Help this high school senior

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Veyron

Re: Help this high school senior

Postby Veyron » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:49 pm

^ True that. I also go to a better law school than you.

I studied forever for my LSAT, did very well. Friend studies for 3 months (most of the time while drunk), gets a 180.

Endless gunning has got me median grades. Kids in my class who work half as hard but have the intuitive sense of how to do law school study less and are top 1/3. Gunning + intelligence can get you where you want to go but the slacker with natural ability should not be discounted.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Last edited by BruceBarr on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Stay off the forums until you're ready to study for the LSAT/apply. Major in something you like, get the highest grades you can, and actually do interesting shit on campus. Student Government is not very impressive because EVERYBODY does that, but the better your numbers the less unique and out of this world your softs have to be.

Also, take multiple classes with professors you like (preferably seminars, and even independent studies) as early on as you can to get the strongest recommendations possible.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:06 pm

minnesotasam wrote:It doesn't matter where you go to undergrad unless its Harvard, Princeton, or Yale (and I say that as someone who did not, though my school was "top 5"). But remember that you're going to come out of those 4 years a very different person. Consider who you wanna be when its all said and done as well as your experience in undergrad. I chose a social school that would force me to work harder academically and it was a crucial decision for me. gl.

Elite undergrad isn't a T14 guarantee. Plenty of Stanford/Columbia/Dartmouth/Harvard et al grads across T25s. Which is not to say that they are failures, just that their pedigrees don't come with guarantees.

That said, never pass up an opportunity to attend HYPS/MIT/Cal Tech

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:07 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Stay off the forums until you're ready to study for the LSAT/apply. Major in something you like, get the highest grades you can, and actually do interesting shit on campus. Student Government is not very impressive because EVERYBODY does that, but the better your numbers the less unique and out of this world your softs have to be.

Also, take multiple classes with professors you like (preferably seminars, and even independent studies) as early on as you can to get the strongest recommendations possible.

You don't know anything more about law school than this kid. Go fuck yourself. I'd rather have a high school senior on these forums than some dumbass who acts like an elitist on a fucking law school forum.

High school kid: Any more questions?

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:10 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
minnesotasam wrote:It doesn't matter where you go to undergrad unless its Harvard, Princeton, or Yale (and I say that as someone who did not, though my school was "top 5"). But remember that you're going to come out of those 4 years a very different person. Consider who you wanna be when its all said and done as well as your experience in undergrad. I chose a social school that would force me to work harder academically and it was a crucial decision for me. gl.

Elite undergrad isn't a T14 guarantee. Plenty of Stanford/Columbia/Dartmouth/Harvard et al grads across T25s. Which is not to say that they are failures, just that their pedigrees don't come with guarantees.

That said, never pass up an opportunity to attend HYPS/MIT/Cal Tech

I agree 100%, but I'm not sure how that serves as a response to my post :)

slackerman

Postby slackerman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:13 pm

How am I supposed to do something interesting for a soft? Most likely I will be attending school in a small town, hours away from the nearest urban center... If student government isn't good...what is there left? Or should I always aim to attend school in an urban setting to be near internships and what not?

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:28 pm

slackerman wrote:How am I supposed to do something interesting for a soft? Most likely I will be attending school in a small town, hours away from the nearest urban center... If student government isn't good...what is there left? Or should I always aim to attend school in an urban setting to be near internships and what not?

From what I understand, unless you have done absolutely nothing in college or you have published a New York Times Bestseller, soft factors will not substantially sway adcomms in the admissions process.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:32 pm

slackerman wrote:How am I supposed to do something interesting for a soft? Most likely I will be attending school in a small town, hours away from the nearest urban center... If student government isn't good...what is there left? Or should I always aim to attend school in an urban setting to be near internships and what not?

You're spending way too much time thinking about this. At this point in your life you should be primarily concerned with getting beer and getting laid, not with getting into Harvard. Work hard, take classes strategically, do interesting things with your life, and the rest will work itself out.

Don't think of "softs" as something that will prepare you for law school. Instead, do something meaningful that you enjoy - volunteering to do research with a professor is a great example, or volunteering on a local political campaign (a real one, not a school one), or one of a billion different things.
Last edited by notanumber on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zannie1986

Postby Zannie1986 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:52 pm

apologies for not skimming the full thread to see if this has been suggested, but if you can afford it, you should try to do an overnight visit at each school, get a feel for what is a better fit for you. I knew which school was (some of them, which weren't mine) mine the minute I went in person.

edit: I see we've moved into discussions of softs now, I'll post just in case you're still thinking about it

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:26 pm

BruceBarr wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Stay off the forums until you're ready to study for the LSAT/apply. Major in something you like, get the highest grades you can, and actually do interesting shit on campus. Student Government is not very impressive because EVERYBODY does that, but the better your numbers the less unique and out of this world your softs have to be.

You don't know anything more about law school than this kid. Go fuck yourself. I'd rather have a high school senior on these forums than some dumbass who acts like an elitist on a fucking law school forum.

Oh shut up. He's not asking about law school, he's asking about what UG he should go to in order to get INTO law school, something I DO have experience in. I don't see what about actually BEING in law school makes one more qualified to speak about the admissions process than one who has applied but has yet to matriculate.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:56 am

BruceBarr wrote:

Oh shut up. He's not asking about law school, he's asking about what UG he should go to in order to get INTO law school, something I DO have experience in. I don't see what about actually BEING in law school makes one more qualified to speak about the admissions process than one who has applied but has yet to matriculate.

You've been a member of TLS for 6 days. Don't tell a kid he's abusing / doesn't know how to use a site that you joined last Monday.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:17 am

BruceBarr wrote:

You've been a member of TLS for 6 days. Don't tell a kid he's abusing / doesn't know how to use a site that you joined last Monday.

Supposedly he's an alt.

Arthur, I liked your post better before you edited it and it said "Go fuck YOUR OWN face, Bruce!"

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:26 am

ok i know this thread has gone totally off and i posted at the beginning. seriously. please please please just enjoy yourself in undergrad. it was the best four years of my life. just do things ur interested in. try getting a position as a research assistant or something on the side. get interesting internships during the summer. study hard and get good grades but party hard too. otherwise ull regret it.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Paraflam wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:

Supposedly he's an alt.

Arthur, I liked your post better before you edited it and it said "Go fuck YOUR OWN face, Bruce!"

I would have liked that more.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:20 am

BruceBarr wrote:
Longhorn88 wrote:
slackerman wrote:i myself am a big slacker and I should be writing essays right now but i'd much rather surf the web and visit random sites like this one. I don't have a good work ethic, but I am decently smart. To make good money as a lawyer I need to attend a good law school, and im not sure how much my UG will help with that. Should I attend the party school and breeze through with minimal effort, or go to the rigorous school and challenge myself intellectually?

If you don't change the bolded parts then it doesn't matter if you go to harvard or a community college, you're going to fail. There's plenty of decently smart slackers working at Subway.

Yea... I slacked my entire way through UG and didn't do shit. Now: I probably go to a better law school than you where I sit at the top of my class. I still don't work that hard.

Fail.

Haven't decided on a school yet but the only ones left are all better than Penn State. So yes, "Fail." Good job being an internet tough guy though. Glad that you take so much pride in your own laziness.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”