they need a which law schools make you happiest ranking

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
glitched

they need a which law schools make you happiest ranking

Postby glitched » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:45 am

lol they should have a ranking that measures happiness in law school, at graduation, and at mid-career. which law students end up the happiest. but what will be the metrics?! and which schools will give you the most happiness for the dollar? loll damn all this choosing a law school stuff is stressing me out...

Knock

Re: they need a which law schools make you happiest ranking

Postby Knock » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:47 am

glitched wrote:lol they should have a ranking that measures happiness in law school, at graduation, and at mid-career. which law students end up the happiest. but what will be the metrics?! and which schools will give you the most happiness for the dollar? loll damn all this choosing a law school stuff is stressing me out...

Too subjective, but I think it would be interesting if someone had a go at it. I'd like to see it measure 1L, 2L, 3L/graduation.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:49 am

1. UChicago

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:52 am

glitched wrote:lol they should have a ranking that measures happiness in law school, at graduation, and at mid-career. which law students end up the happiest. but what will be the metrics?! and which schools will give you the most happiness for the dollar? loll damn all this choosing a law school stuff is stressing me out...

Agreed. Happiness should be a factor. It seems like the HYS grads I have met are the happiest after graduation (usually because they are doing exactly what they want). I definitely chose my #1 school because of the area and environment will make me the happiest during law school. I just hope that translates into success during school.

sayan

Postby sayan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:14 am

Y
HS

everyone else

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:20 am

Y. Maybe S. Definitely not H. We all know everyone who went to H only went there because they didn't get into Yale.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Dany wrote:1. UChicago

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Knock wrote:

Too subjective, but I think it would be interesting if someone had a go at it. I'd like to see it measure 1L, 2L, 3L/graduation.

i guarantee happiness a 1l, 2l,3l will correlate with jobs.

sayan

Postby sayan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:03 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Y. Maybe S. Definitely not H. We all know everyone who went to H only went there because they didn't get into Yale.

If you perform well enough at H, you're just as well off there as if you were at Y, plus you have better name recognition internationally and across industries.

But of course there is a greater downside. Admittedly, the bottom half of the class at H is worse off than at Y and the divergence increases as you go further down the barrel.
Last edited by sayan on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:04 pm

sayan wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:Y. Maybe S. Definitely not H. We all know everyone who went to H only went there because they didn't get into Yale.

If you perform well enough at H, you're just as well off there as if you were at Y plus you have better name recognition internationally and across industries.

I'll concede better lay recognition. Maybe international recognition but who cares about that?

sayan

Postby sayan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:05 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
sayan wrote:

If you perform well enough at H, you're just as well off there as if you were at Y plus you have better name recognition internationally and across industries.

I'll concede better lay recognition. Maybe international recognition but who cares about that?

Easier to get a job internationally.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:10 pm

sayan wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
sayan wrote:

Easier to get a job internationally.

Against the 2 other people competing for international jobs.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:20 pm

Knock wrote:

It's been done for countries (if I remember right, Bhutan is the happiest nation in the world). it could feasibly be done for law schools, though it would be quite a hefty project...

On a side note, there was recently a study done to find what demographic characteristics make for the happiest people. Apparently, the happiest American should be an older Asian-American Jewish man living in Hawaii who owns his own business and makes $120,000+. (Amazingly, they actually did find someone who fit all of those characteristics!)

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:21 pm

amorfati wrote:
Knock wrote:

It's been done for countries (if I remember right, Bhutan is the happiest nation in the world). it could feasibly be done for law schools, though it would be quite a hefty project...

On a side note, there was recently a study done to find what demographic characteristics make for the happiest people. Apparently, the happiest American should be an older Asian-American Jewish man living in Hawaii who owns his own business and makes $120,000+. (Amazingly, they actually did find someone who fit all of those characteristics!)

Was he happy?

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Not sure - looked like it in his photo though!

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Isn't this ranking just the inverse of the big law rankings? The less likely you are to get biglaw, the more likely that you will be happy. :D

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:56 pm

amorfati wrote:Not sure - looked like it in his photo though!

i demand to see this article

FAR262

Postby FAR262 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Dany wrote:1. UChicago

Really? Aren't two of their mottoes "where fun goes to die" and "where the only thing that goes down on you is your gpa"?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:25 pm

Guessing it's not Cornell.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”