Is early decision worth it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
secretad

Is early decision worth it?

Postby secretad » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 pm

If I were to do early decision this upcoming fall in applying, doesn't that really take you out of scholarship consideration because the schools know they have you locked in without giving you a penny?

I mean this school I am thinking of is my absolute dream school, but I wonder if just doing regular decision would be better?

Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

TheTopBloke

Re: Is early decision worth it?

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:36 pm

No, it's not.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:38 pm

If you're willing to pay sticker at your reach and your reach isn't HYS then it might be worth it. Otherwise, ED doesn't give you THAT much of an advantage

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Only apply early decision if the school is a mega reach so you have no chance of scholarship, or if you are a splitter so you have no chance of scholarship.

Look at the previous year's LSN data to get an idea of whether people with your numbers can expect scholarship; most scholarships are VERY numbers based.

Also, make sure that you would be willing to pay sticker at that school over possible scholarship to a lower ranked school.

For instance, if your numbers are, say, 167/3.7, it would be worth it to ED to your favorite T-14 school because you won't be getting scholarship anywhere and this will be your best chance of getting in. Likewise if you're a splitter like 172/3.1 or 164 / 4.0.

Also, if you feel you have a shot at HYS, then don't ED anywhere.

Hope that helps!

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Seriously, don't waste your time.

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:44 pm

If your numbers are such that you could even be considering the possibility of a scholarship, then no, ED is not worth it.

suzige

Postby suzige » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:45 pm

If you need scholarship money, don't go ED...unless the school is somewhat of a reach and you are dead set on it no matter what the cost. It'd probably be more beneficial to apply early in the cycle.

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:05 pm

duckmoney wrote:Also, if you feel you have a shot at HYS, then don't ED anywhere.

I cannot overemphasize the validity of this point.

At the beginning of my cycle (before I knew any better re: ED), I was planning on applying ED to Chicago - and would have, had I not missed the deadline. However, not only did I eventually get in via reg decision, but I also got in at HY. So in my case, applying ED would have resulted in me hanging myself with a lamp cord.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:12 pm

I would say it would depend on a few things

1) If the school is your dream school and you are a longshot canidate

2) If the school is your dream school, and you are okay with paying sticker.

If neither of these apply- then its not worth it. Remember once you are accepted ED- thats it- you are either going to that school, or not going to law school for that admissions cycle. If you sign the ED form then decide to cancel it ( and they allow you to opt out) then you are looking at best a WL decision. If you have a list of schools that you can see yourself going- then dont do it. You never know if you are eligible for scholarships ( if you are above the medians for both LSAT and GPA then you are in the running for scholarships- especially the earelier you apply), and scholarship options can play a big role in your final decision making process. ITs really up to you, but i personally dont think its worth it unless you meet both #1 and #2 above.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:14 pm

almightypush wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Also, if you feel you have a shot at HYS, then don't ED anywhere.

At the beginning of my cycle (before I knew any better re: ED), I was planning on applying ED to Chicago - and would have, had I not missed the deadline. However, not only did I eventually get in via reg decision, but I also got in at HY. So in my case, applying ED would have resulted in me hanging myself with a lamp cord.

For OP and my own curiosity, what would you need to have in order to really justify "having a shot at HYS"? While Harvard can be somewhat predictable based on GPA/LSAT, the holistic process at YS may make "having a shot" less knowable.

secretad

Postby secretad » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Do you think paying sticker at t14 by doing Ed where applicable is worth it vs getting half scholarship at top 40 schools but out of t14. My goals are obviously to go to a great law school and work big law

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:27 pm

secretad wrote:Do you think paying sticker at t14 by doing Ed where applicable is worth it vs getting half scholarship at top 40 schools but out of t14. My goals are obviously to go to a great law school and work big law

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674
T14 = best chance at biglaw

shoop

Postby shoop » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:54 pm

I had borderline stats for Columbia and thought about EDing to give myself a better chance at getting into a REALLY good school, but I'm glad I decided against it because I ended up getting into Columbia RD and I still have a shot at HYS.

You need to ask yourself if the slight odds boost is worth losing a) even having a SHOT at any "better" school than the one you ED at, and b) the opportunity to be considered for scholarships.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:00 pm

This is a deeply personal decision. There's almost no way for us to fully conceptualize what paying off $200k is like. My professor's wife is a partner at Holland and Hart, and just paid off her $100k from UMich after 10 years. She told me that in retrospect, she wishes she had have just taken the money to our local TTT.

She said that 50 years down the road, the one thing we'll care about is how much debt we took out. If you think you'll get 50 years down the road and the only thing you'll regret is that you didn't make more money/garner more prestige/work more, then you should ED.

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:41 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
almightypush wrote:

For OP and my own curiosity, what would you need to have in order to really justify "having a shot at HYS"? While Harvard can be somewhat predictable based on GPA/LSAT, the holistic process at YS may make "having a shot" less knowable.

To be honest, I wasn’t even going to apply to Yale (thought it’d be a waste of time/money) until I received an invitation packet from them. It contained sample PS's, 250s, and tips, which – when combined with my gf’s goading – ultimately convinced me to send in an app.

So while I can't really say whether or not there’s an indicator for one having a ‘shot’ at Y (or S for that matter), I do know you have to take the shot to hit it.

sejinsejin

Postby sejinsejin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:10 pm

If I apply as an early decision and get accepted, will the school still give me the right to defer a year if I need that time?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:15 pm

If you love no bargaining power, do ED.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:55 pm

sejinsejin wrote:If I apply as an early decision and get accepted, will the school still give me the right to defer a year if I need that time?

I mean, that seems like a pretty steep price to pay.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”