Thoughts on these options? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which do you think makes the most sense for me?

- Cornell (full tuition scholarship- 135k)
53%
- Duke (75k)
2%
- Penn (75k)
12%
- NYU (25k)
18%
- Berkeley (if little or no $)
4%
- Columbia (if little or no $)
10%

Total votes: 49

jtemp320

Bronze

Thoughts on these options?

Post by jtemp320 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:33 am

Wasn't sure I'd ever make one of these threads but I am looking for any and all perspectives on these options as it looks like it will be time to make a decision soon.

Current options are:

- Cornell (full tuition scholarship- 135k)
- Duke (75k)
- Penn (75k)
- NYU (25k)

Waiting on financial aid info:

Columbia
Berkeley
Northwestern
Georgetown

I have ambitious goals - I would love to clerk and then do government work (maybe AUSA one day) or academia. I am from LA and have lived in and really like both the Bay Area and DC. I also love NYC (though I've never lived there). I see myself as a city person and am not sure how I feel about intense winters (Ithaca...ouch). I'd like to work in DC, SF, LA or possibly NY after I graduate. As I said California is home so I would like to go somewhere that could give me the option of getting back here eventually. Not sure if BigLaw is what I want to do with my life but I have an open mind if that ends up making the most sense after I graduate. I am debt adverse and have few resources to pay for school but also have fallen in love with the idea of Columbia (maybe it was the long wait for the VCE?). I also really liked my visit to Boalt and could see myself there but am worried about cost and job prospects. Mostly I want to open as many doors for myself as possible while limiting the risk I will have 200k of debt and no job or a job that I hate but am forced to stay in for years to pay my debt.

I am planning on going to ASWs at CLS, NYU and Berkeley and am trying to expand my NY trip so I can see Penn and Cornell.

Having a very hard time evaluating $$$ at Cornell v $$ at Penn v $ at NYU and ? at Columbia and Berkeley...any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

lightbulb1986

Bronze

Re: Thoughts on these options?

Post by lightbulb1986 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:00 am

Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks - anyone else?

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:42 am

Another vote for Cornell. Money is huge and huge money is even huger. For me, it wouldn't even be a tough choice.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Alright let me ask this other way...how much do $ people think it would take for NYU/CLS to be worth over Cornell in this scenario if I strongly prefer NYC and with my above goals...40k, 50k?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:29 pm

The obvious thing to do is negotiate. Send columbia, berk, nyu, penn the full ride from cornell. Tell them they have to come somewhat close in order for you to choose them. Then make another thread with results.

artemis178

New

Post by artemis178 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:35 pm

If Cornell weren't a T14 school then there might be some room for debate here, but you don't turn down a full-ride at a T14 for geographic considerations. Really. You don't. I'd say NYU or Columbia would have to MATCH your offer in order to walk away from Cornell. If you love New York, then spend the rest of your life there. Law school is only three years. Of course, it's important to be happy during those three years, but getting a law degree for free is worth three years in Ithaca. While all the poor slobs who paid sticker (or close to it) at Columbia are paying $1500 plus every month in student loans you will have that much extra money to spend, invest, or save. I have a friend who went to Columbia 10 years ago and still has $80,000 in loans he's repaying. Seriously. This is a no-brainer.

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:46 pm

This is not even a question (barring any other financial packages/negotiations)... Cornell, easy.

Malcolm8X

Bronze

Post by Malcolm8X » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:51 pm

jtemp320 wrote:Alright let me ask this other way...how much do $ people think it would take for NYU/CLS to be worth over Cornell in this scenario if I strongly prefer NYC and with my above goals...40k, 50k?
I'd say with the cost of living, here's my analysis...

Cornell: $68K/yr x 3yrs = $204K - $135K = $69K + $10K (interest) = $79K
Columbia/NYU: $73K*3 = $219K + $20K = $239K - _____ = $100K

Yea... so about $140K..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:53 pm

thecilent wrote:The obvious thing to do is negotiate. Send columbia, berk, nyu, penn the full ride from cornell. Tell them they have to come somewhat close in order for you to choose them. Then make another thread with results.
Agreed - this is my plan...

And maybe you all are right, definitely a visit to Ithaca to see if I could feel good about three years is in order.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:17 pm

If you've always been a city person, it might be good for you to be in a small town for a few years. I grew up in a small town and live in a city for UG, and there are big pros and cons to both. Everything I've heard about Ithaca tells me it's a beautiful place to live and study for three years.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Thanks

I know a full ride from a T14 is a special opportunity and not to be passed up lightly so I'm obviously seriously considering it.

My concern other then living in Ithaca is that I know Cornell places well in NYC biglaw (especially relative to its ranking) but thats not really my primary goal...

With top grades from Cornell is a clerkship possible, DOJ Honors? Is Cornell's LRAP decent (I would still have loans from COL)?

Is a Cornell degree portable enough that I'll have a chance of working in LA (with ties), DC or SF markets?

Do any of these factors make, for my goals, Penn at 60k more or NYU/CLS at 120k more worth considering?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:21 pm

With what you've got, either Cornell or Penn. Cornell is so close to Penn in terms of placement and clerkships (like a few % points worse), that I'm leaning Cornell.

I would personally take Columbia if they get within 50K of Cornell. Even then, you're looking at marginal increases in placement against solid cash in your pocket. You didn't say your stats, but I really doubt you will get that much from Columbia given what you got from other schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Voted for NYU, because if you do clerk and then work in Government their LRAP will pay for your loans regardless in all likelihood.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:48 am

Thanks I doubt Columbia will offer me that much stats etc are on lsn link in my profile

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:00 pm

jtemp320 wrote:Thanks

I know a full ride from a T14 is a special opportunity and not to be passed up lightly so I'm obviously seriously considering it.

My concern other then living in Ithaca is that I know Cornell places well in NYC biglaw (especially relative to its ranking) but thats not really my primary goal...

With top grades from Cornell is a clerkship possible, DOJ Honors? Is Cornell's LRAP decent (I would still have loans from COL)?

Is a Cornell degree portable enough that I'll have a chance of working in LA (with ties), DC or SF markets?

Do any of these factors make, for my goals, Penn at 60k more or NYU/CLS at 120k more worth considering?
Still wondering if anyone has additional feedback about Cornell's LRAP, portability to west coast, chances at clerkship etc.

visiting soon...definitely a different environment then I am used to...I may love it, I may hate it...I know T14 full ride may be the smart choice but if I don't like my visit I am not going to go - not worth it. In that case would people say NYU/CLS is worth 50k more then Penn?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”