Help this high school senior

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PleaseHelpThanks

Re: Help this high school senior

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:33 pm

Don't even go to college. Just start studying for the LSAT, it's all that matters.

JK, but seriously, go to the better school, and start studying for the LSAT now. Pick a major that you will enjoy learning about, and work your ass off for that 4.0/170. You can do it!

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:10 pm

Get a good work ethic. Keep your gpa up. Go to the school that gives you the most $. /thread.

emmbar53

Postby emmbar53 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Get a good work ethic. Keep your gpa up. Go to the school that gives you the most $. /thread.

Probably worth noting that virtually no one in the world has a good work ethic as a second semester senior in high school.

So hopefully OP's slackerism is only temporary.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:46 pm

emmbar53 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:Get a good work ethic. Keep your gpa up. Go to the school that gives you the most $. /thread.

Probably worth noting that virtually no one in the world has a good work ethic as a second semester senior in high school.

Where do you think the MIT undergrads come from?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:50 pm

f0bolous wrote:Go wherever you'll have the easiest time getting a 4.0

emmbar53

Postby emmbar53 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:07 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
emmbar53 wrote:

Virgin conventions.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:11 pm

slackerman wrote:Hi-

I know that it annoys people here when a high schooler asks a question about Law school, but bare with me. I am planning on becoming a lawyer. I know about the dire condition of the profession and bla bla but I'm bad in math and science so i really have no other options lol.

This is my last year of high school. I've been admitted to several schools. I'm only considering two of them. One is a highly renowned small liberal arts school in the East coast that prides itself on "rigor" and its a great school. Full of the typical overachievers and valedictorians, but I could see myself there. Offered full scholarship. The other school is a state school in the eastern half of my state. It's a school with a nice campus, but I get the feeling it's just a party that lasts four years in the middle of the desert lol. Also offered a full scholarship.

i myself am a big slacker and I should be writing essays right now but i'd much rather surf the web and visit random sites like this one. I don't have a good work ethic, but I am decently smart. To make good money as a lawyer I need to attend a good law school, and im not sure how much my UG will help with that. Should I attend the party school and breeze through with minimal effort, or go to the rigorous school and challenge myself intellectually?

If you know that you absolutely want law school....

1. Go to the school with the highest average graduating GPA
2. Major in the major with the highest average graduating GPA
3. Do something special during your time in school
4. ??????
5. Enjoy HYS, CCN, or a full ride to a different school of your choice.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:26 pm

emmbar53 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
emmbar53 wrote:

Virgin conventions.

And who goes to Virgin conventions? Boom.

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Go wherever the hell you want to go. Life's about more than padding your resume for law school. Work hard and do well at whichever school you choose.

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:If you know that you absolutely want law school....

4. ??????

basically. don't do any of that "oh I'll major in something rigorous and challenge myself" bullshit; law school admissions will punish you for it.

parsi

Postby parsi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:34 pm

play your cards right and you can be a slacker all through undergrad and still do extremely well

slackerman

Postby slackerman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:51 pm

parsi wrote:play your cards right and you can be a slacker all through undergrad and still do extremely well

explain....

frijoles99

Postby frijoles99 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:11 pm

So advice for college explore and see the world, fuck take a year off between college and law school to live.

So advice for law school. Get that 4.3. That simple. Frankly going to a bumfuck dumbass school and getting a 4.3 will help you more than a 2.7 out of Stanford. Sad but true. Some schools will take you like a piece of meat with a high GPA and not give a shit about anything else. You'll get into a T14 easy with a 4.0-4.3 and a 166+LSAT. This comes from someone blasted with rejection and acceptance letters and has sadly realized the best indicator is Law Schools Numbers regardless of how well you do on personal statement or softs. With the exception of Berkeley.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:14 pm

helloperson wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:If you know that you absolutely want law school....

4. ??????

basically. don't do any of that "oh I'll major in something rigorous and challenge myself" bullshit; law school admissions will punish you for it.

Unfortunately, hes right. Make sure to bite off something you can handle in undergrad. Dont take classes that you dont think you will be able to succeed in.

slackerman

Postby slackerman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Well I just hope things won't change four or so years into the future when I come back after having partied in the desert for a few years and taken the easiest, most non marketable classes in school.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:52 am

slackerman wrote:
parsi wrote:play your cards right and you can be a slacker all through undergrad and still do extremely well

explain....

If you go to an underachiever-saturated university and are a highly intelligent individual, your native intelligence combined with normalized curves and a moderate amount of pre-exam cramming will make obtaining a high GPA a cakewalk. Unless you pursue something like engineering, a major with a naturally deflated GPA. Don't do that.

I vote for the LAC. It probably involves more work, but there's a lot to be said for being surrounded by intellectual peers and having smaller classes (which makes connecting with professors much easier, opening doors for grad school if you end up wanting to take that road). Many LAC's also have less stringent degree requirements, allowing you to largely avoid the stupidity of core curriculum classes and choose your own sampling of disciplines early on. That might help pique your academic interest and trigger some work ethic development.

Ruweisat

Postby Ruweisat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:05 am

Spookyghost wrote:in reality, GPA is for the most part GPA.

I totally agree. A decent GPA shows that you're willing to work hard to achieve. If you're still a slacker in law school, you'll wash out.

I also wanted to be an Air Force pilot, but that dream faded after high school. Now I'm looking at joining the Air Force JAG, but I talked to my sister's friend who is a JAG & said that now is a bad time. I hope things improve by the time I finish law school & the bar exam.

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:09 am

slackerman wrote:Hi-

I know that it annoys people here when a high schooler asks a question about Law school, but bare with me. I am planning on becoming a lawyer. I know about the dire condition of the profession and bla bla but I'm bad in math and science so i really have no other options lol.

This is my last year of high school. I've been admitted to several schools. I'm only considering two of them. One is a highly renowned small liberal arts school in the East coast that prides itself on "rigor" and its a great school. Full of the typical overachievers and valedictorians, but I could see myself there. Offered full scholarship. The other school is a state school in the eastern half of my state. It's a school with a nice campus, but I get the feeling it's just a party that lasts four years in the middle of the desert lol. Also offered a full scholarship.

i myself am a big slacker and I should be writing essays right now but i'd much rather surf the web and visit random sites like this one. I don't have a good work ethic, but I am decently smart. To make good money as a lawyer I need to attend a good law school, and im not sure how much my UG will help with that. Should I attend the party school and breeze through with minimal effort, or go to the rigorous school and challenge myself intellectually?

This made my morning.

My advice: if you slack off for four years, how the fuck do you think you're going to do well in law school? God, fucking, damn it, I hate it when people think that not challenging yourself intellectually as an undergrad is the path to success in anything.
Last edited by NZA on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:24 am

It doesn't matter where you go to undergrad unless its Harvard, Princeton, or Yale (and I say that as someone who did not, though my school was "top 5"). But remember that you're going to come out of those 4 years a very different person. Consider who you wanna be when its all said and done as well as your experience in undergrad. I chose a social school that would force me to work harder academically and it was a crucial decision for me. gl.

abl

Postby abl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:24 pm

Just how elite is the east coast LAC? I ask because if you're talking about Hamilton (a very good, but not top 10 LAC), your law school chances would be better with a 3.9 out of ASU than a 3.5 out of Hamilton. But, if you're talking about, say, Williams, that's not necessarily the case (and yes, the top law schools "curve" the grades of Williams/Swarthmore/Amherst grads just as much, if not more, than HYSP grads).

That said, don't underestimate the importance of your undergrad education. First, something like 90% of undergrads change their major. More likely than not, you will be one of them. If you go to ASU over Hamilton in the hopes of maximizing your law school chances, you may find that in fact you're much more interested in consulting, or getting a phd in history, and you could easily find yourself frustrated with the big classes, uninvolved professors, and your largely academically uninvolved peers (and all of those things are likely to be more of a liability for non-law fields). Second, unless you're at HYS, your performance in law school is going to matter, and it will matter A LOT. As an undergraduate, you won't learn any specific material that will help you in law school, but you will learn how to read, how to write, and how to think. These are all absolutely crucial for law school success. And sure, you CAN learn how to do all of these things just as well at ASU as you can at Hamilton, but are you likely to? You should like if you're in an environment where everyone is partying in lieu of studying, you will party in lieu of studying. The thing with the elite small LACs is that they make it somewhat difficult NOT to get a good education. Can you get just as good of an education at the big state schools? Yes. But most people don't, and, I don't mean this in a bad way, but you don't sound like you'll be an exception to that rule. What you learn in undergrad with regards to reading, writing, and thinking will play a very significant role in HOW you do in law school, as well as how you do as a lawyer.

Look, I don't think you should be going to an undergrad based on maximizing your law school chances. If you are, though, I'm not convinced by the the argument that so many people make that its best to go to the easier school so as to get unbelievable grades. Few will argue that a 4.0 out of ASU will get you further than a 3.0 out of Harvard. But, that's assuming that the two are equivalent (or a 3.4 or whatever number you want to pick). Grades at ASU are "easier" than grades at Harvard, yes, but they're also somewhat different. The top Harvard students will not necessarily be the top ASU students and vice versa; the schools are testing and grading on somewhat different things. Therefore, just because you were admitted to a selective LAC, don't assume that your smarts will automatically get you grades at whatever party school you're considering. They may, but more likely, they won't. If you're risk averse (as law school trains you to be), based solely on the tactical "what should I do to get into a good law school" question, you should go to the LAC. You don't know how you'll do in either school. There will be people who are in the top of their class at both, and people who will work harder--and are smarter--than you at both. If you go to the elite LAC--especially if it's a Williams--you're hedging your bets. If you want to get into a T14 out of ASU, you will have to be one of THE best people in your class. At Williams, you could be around median and still have a solid chance. Knowing yourself, do you really think you're more likely to be one of the top 20 students at ASU than, say, better than average at Williams?

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:57 pm

slackerman wrote:i myself am a big slacker and I should be writing essays right now but i'd much rather surf the web and visit random sites like this one. I don't have a good work ethic, but I am decently smart. To make good money as a lawyer I need to attend a good law school, and im not sure how much my UG will help with that. Should I attend the party school and breeze through with minimal effort, or go to the rigorous school and challenge myself intellectually?

If you don't change the bolded parts then it doesn't matter if you go to harvard or a community college, you're going to fail. There's plenty of decently smart slackers working at Subway.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:28 pm

@abl: Hamilton is a bad example to try to prove your point. A 3.5 from Hamilton will get positive attention similiar to Williams, Amherst or Swarthmore. But it would be interesting to know the LAC in question.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:
slackerman wrote:i myself am a big slacker and I should be writing essays right now but i'd much rather surf the web and visit random sites like this one. I don't have a good work ethic, but I am decently smart. To make good money as a lawyer I need to attend a good law school, and im not sure how much my UG will help with that. Should I attend the party school and breeze through with minimal effort, or go to the rigorous school and challenge myself intellectually?

If you don't change the bolded parts then it doesn't matter if you go to harvard or a community college, you're going to fail. There's plenty of decently smart slackers working at Subway.

This is so dramatic and absurd. Chill out. Its awesome that you've worked hard from day one and I'm sorry its annoying that others didn't have to and have still found academic success, but you're talking to a 17 or 18 yo kid. People grow up at different rates.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Go where you can have the most fun at the bar on a Tuesday night and just do well on the LSAT.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Last edited by BruceBarr on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”