acceptance due to someone they know?

why don't you try it and let us know how it goes?

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:54 pm

What do you expect your Uncle to do something for you? Study LSAT Keep up your GPA. Do not ask him a favor.

You Wow Me... :shock:

Derekj032

Postby Derekj032 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:58 pm

lovejopd wrote:What do you expect your Uncle to do something for you? Study LSAT Keep up your GPA. Do not ask him a favor.

Ugh have you ever heard the saying its not what you know but who you know? If I'm waitlisted, I'm obviously being considered. How could it be bad for someone to bring up my name or ask the dean about my application? If you think this does not happen all the time you are wrong.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:05 pm

lovejopd wrote:What do you expect your Uncle to do something for you? Study LSAT Keep up your GPA. Do not ask him a favor.

I don't understand this attitude on TLS. If you are comfortable asking your uncle, and you don't think it will put him in an uncomfortable position, go for it. It has more to do with your relationship than anything else.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Derekj032 wrote:

Ugh have you ever heard the saying its not what you know but who you know? If I'm waitlisted, I'm obviously being considered. How could it be bad for someone to bring up my name or ask the dean about my application? If you think this does not happen all the time you are wrong.

So why do you bother to ask a question in TLS while you have 'absolute knowledge' about it? You put other waitlists at disadvantages if you get something(Which I do not believe at all). You define your action as 'social network,' but I define it as unethical edges.

Hey dude, give it a shot and see the wonders your Uncle can do for you! :lol:

I hope your uncle is not stupid enough to bring up your precious name. Period.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:07 pm

KMaine wrote:

I don't understand this attitude on TLS. If you are comfortable asking your uncle, and you don't think it will put him in an uncomfortable position Bingo!, go for it. It has more to do with your relationship than anything else.

ODBCP

Postby ODBCP » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:10 pm

I would assume it depends heavily on what position your uncle holds. "Administrative position" could mean any number of things.

I think the best course of action would be to send your LOCI just as you would if your uncle wasn't in the picture, and then simply let him know that you're waitlisted and would definitely attend if accepted. He'll know whether or not he has any influence or could be of any help. However, make sure that you'd definitely attend if you're asking your uncle to stick his neck out a bit for you.

Good luck.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:14 pm

Be careful who you ask to speak on your behalf. Anything and everything about their demeanor, tone, etc they take with the admissions people WILL reflect upon you, for better or for worse. And if you don't believe that you're delusional.

That said, it really does depend on how much power your uncle has. If he doesn't have that much sway, there's a strong chance that it could reflect poorly upon you and detriment your chances. If he does, it can help. Also, it depends on who he knows. AN admissions officer is not as powerful a contact as the DEAN of admissions who makes the final decision.

Find out as much as you can and tread carefully. This is NOT a case where you have "nothing to lose," and if your uncle doesn't hold sway it won't hurt you. It very well may and you'd be foolish not to consider that.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:16 pm

I would try and use it. Does your uncle like you? Does he actually know you? Talk to your uncle, tell him you are waitlisted, ask if there is anything he might be able to help you out with. If he is in a position to help you out, he probably will. If he can't help you, he should tell you that and not go to the dean to tattle-tale on you for trying to circumvent the system.

I really don't see how it could hurt to give your uncle a call and see what he can do.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:25 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:I would try and use it. Does your uncle like you? Does he actually know you? Talk to your uncle, tell him you are waitlisted, ask if there is anything he might be able to help you out with. If he is in a position to help you out, he probably will. If he can't help you, he should tell you that and not go to the dean to tattle-tale on you for trying to circumvent the system.

I really don't see how it could hurt to give your uncle a call and see what he can do.

Possible, but I think people underestimate how "calling in favors" and the like can reflect poorly on you in the process. It can hurt, you just have to make an informed decision.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:29 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
YaSvoboden wrote:I would try and use it. Does your uncle like you? Does he actually know you? Talk to your uncle, tell him you are waitlisted, ask if there is anything he might be able to help you out with. If he is in a position to help you out, he probably will. If he can't help you, he should tell you that and not go to the dean to tattle-tale on you for trying to circumvent the system.

Possible, but I think people underestimate how "calling in favors" and the like can reflect poorly on you in the process. It can hurt, you just have to make an informed decision.

Yes, If I were Dean of Law School, I would not pick up someone who wants any special treatment.

I think OP should ask his Uncle to write a recommendation letter for him... :lol:

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:29 pm

Dude I would call my uncle and TELL him to talk to the head of admissions! ASAP

For real though, I would. Shit happens all the time

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:30 pm

lovejopd wrote:
Derekj032 wrote:

So why do you bother to ask a question in TLS while you have 'absolute knowledge' about it? You put other waitlists at disadvantages if you get something(Which I do not believe at all). You define your action as 'social network,' but I define it as unethical edges.

Hey dude, give it a shot and see the wonders your Uncle can do for you! :lol:

I hope your uncle is not stupid enough to bring up your precious name. Period.

This is the attitude that doesn't get ahead in life.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:30 pm

lovejopd wrote:

Yes, If I were Dean of Law School, I would not pick up someone who wants any special treatment.

I think OP should ask his Uncle to write a recommendation letter for him... :lol:

Shut up already you are annoying. We get it, you have been waitlisted places and have no connections and suck - stop whining.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:33 pm

thecilent wrote:
lovejopd wrote:

Shut up already you are annoying. We get it, you have been waitlisted places and have no connections and suck - stop whining.

I'm not whining I'm giving advice. Just because it's not what the OP wants to hear doesn't mean it's whining you microcephalic little shit. For what it's worth, I do have connections and am considering not using them because I'm not convinced that they have enough political capital to help me. EVERYONE knows *someone*, it's a question of how much influence they have.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:34 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:m not whining I'm giving advice. Just because it's not what the OP wants to hear doesn't mean it's whining you microcephalic little shit. For what it's worth, I do have connections and am considering not using them because I'm not convinced that they have enough political capital to help me. EVERYONE knows *someone*, it's a question of how much influence they have.

lol not you weirdo. learn to understand the quotes.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:35 pm

thecilent wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:m not whining I'm giving advice. Just because it's not what the OP wants to hear doesn't mean it's whining you microcephalic little shit. For what it's worth, I do have connections and am considering not using them because I'm not convinced that they have enough political capital to help me. EVERYONE knows *someone*, it's a question of how much influence they have.

lol not you weirdo. learn to understand the quotes.

Just saw that, sorry Man of Steel. Transfer the rage to the guy you were ragging on. I believe in ethical rage.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm not convinced it's unethical to call in favors. Everyone will always do whatever they can to get ahead in life, and if you don't use your advantages it can be detrimental to you. That said, if you were waitlisted you were probably reasonably qualified enough. Unless you're connection is a billionaire or high powered government official you're not getting in unless you're at least decently qualified, so that should assuage some guilt. So much of life is luck, might as well get some...that said, I'd feel shitty if someone got in over me because of a connection. It's more likely than not to fail, so, it's not the greatest moral quandary, but still.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:44 pm

interesting username choice. I envy your alleged freedom.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:45 pm

Valid point. I trust the uncle has an understanding of what would be in good taste and what would backlash. This trust could be totally misplaced.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Postby TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:47 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:I'd feel shitty if someone got in over me because of a connection.

Do you see what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass, Derek?

Couldn't help myself.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:48 pm

thecilent wrote:
lovejopd wrote:

Superman Returns!!

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:53 pm

99.9luft wrote:

Thank you? We both seem to have chosen foreign language songs to identify ourselves.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:57 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

Thank you? We both seem to have chosen foreign language songs to identify ourselves.

Da. Das ist korrect, amigo.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”